Like the real thing?

• All,

Let me start by stating that I LOVE my Kemper and XITONE setup. Haven't looked back since I got it. My valve amps are gathering dust and for my live work I'm getting as good a sound as I ever have with total consistency. Ticks all my boxes and I'll never go back.

Last week with the band however our new bass player mentioned he'd got some old Marshall thing he'd been given and bought it over last night - it turned out to be an early 70's 1959! 100 watts of 'sod master volume' insanity..

After we'd played though the set, for shits and giggles I plugged it onto a 2 x 12 V30 loaded cab I had bought over, jumpered the inputs and fired it up. OMG...

The difference in feel and response from my regular Kemper squeeze seemed pretty profound. I'm running the MBritt packs btw which are great...

Anyone else found this or found a way to get the Kemper closer? Am I just imagining things?... I've borrowed the head for a couple of weeks (with a promise to BIAS the thing as an incentive). I can see me falling out with the wife over the next few days!

Let the roar begin..

Regards,

Si

• With all the new great commercial profilers, people seem to be intimidated of doing their own profiles thinking theirs can't possibly compete with MBritt or all those who use the best mics etc, but you've got to try it for yourself. Many of those who do their own profiling (even if it's just with basic miking techniques) end up doing their favorite profiles because they fit their gear/taste better. MBritt, Bert and co. all started doing profiles for their own use first. In other words, if you have an amp you like, give a shot at profiling it.

The other element of your post is about stage sound. I'm not familiar with that Xitone cab but to me it's getting a bit pointless to try to chase that perfect stage sound. As long I know the FOH gets my genuine sound, then I just try to approximate this on stage depending of what is available on the gig (either an in-ear gig, or use the cabs on the backline (with monitor cab off) or the stage monitors). Just moving a couple of feet on either side of the monitor/cab throws off the eq/mix/balance so if I really need that perfectly balanced sound, I will stand at this one spot, otherwise I just focus on not letting the sonic situation affect my playing. Listening to your performance (if it was recorded) afterwards gives feedback on how it actually sounds out there and I feel it gives me confidence for the times where I'm there playing while thinking the mix is awful.

• Thanks for the responses all.

I've got some time in the studio on 18th and will be building a set of merged profiles. Only profiled using Direct and Studio prior so hopefully shouldn't be too hard to do this. Range of mics and some decent pre's so be interesting to see what I can get out of it!

I'll post on RE so peops can have a play..

Si

• Yeah, the way to get the Kemper closer is to, you know, profile with it, that thing it was designed to do...

Sorry I don't mean to come off as an ass there, and I'm glad you're going to do this, but it's just that it seems like every time someone has issues with the Kemper not sounding like an amp they have access to it's because they haven't in fact profiled that amp. According to a few interviews I've seen of CK the intended purpose of the Kemper was to overcome the issue that traditional modelers have of exactly that, because they're modeled after some amp that the engineers who build the modeler have access to not the one that you or I have, and every amp is unique, especially so with vintage amps, so of course they sound and feel different and people complain, so the solution is to allow you to profile your own amp and get something that does sound and feel like your own amp.

You just can't expect other peoples amps or musical choices to match up to your own amps and musical choices. Commercial profiles are nice and all, but they're representations of what other peoples amps sound and feel like, as well as what their signal chain choices are. If you do it yourself you'll get the sounds that you like, you can also adjust to make sure that you get the dynamic range and headroom you need (hint - don't profile with too hot of a signal), and then slam it through the same cab or something that makes it as loud (this is really important when comparing) and you'll be much happier with the result. Also don't forget to do a re-amp through both from the control room, this will help you gauge how close the result is in a clinical way without bias involved, plus it really helps during refining.

• With all the new great commercial profilers, people seem to be intimidated of doing their own profiles thinking theirs can't possibly compete with MBritt or all those who use the best mics etc, but you've got to try it for yourself. Many of those who do their own profiling (even if it's just with basic miking techniques) end up doing their favorite profiles because they fit their gear/taste better. MBritt, Bert and co. all started doing profiles for their own use first. In other words, if you have an amp you like, give a shot at profiling it.

true. we can only encourage everybody to do their own Profiles. this doesn't mean that those will replace all the commercial ones but it is invaluable to have your own signature sound at your disposal.

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here