Noiseless pickups and regular pickups combined

• Anyone have experience with single coil noiseless pickups?
    The usual/standard strat setup of having the middle pickup reverse wound/magnets cancels noise in the positions 2/4 of selector switch.

Changing the neck pickup for a noiseless one (which utilises a dummy reverse coil underneath to cancel hum/noise) would surely have a different effect when combining neck and mid pickup as its employing two reverse wound/magnet pickups?
    Anyone advice or experience on getting the best results in this situation?
    Should the middle pickup still be a reverse wound one or regular when using a noiseless neck pickup?. Also may impact the combination of bridge and mid pickup too.

• I've used Area 61, 58 and Blues/Blues 2 pickups from Dimarzio and the N3 (I think) in a Fender. Those pickups are in the form of a single coil, but they are really a "stacked" humbucker. They have the characteristic of a single coil. The lower output more so than the Blues 2 or other higher output versions. I'm a fan of the 2 and 4 positions so you want to stay lower output if you would like to preserve that sound. I'm more humbucker with series/parallel so even though I did install and use those pickups I've sold my strats and just make sure my humbuckers also have the series/parallel split.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• I use blade humbuckers in my strats. Irongear Jailhouse rails.They are wired so that I get single coils only (with humbucking in 2 and 4), or humbucking (in phase in 2 and 4). So best of both worlds, normal strat and humbucking strat. I don't get a single coil/humbucker mix but don't miss it. I like it so much I'm about to apply the same wiring setup using EMG H3, S4 and H4 in my Steinberger.

• thanks for all your comments, everyone.
    I've used lace sensors on a previous guitar in neck + mid with a HB in bridge. this works fine but the output was relatively low but i didn't mind that.
    The problem is that a few venues i've played at have a PA cab on the corner of the stage and my single-coils pick this up and i get the most awful screaming feedback (and not in a nice guitar-useful way) Problem is only with the higher gain settings. solution is switch to humbucker or turn 90 degrees to the PA cab or move further away. None of which are ideal.
    So rather than avoid hum, i'm trying to avoid this shitty-feedback, which on the occasions it has happened has been delivered by a HK actor top unit. Maybe these spill their EMF unnecessarily.
    Annoyingly, soundcheck on friday night was great. When it came to the gig these cabs were obviously turned up (or on?) and the nasties came to fruition.

Had some blade (seymour duncan hotrails) years ago but never warmed to them as they were more humbucker than single coil, even trying series/parallel/split config.

Looking at just one stacked single coil for neck. Maybe replace the mid pickup at a later date. I love the stratty neck tone but willing to compromise enough to avoid that deathly feedback.

• its a bit anoying that the Kemper is more noisy than a tube amp! But i am a stratplayer and love strat and tele with magnetic pickups, so i guess i have to deal with it! but it was kind of disepointiing that it was so sensetive to noice.. in live situations wich i use it 99% its ok! noone hear it :)

• its a bit anoying that the Kemper is more noisy than a tube amp! But i am a stratplayer and love strat and tele with magnetic pickups, so i guess i have to deal with it! but it was kind of disepointiing that it was so sensetive to noice.. in live situations wich i use it 99% its ok! noone hear it :)

I dont think the kemper is to blame anywhere, if anything its the pickups and external EMF factors.

• I dont think the kemper is to blame anywhere, if anything its the pickups and external EMF factors.

Same room, same gut

Same guitar same room and same volume, my Kemper/DXR is more noisy than my Koch tube amp!! especially on cleans! it seems very sencetive, and it varies a lot form venues to venues!

• I use Kinman Woodstock noiseless singles in my Strat and the in-between positions sound really Strat-like to me. I don't know if the middle pup is reversed or not but I never regretted the switch.

They have a bit more lower mid thickness and a bit less of the piercing treble.

• I have a strat with these.

https://www.fishman.com/produc…th-pickup-sets-for-strat/

with the rechargeable battery pack trem plate.

Totally silent and have a 50's low outpur chimey setting and at the pull of the tone knob have an overwound texas specials sound.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

M

• I totally would have gone with the Fishmans if they had existed back when I got the Kinmans.

As much as I like his pickups, Chris Kinman's website (the new one, no less) and business feel like the dawn of the Internet. It would be great to get someone with real design and marketing skills to get him into the big league.

• I totally would have gone with the Fishmans if they had existed back when I got the Kinmans.

As much as I like his pickups, Chris Kinman's website (the new one, no less) and business feel like the dawn of the Internet. It would be great to get someone with real design and marketing skills to get him into the big league.

I Live in New York and I had to order my Kinmans from a California distributor but it was well worth it. To my ears nothing does the strat tone Like Kinman's, there are many great noiseless strat pickups, but to my ears the Kinam's are the only ones that are indistinguishable from true strat single coil if that's the objective, not withstanding Greg Kotch phenomenal demonstration.

• My guess would be input levels issue. I don't use the DXR but I know that there should be some best or optimal noise level ratio setup recommended that you might want to consult the DXR manual or contact Yamaha.I would try to set the DXR at noon and the kemper monitor output setting to something more than the -12db defaults.

Guessing... i have tried several volume settings. It doesnt mather.. To get my fat clear biting clean i need to push volumes and I boost all my rigs, if not they sound dull and onedimentional.. I am not looking for thin compressed sounds.. My DXR is normaly only at 1/4. Turning down Kemper and turn up the DXR does not sound good at all!

• Anyone played a Lace Holy Grail pickup?
    A slightly different design, so i understand.

I've done a bit of a demo on some noiseless pickups.
    Would like to hear your opinions of the sound of each (not the playing :/ )

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

thanks

• Worth checking is the Suhr SSCII system which has given impressive results for me.
    Single coils - stock Suhr's or any brand but they have to be Clockwise Wound North Polarity - are quieter than humbuckers.
    No battery and no impact on tone I could notice.