[SOLVED] Monitor Cab Off - Unexpected results

• I have a bit of a problem to understand how to setup my profiler using simultansoulsy the Main Output for the PA and the monitor output for my monitor guitar cab on stage.

Regarding to this setup the manual says:
    "...you need to bypass the Cabinet Profile for the MONITOR OUTPUT, so as to avoid running a cabinet simulation through a physical cabinet. The soft button "Monitor Cab Off" in the Output Settings will bypass the Cabinet Profile for the MONITOR OUTPUT as well as the built-in power amp of PowerHead and PowerRack, while the Cabinet Profile stays active for the other outputs including the MAIN OUTPUTS."

So the cab simulation is active and the main output sounds good. My monitor cab sounds best with cab simulation off. So the "Monitor Cab Off" soft button appears to be the solution.

However - bypassing the the cabinet profile (using Monitor Cab Off soft button) the sound is different (and not as good as) from the sound when switching off the Cabinet button.

There is obviously something I have misunderstood. Thank you very much for shedding some light!

• If you shut off the profiled cabinet using the cabinet soft button, you disable it for the profile (like you are using a direct profile.) But this affects the main outs too, they would not have any cabinet.

Using disable cabinet in monitor, still allows the profiled cabinet in the mains but turns off the profiled cabinet in the monitor output, so you can use a guitar cabinet as monitor.

• I read the problem here as a difference between having the monitor sound with "monitor cab off" and having the cab section off completely.

Perhaps turning off "pure cab" globally and try again?

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Even though the monitor cab off is checked , any settings in the cab section can affect the sound. High Shift, low shift, and character, especially when dialed heavily one way or the other will affect the monitor output even if monitor cab off is checked.

You may or may not care for the sound in the PA but in this case I once turned the character knob from 0 counterclockwise to -5.0 and that seems to have the same effect as turning the cab block off all together with all the values at zero. With montior cab off i should add.

In either case, hope you get it fixed and get back to playing. Here's a thread I started that's kinda up that street in a different part of town Lol

Weird thing happening with helix and kpa...

• If you did correctly what you described it should work. There should be no differences between monitor cab off and cabinet off. Furthermore in release 5.3.1.13085 there is none.

I checked this by reamping the same riff over and over with different settings and inverting the phase in one track. If those tracks are identical you hear nothing. That's the case, as you can "see" in the picture below. So either you've got a defective unit or defective ears :D ...or they've changed something in the public betas. Please give us some sound samples and tell us which firmware version you've got.

Changing settings like low shift in the cabinet does make a difference even if the cabinet is off. But that's known and not part of your problem as it appears in both cases (monitor cab off and cabinet off).

• Changing settings like low shift in the cabinet does make a difference even if the cabinet is off.

Really? What is the rationale behind this?

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• I have had profiles on early firmware like Pete’s fortin Marshall where every mic’d cab sounded different on the same profile with cab off, but newer profiles I don’t notice it

• What kind of speaker are you sending the Monitor Out to?

If you bypass the cab section you'll need a guitar speaker to "re-colour" the sound as that's what you're turning off.

Even if you're running a guitar cab it's likely to sound different to the cab (and mics) used to create the profile.

• Really? What is the rationale behind this?

From what I understand it has something to do with how the cab is programmed. It's definitely not logic in terms of sounds.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost.

• Thanks for your replies!!
    I am wondering if my Kemper is broken.

Here my setup:
    OS 5.3.1.13085
    Marshall 1x12 plugged into speaker output of the profiler

To reproduce this behavior follow these steps:

• Load a brand new high gain rig e.g. Ton(e)hammer TH-Eagle Extra 19 (actually any other high gain rig should do it).
    • Uncheck "Monitor Cab Off" in the output menu
    • Pure Cabinet is 0.0 (with any other value the effect is still reproducible)
    • All cabinet parameters are 0.0

Now play with cabinet button on and off. There is a significant sound difference. This should not be, right?
    This behavior is particularly happening with high gain sounds. Sounds with no gain are hardly effected.
    Can you reproduce this?

• monitor cab off must be checked (activated) when you use a nonlinear guitar cab connected to the speaker output.

Ok, thank you. However - monitor cab off checked (activated) makes the difference between the sounds (cabinet on and off) even more significant. There should not be any difference, right?

• Now play with cabinet button on and off. There is a significant sound difference. This should not be, right?
    This behavior is particularly happening with high gain sounds. Sounds with no gain are hardly effected.
    Can you reproduce this?

That's the normal behaviour, that I can reproduce.

Ok, thank you. However - monitor cab off checked (activated) makes the difference between the sounds (cabinet on and off) even more significant. There should not be any difference, right?

There shouldn't be any difference on monitor out. (Of course there is a difference on other outputs like main or headphone out!).
    Activating (checking) "monitor cab off" should do the same as turning off the cabinet.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost.

• The problem has been resolved. I went to my dealer. He confirmed that there is a problem.

We did a reset on the system settings by starting the Kemper while holding the system button until the startup was completed.
    That did it.

Monitor Cab Off soft button checked and cabinet off sound the same now (cabinet on speaker output).

Thanks everybody for your input on this!