Looking forward to seeing whether Kemper does a floorboard. If not, then what?

• I've been really looking forward to a Kemper floorboard, and really hope they'll come out with one. I have been thinking about getting another one just for ease of transporting my rig when I jam out (though I really like the stereo rig I've built after I traded it away).

If they don't, what would you guys say? AX8 or Line 6 Helix?

Come on, Team Kemper, it'll sell like hotcakes.

• They will have one.....it just may not come in your time-frame. I would not be surprised to see one announced at NAMM in January. But, considering the long wait for the new reverbs, it could be announced later.

I bet that they are looking to have some (or all) of the fabrication done overseas. There is no way they could be cost competitive with Line 6 by building it in Germany. However, choosing a manufacturer, getting CE and UL certifications, having samples made, alpha/beta testing,scheduling production, etc. takes a while. Line 6 had been working on the Helix for 5 years before they released it.

• Yes, the KPA and Remote option is always there. I've been eyeing the one they have at the local distributor. Just need a more portable rig, my current dual setup is necessary, but it's back-breaking to move it just for jams along with the amps outside the house. An all-in-one floorboard seems to be the ticket. Still would need to lug around the synth stuff despite that.

[Blocked Image: https://imgur.com/0FEAkHm][Blocked Image: https://imgur.com/0FEAkHm][Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/0FEAkHm.jpg]

• That's a pretty wild rig! I can't imagine setting that up and breaking it down every night. Also the stage footprint is pretty massive. I don't usually have the luxury of big stages. :)

The answer is still "I can't believe you dumped your KPA". ;)

• Man

When I gigging about 15 years ago I remember our other guitarist using a Boss GT5 if I remember correctly.

Playing in a university a guy dropped then kicked his pint and soaked the pedal.... Instantly died.

The guy borrowed money off me and bought a Line6 pedal....... 4 months later some guy headbanging with his bottle in his hand splashed the Line6...... Dead.

I would never buy a floorbox that houses everything after that experience.

Just my personal view.

Mike

On a plus note though I used modelling pedals for years, same gigs as him no issue lol.

Edited 2 times, last by Audiopilot: Remembered which pedal he used lol ().

• Yikes, if I can offer a suggestion about your boards it would be to try and invest in smaller patch cables. Try and get the exact lengths you need or close to. This will help immensely with your overall tone, and less chance of tripping. =O Looks like some fun gear. 8o

Oh, the pedalboard has short cables. I just need to find a way to custom build or buy midi cables, they’re so expensive. Plus, it’s a dual amp setup, with stuff running to the front of the amp, then stuff with the fox loop of both amps. That explains the rat nest.

Thanks!

That's a pretty wild rig! I can't imagine setting that up and breaking it down every night. Also the stage footprint is pretty massive. I don't usually have the luxury of big stages. :)

The answer is still "I can't believe you dumped your KPA". ;)

Some very interesting technology on the other side. I now think instead of selling the Kemper, I should have bought a second one. It’s on the cards!

Hah, yeah, that’s bad luck. I would really like another Kemper. I’d also like a more compact form factor that’s all in one. Can’t win on this right now.

• I'm entirely with you, I'd stay away from a floorboard unit, but keep in mind that some of us play heavy r n'r in bars and some play quiter genres in quiter places

• Without an editor, doing more than just loading the profile on pedalboard would be quite tough.
    Imagine getting down everytime you want to set the EQ or increase the delay rate...
    Competition has pedalboards, but also editors. So you can prepare conveniently your profiles sitting by PC/MAC and just use them on stage.

• Without an editor, doing more than just loading the profile on pedalboard would be quite tough.
    Imagine getting down everytime you want to set the EQ or increase the delay rate...
    Competition has pedalboards, but also editors. So you can prepare conveniently your profiles sitting by PC/MAC and just use them on stage.

Just one less piece of gear, I figure. I'm actually looking into a Line 6 Helix LT unit, it isn't very big, or expensive, and I've heard the tones are more than passable. Has an editor too.

But I really love the tone of my dual amp rig, I actually think it sounds much better than the profiles I was using on the Kemper. I'm quite keen to get my hands on another KPA unit and then create my own profiles. And then get one more unit. While unwieldy, It'll be much easier to cart the damn rig around without breaking my back.

Check this out. Granted, it could be better, but this was really just a spur of the moment test for someone, rather than a concerted effort. Everything recorded in one shot, I played the drums too. The second section after the short pause is the one you want to check out, at least the first bit before I start noodling. The third is also pretty good. The first is basically demonstrating that sound in a live mix without any EQing or anything.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I really feel that this was what I was missing with the Kemper, i.e. my own tones for my own guitars and my own playing style.

The clip also reinforces the fact that Kemper 2 needs to have dual amp chains.

• Kemper is good for replicating your tones. So is axe fx 2 btw. Just a bit more work to get there, but with the possibility of more tweaking. Axe 8 Lacks tone matching but is still quite capable of getting close to your rig 's tone if you know what you're doing with it. Helix.. Great, but not as much on offer on the amp side as axe. I'd either go axe 8 or wait and hope for kemper floorboard.. Now if you dare for dual tones... I wouldn't think you'd wanna buy 2 kempers to get there.

Edited 2 times, last by Dimi84 ().

• I think the Kemper has so many bases covered when it comes to good tone. After all, about 99% of what you put into it is what you get out of it, the nitpicking about an inherent character and insufficient bass response notwithstanding.

Just playing around with two amps tells me that a second Kemper would have been a perfect solution for me at the juncture I was at in my solo project. Coupled with a couple of bits from my current setup, such as the overdrives and the Mimiq, and I bet I would have been happier than I was with the Kemper.

Of course, money has to be an object, I can't drop 4000 euros on two Kempers any time soon. Hopefully in the first half of next year I'll have a little saved away to pick one up. Of course, it would be cheaper and more immediate to go into something like a Helix LT and I am really interested in fooling around with some of their Variax technology, never having used one.

I think some of our users go Variax into Kemper, right?

• I got a Helix LT for the portability issue, and for the fact i have a lot of bases to cover soundwise. With a sleek bag it fits the measurements of all airlines hand luggage-rules....

Bought a couple of good IR's and tweaked it at loud volume with the luxury of a great computer editor!!. Now it sounds almost as good as my Kemper, and with my guitar on my back, i carry my whole rig easily, with a hand left over for a beer or something :)

• I got a Helix LT for the portability issue, and for the fact i have a lot of bases to cover soundwise. With a sleek bag it fits the measurements of all airlines hand luggage-rules....

Bought a couple of good IR's and tweaked it at loud volume with the luxury of a great computer editor!!. Now it sounds almost as good as my Kemper, and with my guitar on my back, i carry my whole rig easily, with a hand left over for a beer or something :)

Cool. The Helix LT may be my entry point into Variax guitars, if I do decide to take the plunge. Then again, I'm not sure I really need something like that.

• My buddy gigs with a Helix LT and gets complimented on the quality of sound all the time. Never tried one personally but if you can pick one up and play it why not, as long as if you don't dig it you can get your money back :thumbup:

Dude, you wouldn't believe the amount of gear that I did not get my money back on. That's definitely not my primary consideration nowadays when buying gear haha

• I don't get people saying Helix is so affordable. I definitely think the LT is probably considered a cheaper alternative but where im at the kemper cost about the same as the standard helix and sounds a lot better. I am really interested in the new mooer ge200. It is super portable and supports custom IRs. at 300bucks it seems like a no brainer.