Profiles for medium to high gain - smooth and articulate? (Jazz fusion tone)

• Hi,

I am trying to go for a tone that is a cross between Frank Gamble, Shawn Lane. Smooth and yet articulate at the same time. I have a Suhr Modern with stock pickups, rosewood neck and basswood body. Another Suhr also rosewood but Alder body. Again stock pickups.

What I notice about the tone I typically get from these guitars is that they are very articulate but maybe too much so. Aggressive pick attack. I am looking for something smoother. Hard to describe. I want something that on neck pickup doesn't turn to mush on low notes, but stays articulate and smooth at same time if that makes sense. Neal Schon's tone on the live in manilla concert is also quite awesome.

Anyway, just curious what you would pick.

thanks!

Brian

• You should also be able to get there with the right SLO. On SLO's I like having the gain, bass and mids pretty high, cutting the treble and using the presence as my treble knob. It does wonders =)

• Check this freebie from rig exchange, ATM.HB.drive.KrisD.RG6

profiled by me, tweaked by KD for ultra smooth but dynamic lead tones.

watch this great vid, it's this profile in action

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

original thread here

• Having a Suhr GG Modern and a Suhr Standard I know what You mean, they are quite articulate and that is one of the reasons I love 'em.
    When hunting for these smoother tones don't under estimate the tone knob on the guitar. Before I got my Suhrs I never used that knob, and I actually never got along with a neck humbucker either, but Suhr pickups and even that tone is wonderful. You can just dial down a bit of 'presence' and still be clear without going fully wooly...
    Works nice even on single coils to a get a smooth jazz tone. I can't explain it but it does something that I can't replicate with a EQ...
    Of course a nice profile is a must, I've had a lot of joy with the Robben F like Dumble rig from M.Britt, but there is others out there.

• What have your results been?