Mixing suggestions?

• Been mixing for almost 3 days straight with just a couple of hours of sleep

Good results require discipline, hereunder aspects such as:
    - taking frequent breaks
    - knowing when you're chasing your tail
    - stepping away when needed - even for a day or two if necessary
    - keeping a clear head - hereunder getting enough sleep
    - being focused and retaining an overview
    - not getting bogged down with detail stuff that only the mixer might notice
    - not second-guessing yourself all the time
    - ... but do second-guess your critical thinking

Sometimes it can be necessary to start over if you're really backed into a corner. But I think you done this way too much.

It's also important to draw a line in the sand when the recording is done - make the recordings as good as you can, then take a couple of days away from the project - listen to it again and determine if it's acceptable quality. If you decided that it is at this point - NEVER doubt it again, but go forward from there. Bring it to its full potential in mixing, or as close as your skills allow.

• Yeah, it was of course tempting to remind Ceddy of these tried-and-tested rules of mixing, Michael, but his problem right now is the lack of time left before the label expects the mix.

That said, he could at least bear these in mind from your list:

- knowing when you're chasing your tail
    - being focused and retaining an overview
    - not second-guessing yourself all the time
    - not getting bogged down with detail stuff that only the mixer might notice

Never too late to implement these, and of course they should be Bourne in mind throughout the process.

• I think the ONLY thing from the list that may not be practical in the current situation is the thing about taking a couple of days away from it.

Cederick, provided you have saved (backed up) all the versions of the mix you've done so far, take the time to print each mix and listen to them somewhere else than your computer - at LEAST listen to them in iTunes or whatever you use for music listening. DON'T use the DAW for this.

Listen through each version, and decide which one you like the best (if you only have the latest version saved, everything else I say still applies).. On a notepad write down the three things you like the best, and the three things you DISlike most about it.

Then take those notes and get to work fixing these three dislikes. Focus on ONLY those. if something else pops up that you don't like, write it down for later, but don't try to fix it just now.
    You need to be specific - not just "the guitar tone". What is it about the tone you don't like? Break the issue down to the point where you know exactly how to solve it. If you can't do this without opening the DAW you can't really mix it anyway - simple as that.

Also be realistic. Maybe you can't make it stellar, but you can probably make it better IF you focus and hone in on what the biggest problem is.
    Remember you're mixing a song, not a solo rhythm guitar, a solo drum kit or a solo vocal etc. listen to the SONG not the TRACKS.

Always work from biggest problem to smallest, and keeping in mind that it's a whole song, not just a number of individual tracks.

When you think you're 80% there with your fixes of the three biggest problems (and without compromising what you DID like about too much), take a good long break - possibly take a shower if you haven't slept much (some people find it helps clear the head). Actually, maybe do that before anything else :)

After a good long break, bounce the track and listen to it again in itunes. Find the next three biggest problems, and repeat the process.

When you find yourself second guessing your recent work, refer back to the previous bounces in iTunes. If you find that the previous ones were actually better and you're just making things worse, then STOP. You're done. Use the previous version (because you DID save that version of the project, right?).

Do this something like 2-3 times, but only if you have the time.

1 time might be enough. If you've addressed the three biggest problem to around 80%, then you've just made a vast improvement to your mix. If you try to get 100% there you will screw yourself. If you try to "fix" anything that bothers you in one go, you will screw yourself.

If you're smart about your time in this way, you will make the result incrementally better in a focused way without losing focus and breaking your neck.

IF you find you like previous mixes better, great - then use those instead. If you're smart, you will - for the iTunes transfers I've talked about - make each bounce to the correct wav. format and settings so you could use those bounces for submission.

Also, be realistic. You can put in a lot of hours and get good quality, but without a lot of real, solid experience you will not get the same results as a "real" mix engineer (same goes for recording). But the result may still be very good, and perfectly satisfactory for people who just enjoy music. That's the goal you must focus on, or you will stumble.

• No one can function with out proper sleep
    Shit I can't even drink beer without sleep
    Well that's a lie but you know what I mean

Ginkgo, Brahmi and kola nut are all brain herbs I take for peak mental cognitive function (in a tea)
    If you stay awake take anti oxidants for the brain please (yes those herbs do that and even improve your memory)

I can't believe that given Ceds talent.. that there is not one guy in Sweden ?
    Who can't help the poor dood.Man that really does suck :(

And thanks for reminding me that I am tone deaf! :D

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

Edited once, last by ashtweth ().

• Ah shit well how much does a mixer cost?
    Your outside of Sweden right??
    If Ant can't get the tracks maybe
    @nakedzen
    Can mix for a small fee??

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• Also, be realistic. You can put in a lot of hours and get good quality, but without a lot of real, solid experience you will not get the same results as a "real" mix engineer (same goes for recording). But the result may still be very good, and perfectly satisfactory for people who just enjoy music. That's the goal you must focus on, or you will stumble.

Best advice on the thread by far. Words of wisdom @Michael_dk

@ashtweth I appreciate the recommendation but I have no idea what I am doing either. I just wanted to give @Cederick a different perspective.

• Yes I know it wont be "professional quality" but its not even remotely good

You're right, sell all your gear and play a paint bucket on the street corner.

I'll be honest with you man, this posting over and over, not listening to anyone is very tiring. Pretty soon no one is going to respond or care. You just want peoples approval of the changes you made on your own and are not listening or really seeking advice.

• I dont have time to stop and rest!!!

The deadline is in a few days!!!!

You're wrong. You don't have time to NOT stop and rest - and take a step back

This album will sound shitty and there's nothing I can do about it....

If there's nothing you can do about it, then don't fret.
    If there IS something you can do about, push aside the defeatist attitude. And then SLOWLY AND DELIBERATELY go about fixing the major stuff.

I have this issue where I can only get TWO results NO MATTER WHAT I DO

1. It booms and the lows are screwing up the entire mix
    2. I try to tame the lows and it gets thin and horrible sounding but in reverse

Patently untrue, most likely. There almost certainly IS something you can do, but you're too invested/panicked about the whole thing to think and act clearly to see it now. Hence my recommendation to step back for a bit.

After stepping back, you need to get a handle on a couple of things:

WHAT booms in the lows? Which instruments and which tracks? How often? When?
    Where in the lows?
    and
    Where do you want the thickness in the final track to come from?

• Plus sleep! You will wake up with a hard on and better ears!

Ash

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

MIX LIKE THIS :P
    :D:rolleyes:

• How much would you charge to help Ced, just out of curiousity, I could help but need to know figures first :)
    @nakedzen
    Ash