Rack case advise

• Afternoon all

My decision to buy the Kemper was a 3 day affair...... The rack case not so bloody easy. I think I am slightly paralyzed by what I want to do so need a sanity check from the guys here.

I have decided on a 5u or 6u case as it will house my Vl3x on the base or on a shelf plus my shure wireless system.

What I also want to do is have all my XLR and jack cables plugged in PLUS mount the floorboard and a single Mission pedal on the removable lid that goes on the back of the case.

As shocking as this sounds I can't find a single retailer close by that has anything in stock for me to check so....

Kemper + cabling + floorboard and mission pedal = what depth?

Also is there space in the door panel for the floorboard plus mission pedal, and if so will 2 fit?

As a secondary question what would you buy 4u for guitar and 4u for vocal effects or straight up 5 or 6u to house all.

Cheers guys, I'm new to rack gear and there appears to be no set depth when people state Shallow for instance so it's a bit confusing.

Mike

• I'm trying to do a very similar setup!

4u case with Kemper+wireless+potentially IEM transmitter, with remote+mission in the back lid.

I've done a little bit of research and it seems like there is room in almost all shallow 4U case lids for the Remote (but not mission).

I think a rack case like this is ideal and here is another option. The reasons for this are as follows:

1. The brackets are not too far forward, which means you can transport it without the front lid, for easier setup/packdown, while still protecting the buttons
    2. Flat lids that will sit on the floor nicely (The gator moulded case lids would probably slide around since they are smooth and curved.
    3. The lids are also very thin, so you won't need to lift your foot up high to reach them like you would for some rack case designs. This is achieved by having the latch on the body, wheras many cases have the latch on the lids.
    4. Also looks way cooler than a gator moulded rack case.
    5. Shallow depth at 14" and 18" for the second option. Makes it much easier to carry and transport.

There are issues, however:
    1. They are pretty heavy, at 10kg. Half the reason I want a Kemper so much is to keep my rig light weight. These cases weigh more than the kemper.
    2. they can be a lot more expensive than the lighter weight gator cases.
    3. There is still a lot of unused space. A 10" depth would be ideal.

If anyone knows of a lightweight case that fits the first 5 requirements, please let us know!

HTH

• Hey man

Thank you for the response.

I would love a 4u but the Vl3x is quite a tall pedal so stuck with 5 or 6u.

I agree also with the lid/pedal storage idea as the molded ones are around 6cm deep so would need to raise the pedal.

They are actually quite cheep and I don't kind the extra weight as I've replaced my JVM and 4x12 with the Kemper and DXR so a little extra isn't a problem.

My other concern is I don't really need vocal effects so considering getting a 4u as my wireless is a shure stomp box rather than a rack......

I wish I could run my vocals and guitar into the Kemper at once so I can use a little reverb and delay.

Maybe I should ask that question as that would be bloody awesome.

Thank you for the response mate

Mike

• Great idea if it fits.

I stuff the KPA , remote and expression into a Gator 4U shallow case but don't recall if the remote would fit in the lid.

I use a small shure wireless as opposed to the rack......so can partially slip my wrapped remote controller under the kpa in the back.

Ihave been toying with trying to shoe horn all this into a 3U....

With all the stuff your using maybe a larger rolling case would be perfect.

Good luck. :thumbup:

• I really struggled with this myself. I have an unpowered Kemper rack and I have gone back and forth with an atomic powered wedge and a guitar cab with a power amp in the rack. I really wanted an all in one solution. I love the idea of everything being in the rack. Show up with the rack, take off the back, and ready to go in a minute. I set that up and it was heavy as hell. I finally settled on having all of the options possible. So, I used a 4u rack from odyssey (it has a bag that goes over the rack to store stuff) and I mounted the remote, along with 2 expression pedals, and my acoustic guitar pedal and separate wireless input, onto the same pedlatrain. Its a separate bag to carry but it really made the most sense for my setup.

This is the link to the odyssey rack:

http://www.odysseygear.com/odyssey-products/br408.html

This is my setup:

• Cheers MrSpag

It is a tough decision. My one is powered although I don't need the power it's just backup.

I just can't decide what to do and my biggest worry is ending up with a shed loads to carry.

In your 4u can your floorboard fit on the lid and if so how many pedals can you fit on?

I'm almost at the point I think a none shallow version with the Kemper at the front with a tray at the back to house the Vl3x and wireless pedal. Then utilize the two lids, one for the floorboard and one for the pedals.

I wish I had a place I could test a few.

My other though is to get rid of the vocal effects and buy a 4u..........

Too many bloody options

Cheers dude, I'll take a look at the link

Mike

• The odyssey rack case has a large pocket on top off the zipper that covers the front of the rack. It is just large enough to hold the remote and some cables. I used that setup for several months. I was still carrying more though, because of my acoustic guitar setup that I also take to every gig. So, for me, it was just easier to put the remote, the expression pedals, and my pedal for my acoustic guitar onto a pedal train flood board and carry it in a separate case.

• Out of curiosity, I tried the remote in my 4u lid......fit right in there.......

........ if you used some spacers......longer screws....and some rubber feet on the lid......... :thumbup:

Edited once, last by flcmcya ().

• Guys

How do you find the Gator cases in terms of having the lid on the floor. Is it to deep to access the pedal and does it slide about.

Still paralyzed by indecision but we start jamming again next week and I can't wait to take my Kemper but only if it's protected.

I gather you can't fit a pedal near the to the kemper..... That's what's lid twos for I guess lol.

What is stopping me is I want a 4u but I don't think I can fit the Vl3x in there too which would be awesome.

I may just need to buy one and try.

Thank you

Mike

• Take a look at the post above yours.... =O ... I don't use it this way but with some mods..... it wouldn't be buried in the lid. :thumbup:

I would imagine the TC would fit partially under the kemper but I'n not sure how big that unit actually is..........as I store my remote wedged under there now.

• Where did you guys end up with your rack decisions? Curious to see some pics as I'm looking to do something similar as well!

Did you find one that fits the remote in the lid well? Would love to hear some reviews. Thanks!