Using a separate DI instead of the KPA's input

• Hi guys,

pretty much asking myself what the title implies:
    Is there any benefit to using something like an avalon DI or something similar instead of the kemper's imput to record DIs for reamping?

My test recording DI so far:

Kemper input > SPDIF> RME Fireface > Cubase > ReAmp >>> sounds like it is supposed to
    RME Fireface Instrument input > Cubase > ReAmp >>> sounds pretty similar to kemper input when level matched
    UA 610B > RME Fireface > Cubase > ReAmp >>> "warmer" would be putting it extremely positive - lacking tons of clarity to be honest

Reamping is always:
    Cubase > SPDIF > Kemper > SPDIF > Cubase

What are your experiences. Found a decent Avalon DI on the German "Craigslist" equivalent. Really want to buy it, but not if I end up not using it :D

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Tim

• Yes, there most definitely is!

Try this:
    - Plug your guitar into a DI of some kind if you can
    - Run the 'thru' into the Kemper, and record both.
    - Then, reamp that part via SPDIF to the Kemper
    - Compare/phase cancel.

In my experience, the DI reamped via SPDIF will sound better than the guitar run through the front. Cleaner, clearer, a little less blankety/woofy.

I'm not saying the KPA input is going to prevent you from getting an awesome done, I just know that I prefer tracking a separate DI regardless and the added benefit of avoiding the Kemper's analog input is something I enjoy.

To answer your specific question, I love the U5 we have in the studio and use it for all guitar/bass tracking. The "Tone" settings are really cool on bass especially, and sometimes work well on guitar when used subtly or for clean/acoustic tones.

• Ah, you mean by adding some body to the DI, etc. Sure, that might work. But I'm not sure you couldn't get similar results by using a nice preamp to the reamped signal. Or even a different profile.

It would definitely not be the same as the sound of your guitar through the Kemper directly. Better maybe, but not the same tone. Could definitely be beneficial, I agree.

• Ah, you mean by adding some body to the DI, etc. Sure, that might work. But I'm not sure you couldn't get similar results by using a nice preamp to the reamped signal. Or even a different profile.

It would definitely not be the same as the sound of your guitar through the Kemper directly. Better maybe, but not the same tone. Could definitely be beneficial, I agree.

No, not affecting the DI in any meaningful way. Tone knobs turned off, Avalon run straight into the line-in of the interface. The Avalon DI quality is just better than the Kemper, and I suspect that my interface has better A/D than the Kemper does after its own DI.

I always record a DI and tend to reamp via SPDIF anyway, so this isn't an issue for me, but it's definitely something I have come across.

• No, not affecting the DI in any meaningful way. Tone knobs turned off, Avalon run straight into the line-in of the interface. The Avalon DI quality is just better than the Kemper, and I suspect that my interface has better A/D than the Kemper does after its own DI.
    I always record a DI and tend to reamp via SPDIF anyway, so this isn't an issue for me, but it's definitely something I have come across.

While I’m sure there are DIs that are higher quality than the Kemper’s DI, it still remains that the reamped signal is not going to sound like reamping directly with the Kemper.

Again, while additional harmonic content, body, etc, are great, I’m not sure you couldn’t get similar result so through post-processing of the Kemper DI signal or the reamped tone.

Of course, I would love to hear some real world examples. With DIs with tone controls, I think the results could be hit or miss, depending on what settings you use. That might not work to everyone’s advantage.