SOLVED: Kemper falls out of SPDIF sync with Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

• Hi all!

I have a problem with my brand new Scarlett 18i20 sound card. I'm well familiar with Focusrite from my previous Scarlett 18i6 but now I'm having some problems getting SPDIF to work:

I open Focusrite Control and find the Device Settings to make sure my sample rate is set to 44.1kHz and the Clock Source to external, like I used to on my 18i6. This works for a second or two at a time before the unit loses its "Locked" status with the Kemper and I get sound dropouts. The lock then comes back for a moment, I hear sound from the Kemper, before it drops out again. Rinse and repeat.

As I said, this exact same setup, same cables, used to work fine with my 18i6. Has anyone experienced anything similar with the 18i20 or another sound card?

• False alarm: turns out the cheapo phono cable I've been using as a poor man's SPDIF cable wasn't good enough anymore. I tried with the short SPDIF cable I have and it works so I guess I'll go out and buy a better/longer cable now ;)

• Hey there,

are you sure it is the SPDIF cable? I recently upgraded my recording gear to the 18i20 and am now facing the same issue.
    What cable (length) would you recommend? The one I'm using is ~1.5m.