NAMM 2018

• Who's planning on going to NAMM? I am.

NAMM is the bane of my existence. ;) Mainly because I work the whole show. All day I dream about getting a chance to sit and not be surrounded by noise.

I’d love to hear they perfected the absolute capture of every amp

Well, it really captures a whole signal chain: amp, cab, speaker, mic, mic placement, mic preamp, even the cables.

• Whatever it is , it will be something major to the KPA, I don't see any other devices unless they compliment the current Kemper.

In the last couple of years I owned a Kemper, there were 3 big updates, Pure Cabs. Morphing, then delays.
    I predict Reverbs + Editor that will be released before NAMM. If nothing comes out, I will still enjoy the Kemper the same but I do appreciate all those who keep pushing for newer things, because it definitively contributes to the KPA evolution.

• What I can imagine in the near future is a KPA-VST for some reasons:

1. It does not compete with the hardware device since it is a great addition for many KPA-users.
    3. If it doubles as an editor, K-Team gets paid for developing an editor finally (which is fine of course).
    4. New user group: A plugin could be interesting for players not interested in the hardware device.

While I like the idea of a KPP, I don't think this is gonna happen. Feels somewhat too far away from the origin idea behind the whole thing.

Nothing but speculation though ;) .

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• It'd be very cool indeed, but hacked, it will be, which I believe to be a consideration as well.

• What I can imagine in the near future is a KPA-VST for some reasons:

If this is to ever happen that would be the ultimate solution for recording but they must link the KPA as a large dongle to insure that it isn't cracked. I would love for that to happen, but I just can't even imagine them taking this large gamble, Fractal was supposed to release a software version of their early AXE FX but never did.

• Me too, Bill. I've said many times that I'd love a T-shirt, but a hoodie would be awesome too!

I'd probably wear them every day, and therefore would have to by a heap.

It'd be very cool indeed, but hacked, it will be, which I believe to be a consideration as well.

Indeed, it would be hacked. No doubt about it, Dimi.

If this is to ever happen that would be the ultimate solution for recording but they must link the KPA as a large dongle to insure that it isn't cracked. I would love for that to happen, but I just can't even imagine them taking this large gamble, Fractal was supposed to release a software version of their early AXE FX but never did.

That still won't stop the crackers, Dean.

Line6 used the X3 as a dongle and it made no difference; it wasn't long before cracked versions of POD Farm v2 appeared.

• I doubt the company feels comfortable about the idea of having its code on the many peoples' computers that would be hosting the plugin, cracked or not, Michael. I think we've talked about this before.

Plus, iLock will be cracked or worked around again, if it hasn't been so already; it's a digital reality, a "when" rather than an "if" situation.

If I were CK, I'd want my secrets / algorithms to remain as secure as possible, which is as things have stood 'til now.

• If this is to ever happen that would be the ultimate solution for recording but they must link the KPA as a large dongle to insure that it isn't cracked. I would love for that to happen, but I just can't even imagine them taking this large gamble, Fractal was supposed to release a software version of their early AXE FX but never did.

They could use an iLok instead. That ought to be safe, i think.

But I don't think making a plugin version would make sense from a business standpoint if it's a replacement for the kemper :) Maybe if it was a "regular" plugin with just a limited number of amp models.

Well I meant a regular plugin, which has to be paid separately. A different product so to speak. Should have mentioned that ^^ . Crackers are gonna crack anyway.

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• Whatever it is , it will be something major to the KPA, I don't see any other devices unless they compliment the current Kemper.

In the last couple of years I owned a Kemper, there were 3 big updates, Pure Cabs. Morphing, then delays.
    I predict Reverbs + Editor that will be released before NAMM. If nothing comes out, I will still enjoy the Kemper the same but I do appreciate all those who keep pushing for newer things, because it definitively contributes to the KPA evolution.

I am with you Dean.

When I (my personal opinion and use model) look at the KPA, the biggest omission I see is the lack of a good spring reverb. In general, the verbs on the KPA land in the "OK" category for me. They sound good, but not great. They are way better than any cheap multi-fx pedal, but noticeably behind high quality verbs.

Definitely the 2 biggest requests on the forum have been the editor and new verbs.

One of my "wishes" would be a set of better drive/distortion stomps .... but after the verbs ;)

• I wouldn't be surprised to see a KPP as a cheaper alternative to the KPA.

Given that component cost probably are no more than 2-3% of the shelf-price of a KPA I see no point in engineering simplified circuitry. All those engineering-hours have to be recouped somehow. If there would ever be a KPP and/or a floorboard I bet it would just be a software-crippled unit with the same circuits inside. C.K. and his team should IMHO be working on the next generation unit instead. A floorboard may make some sense, and shouldn't be to much of an effort given the possibilities of combining the existing designs. Other minor tweaks to the current hardware are IMHO a waste of time. Not because the current hardware is bad, but because the hardware has its limitations and simply can't offer the performance required to keep up with recent competing designs. It is almost 7 years since the KPA was presented at winter-NAMM 2011 which makes it a relic in the digital realm. An editor for the current units could OTOH make a lot of sense because if well executed the editor could also be a "bridge" to future hardware designs.