Windows Thunderbolt

• I'm looking at finally getting my home studio functional again, and the world has changed a bit since the last time I did this. Since moving several years ago, I've essentially been without a recording setup. I'm a Windows guy, and I understand that Thunderbolt is now available for me. Is anyone using Thunderbolt on Windows, and do you have any advice to give regarding hardware selection?

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• The Discreet 4 looks interesting, but I was also investigating the Presonus Quantum 2. Also, it's not clear to me whether a separate interface box is required for the Thunderbolt interface ....

• didnt know the presonus box
    looks cool if so many in and outs are needed
    antelope has by far the best mic pres
    and the sofware plug ins are excellent
    your computer has to have thunderbolt built in
    otherwise none of these boxes will work
    im on Mac and there is TB built in
    its fast and have the lowest latency . nearly zero

• Precisely why I was looking for someone running Thunderbolt on Windows, so I have a better idea of the hardware required.

• Hey Zapple, I just did this and you'll need to update your entire pc to make the switch (depending on which motherboard you choose). Windows 10 is a must, I7 processor min with 16 gigs ram. Good power supply, and video card if you game, and a set of dedicated drives (SSL preferred, one for OS and one for workflow). The key point is your thunderbolt port must be right on the board (not a card), you'll have issues. Also, try and get a t-bolt 3 port or a couple because everything is moving in that direction.

UAD Apollo Duo, Quad, or 8p is the best. Call Sweetwater for awesome promotions from UAD right now. I picked up a Duo the other day and get a free quad satellite which ups the power to 6 chips. Nice and fast for the real time plug-in DSP. The pre's are top of the line, has all connectivity and the plug-ins are some of the very best.

Antelope is quality, however a lot come back with issue's according to my Sweetwater rep! The Clarett 8PreX is decent but for the same price you get so much more out of UAD.

Cheers,

Shawn