midi controlling the Kemper with Cymatic Audio uTrack24

• Hey guys,

I have tried everything, but can not seem to get the whole thing to work.

I have bought a Cymatic Audio uTrack24 to use as a backing track player.
    The utrack has a midi out and you can include midi files to be played alongside the backing tracks.

I want to change the profiles on the Kemper via midi when the backing track is played
    The problem is, that it won't work. I use Cubase 8 and tried everything to create a midi track, that changes the channels on the Kemper.
    I must be doing something wrong.

Is there anyone who can step by step describe to me how it is done correctly? Maybe even a sample midi file so I can check if everything is set up correctly would be awesome.

I also have reaper and logic 9 here. So if someone got it to work with those DAW´s I could recreate this as well.

Thanks!

• Hey guys,

Thanks for replying. In Browse Mode all of the 128 Midi Program Changes are assigned to a certain Profile. My global settings are set to channel 1.

The utrack has a program which allows you to insert the midi to the backing tracks. It creates one file which is played by the device. So i guess that I can not
    do that much wrong there.

am not quite sure which midi signal it is, since I can not use Midi OX. As Soon as you plug in your USB Stick, from which the tracks will be played, the usb connection to the computer is lost.

It seems, that I can't seem to figure out how to create a midi program change track in cubase, that will correspond with the Kemper

• I guess so.

The thing is, that I can see on the display of the track,whenever it sends new Midi Program changes.But nothing happens within the Kemper.

Its weird

• I guess so.

The thing is, that I can see on the display of the track,whenever it sends new Midi Program changes.But nothing happens within the Kemper.

Its weird

If the MIDI PC messages that are being sent are not on the same MIDI Channel that is selected in the Kemper settings, it will not respond to the messages.

Is the Kemper the ONLY device that is being controlled by MIDI PC messages? If so, you can set the MIDI Channel in the Kemper to OMNI, and it will respond to PC messages received on any MIDI Channel.

• Ok, so i tried connecting my Fast Track C400 which has a Midi out to the Kemper. In Cubase I sent Midi ProgramChanges to the Fast Track and it works. The Kemper is switching Channels. So I think it must be a problem with the utrack.

I guess I have to talk to the cymatic guys now. Thanks again for your help guys

• From the little I have learnt about the Cymatic Utrack 24 via YouTube, I don't believe you can use the front usb port whilst the unit is connected to a computer. Using a USB stick or usb hard drive is meant for standalone usage for playing live and the usb port on the rear is for when you are using the Utrack as an audio interface. Theoretically it should work like your M-Audio Fastrack audio interface when using the midi output. Spending a bit of time making sure the correct midi channels are selected on each device should hopefully work for you. After recording in standalone mode and then connecting as an audio interface, you would then need to connect your usb stick/hard drive to a separate USB port. Then you need to open your daw and prepare to import your files ready for mixing. Then you could keep different files for practice/rehearsal and for when band members are absent you could potentially play that track to fill in for them like the drum machine did for Spinal Tap, although that didn't end well, lol. Good luck. Cheers from Australia

• AussieSlayer FYI- this thread is nearly 2 years old - I certainly hope Dante found a solution by now.

On that note- the uTrack24 will work as a 24 channel i/o device so long as there's no drive in the usb port. You don't need to disconnect it from the computer for this to happen, but it will not act like a audio interface when the drive is plugged into the usb port. Unplugging the drive will turn it back into an interface.

KPA Unpowered Rack, Kemper Remote, Headrush FRFR108s, BC Rich Mockingbird(s), and a nasty attitude.

• Hey TonyEoM I've got similar issues.....

I've had a Cymatic Audio Lp16 for a while now, but since getting a Kemper I figured I'd use the midi switching capacity to change Slots within a Performance.

When testing it out, I created a midi channel in Cubase and set the Program Changes to #00 (slot 1) through #04 (slot 5), exported the file, loaded it into the Cymatic along with a click track, and found the following issues :

- Issue 1: Latency. Seems that the Program Changes take time to activate the Kemper. Saw another guy using Protools to trigger the Kemper and he said he needed to factor in a 0.4second latency. Is this normal? If so, any way to figure out the latency?

- Issue 2: Program Change incorrect. Probably my bigger issue at the moment. It appears that certain Program Changes don't work at all? Hard to judge exactly which ones without doing further testing (due to the latency), but I think that #03 doesn't switch to Slot 4. Again, the same Protools YouTube video had a similar issue. So my question is, are there any references I can use rather than trial and error for hours on end?