For millionth time... Why is Kemper profiles so trebly/fizzy??

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

My attempt at making a profile for it. Lots of stomps :D

Thanks for trying some stuff out!

Here's me playing your original profile without any tweaks:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Opinion: it sounds a bit muffled and powerless... My pickups are rated to be "high output" but they often distort less than others.
    The original DI tracks from Hammerfall are horribly clippy sounding too, so if you tweaked the profile for the original DIs, that is fully understandable!

Now the GOOD thing is that your profile is not shrill and focused too much on the highmids/treble.

For your profile I also unabled my own low/high-pass filters because you already had them in the post-section.

Here's my tweaked version of the profile to fit my pickups better:

I basically disabled "stomp nr2" completely in the pre-section.
    Also more Gain and more Definition,
    Didn't touch the amp EQ or post-section EQ/compression.

It's a bit more bitey without turning into shrill

What I still can't get out of it, is that it still doesn't quite feel "tight and powerful".
    Hard to describe in words! X/

The Reampzone had that "tight and powerful" feel, even tho it leaned a bit too much to the trebly side of things.

BUT you're on the right track. :thumbup:

If you didn't recieve on your mail, here's a download link to some good stuff that might help you out!

https://we.tl/4XrWfBwy8u

It's a file with my own mixed drums and bass so you dont have to go through that process.
    Then I also prove two of my own recorded DI tracks
    And the two original DI tracks.

The original DIs sounds horrible! I would never let something like that be recorded into my computer ?( didn't good Di boxes exist back in 2003?

• So I had some time today, and I looked through and found this free profile from r_u_sirius it's called bognar Shiva Heavy. I didn't attach it because it's not mine but r_u_sirius profiles are pinned in the free profiles in case you like it. I don't know if I over did the low and high pass.. The drum and bass track, I included just for fun but if you have control over the single elements (Kick and snare at least) you can get much better results. Even though it doesn't sound very similar to the original but I kind of like it.

Here's all track with No low pass or high pass on guitar, just the profile

Edit: A note about that profile, it has a lot of bass and it might be what you're missing. The cab is Diezel 4x12 FL which has v30 I believe

Edited 10 times, last by Dean_R ().

• Well done, Deano.

Just needs a smidgen more bite, I reckon, for it to be able to cut through more.

My guess is that the LPF's slope is too-flat, meaning that it's impinging upon a much-wider frequency range than it needs to. I'd steepen it and raise the cutoff frequency a little if necessary.

• @Dean R Did you edit that profile at all or is it completly stock with no eq adjustments?

I might have moved clarity to about 2 but I don't recall if I did that because it's something that I do for most profiles. Nothing else so it really is stock.
    EDIT, I removed the reverb, so it's bone dry.

Edited 2 times, last by Dean_R ().

• He low and high-passed it, 'mariner, which is why I made the comment about thinking that the LPF was set too-wide - you can hear that it's attenuating a very-wide range of high-mid and high frequencies... IMHO.

You're on the beam Nicky, actually I do have some EQ filter types that automatically boost the highs right before they cut (the boost varies and is adjustable based on the Q) and also there are those that boost the bass right before the cut-off (in case of high pass filters). I did use a flat filter however, but Keep in mind there's basically 3 tracks, two guitars (panned left and right) then the bass and drums are all one track so I basically didn't do anything except pan the guitars and level. With more editing I can imagine more improvement i possible.

I do have to mention that r_u_sirius and many of the free profiles, are usually not intended to be mixed ready (like many of the commercial profiles), so there are many gems in there. r_u_sirius (I hope I'm spelling it right) has close to 400 profiles, many of which are on the level of the best of commercial profiles to my ears. YMMV

Edited once, last by Dean_R ().

• Yup, R.U.Sirius rocks, man.

If you've got the time and are so-inclined, maybe give a steeper-sloped LPF a go, Deano?

Thanks Nicky! Just edited the spelling in my posts to r_u_sirius (really great profiles for Free ;) ). I'm gonna try to give it a shot if I get home at a reasonable hour anytime this week.

Edited once, last by Dean_R ().

• As @sambrox has said its the type of tone you are looking for that is not that popular. It has nothing to do with the Kemper and everything to do with who is creating the profile. If I can create a profile with similar EQ on a Mini Head it can be done. Unfortunately I lack equipment, time and most of all the knowledge to achieve what you are after. This does not mean I will not try again. I will, its just I am extremely limited as to when I can profile a loud amp.

