Pure cab discussion

• Very interesting discussion. I think I'm going to bite the bullet, turn global pure cab off, and start adjusting it on a per rig basis. I'm glad I asked the question, but I thought pure cab being on at 3 or 3.5 for the default was supposed to be the best, but that doesn't seem to be the consensus here. Thanks again, everyone.

• I don´t like pure cabinet...i even don´t like it turned on and set to zero :D
    When it comes to highgain it muddys everything up imo.

I don't quite understand this.

You can turn it off in the output section, but in the cab section you can only set it to zero.

So is this a feelgood factor or does it actually change the sound by turning if off (as opposed to set at zero) in the output section.

Sterling Musicman JP150, Fender USA Strat
    Kemper Powerhead & Remote > ElectroVoice ZLX12-P | Palmer 1x12 Cab(G12M) | Sennheiser HD558
    Audient iD14 > Reaper

• It's a bit problematic to express some liking for pure cab. Many who dislike the option seem totally convinced, that it makes profiles sound "worse" (and those profiles, it does something good with are bad miced from the beginning and should have avoided anyway). And it is not usable in a mix - what a mess! Well that is true for some, but it is not so much for me :thumbup:

Alone the wish for some kind of amp in the room tone (for recording) will make some guys look :/

But "worse" really is just subjective. Smoothing out higher mid peaks and some harsh frequencies - some will hate, some see it simple as tonal option, they waited for. Same with tight vs. looser sound, clear vs. muddy, original character vs. new-amp-in-the-room-character - very subjective categories.

As far as I know, seller Rockprofiles does offer optimized rigs for both camps. Have not checked out, only the freebies.

All I can say is, I like the option and use pure cab at 3 very often. Best thing: It is very easy to compare - only one button :thumbup: Also very easy to try if it works in your mix. Record - compare - decide.

But thank you Kemper team for adding that functionality - I love to have it! But it's just me (a guy who once owned a bad tape copy from an even more rugged tape copy of Darkthrones Transilvanian Hunger and then was seriously disappointed from the improper GOOD sound of the cd release... the TAPE: still my benchmark for great smudged guitar tone - aaargh just kidding!!!).

• I don't quite understand this.
    You can turn it off in the output section, but in the cab section you can only set it to zero.

So is this a feelgood factor or does it actually change the sound by turning if off (as opposed to set at zero) in the output section.

I have turned it off in the outputsection...turning it on and setting it to zero does change the sound a bit yes

• I usually leave the Pure Cab turned all the way off. The only time I turn it on is if I'm running into a guitar cab with the monitor cab sim turned off and I'm not running the XLRs out to a p.a. or anything. If I'm just in the room with the speaker then I'll turn pure cab up a little to keep from having to eq the monitor output's highs and presence. I don't really care for what Pure Cab does to the XLR direct sound though.

• So is this a feelgood factor or does it actually change the sound by turning if off (as opposed to set at zero) in the output section.

If you go the output section and set Pure Cab to 0 and then turn it off, you notice a significant change.

Many who dislike the option seem totally convinced, that it makes profiles sound "worse" (and those profiles, it does something good with are bad miced from the beginning and should have avoided anyway). And it is not usable in a mix - what a mess! Well that is true for some, but it is not so much for me

I don't think anybody said it makes profiles "worse", but rather different or adds a "sameness" to all profiles. I can imagine for some guys that the KPA is a mic'd guitar sound and adding Pure Cab takes away from that, especially for recording. Ultimately it's a matter of preference.

But thank you Kemper team for adding that functionality - I love to have it!

I think it's a great option to have, even if I don't use it most of the time. I can still see the appeal for people.

• o.k. after EXCESSVE testing I decided to go from "global pure cab on" to the same method as @patrick2099 (thanks for bringing that topic to discussion again): Turning global pure cab off and adjusting only a few rigs!

I still like the nice full sound I can get with several rigs and without much tweaking, but I also have admit some points you guys have brought to the table in this and in other threads.

Still a very cool feature from Kemper, but I now agree with @Mike K (discussion in another thread) in that point: Pure cab should not be enabled by default.

• o.k. after EXCESSVE testing I decided to go from "global pure cab on" to the same method as @patrick2099 (thanks for bringing that topic to discussion again): Turning global pure cab off and adjusting only a few rigs!

I still like the nice full sound I can get with several rigs and without much tweaking, but I also have admit some points you guys have brought to the table in this and in other threads.

Still a very cool feature from Kemper, but I now agree with @Mike K (discussion in another thread) in that point: Pure cab should not be enabled by default.

Yeah, some rigs may benefit from pure cab, i totally agree, even though i don't like it. It's just a matter of personal preference after all. I see it as something optional, that's why i don't like it enabled by default.

• Interestingly enough, I don't think I ever used Pure Cab with any of your profiles and when I tried it I didn't like it either, but I like it a lot with quite a few other profiles. Your profiles clearly don't have the harsh artifacts associated with close miking that can be found not only in profiles but in real amps recordings.

Hey Dean,

I have the exact same experience with MBritt profiles. No pure cab needed.

• Is it possible to turn Pure Cab on for only the Monitor out?

I wish! And I think I've asked for this in the feature requests.

I like what Pure Cab does through my CLR as I'm listening to it, but I find that I often don't want it in the FOH because that extra sizzle from the mics is a help in the mix.

Maybe Kemper is listening...

• They're perfect for modern Rock, classic rock. classic metal to clean and country , so they would be considered dark for death metal, metal core etc. However with EQ you could turn them into anything because a good fundamental amp tone is there

There are far more and better options for metal for what i want. I cannot judge them for other music genres though. Evem himself has said that he is not metal expert. And yes, his high gain profiles are nothing special. It's not only about sound, but the feeling in my hands when playing. Also i don't like to apply to much eq to a profile to get it sound so much better, i prefer to search for better sounding profiles for my needs in first place, my eq changes are minor, when even made. Just my opinion, ymmv.

• Hey Mike,

FWIW, I have never considered MBritt profiles to be something to use with Metal.... of course, I don't play anything north of "Enter Sandman" in my band, and it is by far the heaviest song in our arsenal ;)

• I've purchased a number of MBritt packs and only saved 5-6 profiles, and I pretty much never play them. Just there for novelty (like the Klon profiles). Too dark for my taste and I'd sooner find brighter profiles to my taste than EQ them to death and make them sound more like the KPA and less like the source tone. I think they can get the vintage vibe fairly well. His high gain "metal" stuff isn't remotely close to a tone most metal guys would use. Some in the FB group say they use them for that reason but tweak them to death. Understandably, high gain isn't his thing.

Turning off Pure Cab made really dark profiles like MBritt and Top Jimi more palatable, but still much better options for my tastes.

• There are far more and better options for metal for what i want. I cannot judge them for other music genres though. Evem himself has said that he is not metal expert. And yes, his high gain profiles are nothing special. It's not only about sound, but the feeling in my hands when playing. Also i don't like to apply to much eq to a profile to get it sound so much better, i prefer to search for better sounding profiles for my needs in first place, my eq changes are minor, when even made. Just my opinion, ymmv.

Exactly, I agree.