wah sounds awful

• Where you put the wah relative to your distortion makes a big difference to the sound. I prefer the wah AFTER gain for distorted sounds, but some people prefer it before.

Here's a good demo of both from Wampler:

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• What sounds awful? It sounds just like a Cry Baby to me.

There's no range. Just a small frequency in the middle

So in your case I'd connect your wah to the effects loop rather than in front of the Kemper. That way you can place it where you want it.

OK! Thanks. I'll try this. So output Cry baby to send and return to input Cry Baby, right? And then guitar in front input? But what do you mean with "place it anywhere you want"...

• Actually, to be fair what I would do is what I DID do - and that's use a Mission pedal and the Kemper wahs instead of my old "real" wah.

This let's me use it as a volume pedal or pitch pedal if I need.

• There's no range. Just a small frequency in the middle

It is possible to adjust the sweep range on a Crybaby. With such a short pedal throw, the full range of the potentiometer is not used.

Take the bottom cover off - and push the pedal to heel position. Pull the straight "gear" away from the potentiometer, and determine if the pot is at one end of its adjustment range. If not, and move the pot a notch or two in either direction. Give it a listen, and see if it sounds better to you. Keep adjusting until you get what you want.

If it IS at the end of the adjustment range, move it in the only possible direction, and see if you like the sound better, and adjust more, as needed.

FWIW, I switched to Kemper wah sounds, too. I like the extended pedal range that I can use with a Dunlop expression pedal.

• Thanks paults and Finally, I will try both options. I stll have a Boss FV 500-H expression pedal for connecting to Pedal 2 input but it didn't give me the right seamless wah sweep too on Kemper wah 01 and Kemper wah 02. The other wah's sound quite poor to me too.