• Cederick - I find that Nick's excellent U.S Modern 4 DI 05 profile has the low-end you might be looking for. It's one of the only high-gain profiles I have found that really give the low-end kick I expect from my 4x12 V30 Rivera cab.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• It's in his US modern pack. Yeah it's a DI. You only have to find a suiting cab once and and then merge it.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Ok, so I finally returned from evacuation in Santa Rosa and had time to listen on my studio monitors to the original past.

What I hear is twofold. Firstly the cab that profile is using is horrrrrrrrrible, like literally it's an ice pick in my ears, are you sure the cab output is even enabled? Because this sounds like utter utter shite, like I couldn't even believe my ears how horrible this sounded. It sounded as bad as IR's, which to me sound pretty much like someone is using a cheap EQ on a DI. Find a good cab, maybe one from the VSP pack, because whomever did that knew what actual amps sound like and hasn't been poisoned by the 90's Mesa Rectumfryer sound and years of ear atrophy from Trotsky's favorite guitar sim - the Pod.

The second thing, and this is a big one - room sound. The original has lots of that small guitar room verb going on. You cannot achieve that through EQ... sorry, it just cannot be done, doesn't matter how much you might want it to be true, doesn't matter how much Kemper might want it to be true either. So if you crank up the space parameter you'll get closer, it'll sound almost like you've plugged your amp in a public latrine stall, so I suggest instead using a reverb with lots of damping... looots of damping. You got that? I mean we're talking felt walls here, damp that motherfucker all the way! You're not paying attention, I said damp it! Good. Now dial it back to be tasteful.

After that it's up to you, double track that bad boy. So far in my experience with the Kemper if you're after a specific tone it's sometimes no faster than just micing a real amp, it really is shit in shit out, gold in gold out. Start with the very best stuff you can find or profile your own amp. That r_u_sirius profile further up is better, but still needs the room and a little tweaking in the cab section.

Best of luck, honestly I think the biggest problem for me when it comes to any vintage tone (which is most of what I'm into) is the fact that the Kemper only emulates a close mic'd tone. Getting that room back in there is critical IMO.

Once I retrieve my guitars from storage I'll see about giving it a shot.

• I find the definition paramater makes the biggest difference to cutting that out of the profile, most profiles seem to come with definition at full or close to full, i pull that down to just over half normally otherwise it is shrill at gig volumes.

This whole trebe/fizz issue is the number one reason I am considering selling my kemper and dxr10 and moving to something else. I can dial in tones, but i usually have to over haul them to get them close to what I am looking for, these profile edits usually end up changing the characteristics of the tone so I find the whole thing a bit annoying. Sitting here with my charvel, kemper and drx10 i can flick through 50 profiles on the rig exchange and they fall into 1 out of 2 catagories, too bright or too dark. I am slowly coming to the conclusion that the kemper is fantastic at cleans but falls short for high gain. Dissapointing after having owned mine for 2 years.

I totally agree and have owned my kemper since 2012.
    I allways have to tweak like hell and fight to get a good meaty tone . when you cut the high end it ends up dull , if you dont , its thin and the pick attacks are too sharp and theres this scratchy high end thing.
    Ive heard theese issues on the ax fx and helix clips too so I think maybe its just an issue with modeling in general .

But I somethines think of selling the kemper alos , but not sure if theres anything better , axe fx heliz they all seem to have same issue ,maybe modeling has some room for improvement still?

• I alos agree with you on room tone , I find alot of the tones I love from records used mics in the room . the placement of a room mic not only affects the reverb but the eq curve , rolling off the highs making them less harsh but still cutting . I dont think simple eq can replicate that , and kemper is focused on close miking only and does it well i think , but lots of great guitar sounds used multiple room mics and you can hear it in isolated samples. Watch this guy on youtube running a plexi with 2 mics a close up one and a room mic and switching between them then blending , the blended sound is amazing ! the close mic sounds just like kemper to me which is good it does what it claims , but is there a way to emulate or model the 2 mics blended?

I have heard people say things like the kemper cant do amp in a room sound , But What Im looking is not the amp in a room next to me , but the sound of a amp in a room miked up and coming through monitors exactly what is heard on the recrding not just the close mic but the blended room mic also!!

youtube the room mic is half the guitar sound