How do you organise your Rigs?

• Hi,
    how are your Rigs organised?
    What is in RM and how do you name your folders?
    Which Rigs do you have in your Profiler?

It's time organise. I have >700 Rigs in the KPA. The Plan is to copy them to the RM and to leave <100 in the Profiler.
    So the question is if there is a generic folder structure which is mostly used or everybody has its individual folder naming and structure?

zuviel thread macht blead

• got to do some Kemper-cleaning myself. In Rig Manager I have lots of rigs and use subfolders arranged according to amp types (vendors is another option). I also have a few "favourites for this or that guitar" folders. The latter include duplicates or modified rigs. Since there is space in the hard drive I don't see duplicating a problem, and it is a fast way to get to those profiles you need for a particular guitar. Making performances is easier then.

Never too old for rock'n'roll

• yeah fav for guitars is important in my opinion
    cause there are a lot of profiles which sound excellent with a special kind of git
    but not with next one
    it seems to be very important to know if profiles were made / refined with single coil , humbucker or p 90 guitars
    or solidbodys or hollow body

• I have folders for "rig batches", a batch being for example a collection of profiles from the same session from a user who uploads to this forum. If one user has many such sets, that user gets subfolders. Kemper official rig packs are also batches, and commercial profiles.

Then I also have a few folders with favorites for specific guitars.

I have not really deleted any rigs from rig manager, so it contains also stuff that I imported but didn't love. I rely on memory to use the quality stuff. It would be a nice addition if rig manager supported moving folders, that would make it quite easy to move much stuff to an archive. Deciding to delete profiles is a bigger thought process - it makes more sense to me to keep those profiles as "plan B"-profiles, considering that I already invested the time to judge the profiles and save a memory of them into my brain.

On the KPA I try to keep a versatile collection that I'm familiar with so that when I am jamming without rig manager I can find a sound for whatever ideas are generated. My favorite rigs in the unit are prefixed with #0. Then they appear first in the list. I have other "tags" such as #1 or #d for secondary rigs or specific distortion rigs.

I have made in total about 18 performances. I try to keep them versatile as well and the goal is to have a varied but compact performance collection that I'm familiar with, so that I can quickly summon any relevant sound with my feet while playing. Right now though, many performances simply function as an "archive" of sets of sounds I liked years or months ago.

• In RM I've got two mains folders "Live" and "Studio" of 30 rigs or so each which consist of all my favorites mostly already tweaked and sorted by gain, 90% of what I use at any given time is somewhere in there.

For the rest, since I mostly use the profiles of two commercial profilers these days, I've got a folder Vendor 1, Vendor 2, "Others" (mostly from rig exchange and other vendors), and one "Effects" (which are rigs where just a specific effect have been worked out like a cool shimmer or whatnot) Then a sub folder for every amp within each vendor.

Inside the profiler, I just keep the content of those two folders "live" and "studio", so 60 rigs or so and the 10 or so performances I use most of the time.

• Thank you for your response.
    I can see no general routine. I think I will create guitar folders, amp folders I have already. An Effects Folder is also suits my demand. Then I will have enough but not too many folders. A left over or plan B folder will also content many rigs.

My live setup already contains 2 Performances for the Gretsch and one acoustic performance and I will add some Amp performances in order to "leave" the browse mode.
    I recognize me sometimes more at sound surfing than to practice in the browse mode...

zuviel thread macht blead

• In RM I've got two mains folders "Live" and "Studio" of 30 rigs or so each which consist of all my favorites mostly already tweaked and sorted by gain, 90% of what I use at any given time is somewhere in there.

For the rest, since I mostly use the profiles of two commercial profilers these days, I've got a folder Vendor 1, Vendor 2, "Others" (mostly from rig exchange and other vendors), and one "Effects" (which are rigs where just a specific effect have been worked out like a cool shimmer or whatnot) Then a sub folder for every amp within each vendor.

Inside the profiler, I just keep the content of those two folders "live" and "studio", so 60 rigs or so and the 10 or so performances I use most of the time.

Jed, you're livin' the dream, brother.

Oh how I hope I can get RM into a state similar to yours one day. I've created so much work in the meantime that I'll probably not live long enough to get there even if I started today. :D

• Jed, you're livin' the dream, brother.
    Oh how I hope I can get RM into a state similar to yours one day. I've created so much work in the meantime that I'll probably not live long enough to get there even if I started today. :D

Yeah, my life is a mess but at least the KPA is somewhat in order :D . Trying new profiles is fun and addictive, especially with all the new vendors and cool amps but I figured at some point, one's gotta stop toying around and get work done!

Do Your folders and sub folders in rig manager match what is on your pc and how did you get there ? Do we have to recreate every folder in rig manager ? Any easier way ?

• What I thought was that Rig Manager follows your folders you have on your "Mac/Windows" drive. I even tried looking for a 'Local Library" folder on my Mac. There isnt one.

Not that I completely agree with this format, once I figured out that RM follows no folder concept that is on your hard drive (other than the fact that you can drag rigs from it), things became a bit more understandable.

Just a bit. ;) I also renamed "My Profiler" to "Rigs in my KPA". Why? Because it makes more sense to me. In fact I wish we could rename all the folders in RM. We can? Then please tell me how.

Right now I'm debating to make more folders under the "Local Library" for Rig Makers/profiles like for instance "MBritt", etc etc, and then moving their rigs I have into their folder. And I have decided "for right now" that if I tweak on a rig and like the outcome, I just save it with a favorite tag, and this makes it easy to find then.

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

Edited once, last by spikey ().

• Do Your folders and sub folders in rig manager match what is on your pc and how did you get there ? Do we have to recreate every folder in rig manager ? Any easier way ?

No, I've probably got a ton of commercial/free rigs on my PC that will never make it to RM. I think it's a better approach to start by ordering what you are already using rather than trying to put everything you have in RM all at once.

Also, I'd much rather save by profiler's name than by amp name because the same amp profiled by 2 people will sound totally different and when I make a selection, it's much better to compare apples with apples with respect to eq or style.