Direct Profiling

• Hi guys,

I've just been messing around profiling my 100w Marshall Super Tremolo. Since I can't crank it up at home I was profiling via the Direct Out on the Koch Loadbox II and then adding a cab afterwards. What I seem to find was that after the initial profiling finishes, the direct tone sound fairly close to the direct sound of the amp. If I then refine the KPA seems to be trying to compensate for the harsh top-end of the tone, which is expected as it's direct, this results in the profile sounding less like the Amp, you then refine again and it sound even less like the original.

As I say the initial profile does sound pretty good but it would be nice to have a mode for profiling direct if the KPA is trying to compensate for something during the refining process.

Anyway I suppose the tip could be, if you're profiling direct then carry out the initial profile and save it without refining.

Would be good to hear other people experiences about this especially as profiling a direct amp is a good way for running power amp/guitar cab.

Spence

• I experienced the same today profiling with a loadbox II. I went to browse mode and back to profiling mode and the second time the refining process was working well... A bug? :huh:

Saludos!
    Paco

• I would be interested to know how others are profiling direct. Are you connecting your load box to the speaker? If so are you attenuating? Are you going from load box with no speaker connected?

When I tried to use a direct out from the line out of my attenuator into my DAW with impulse responses I found (a) if I had no cab attached or a cab attached with full attenuation the resulting sound was a bit thin and had some fizz around the edges (b) The sound improved if I had the cab attached and had some sound going into the cab (d) the DI sound plus IR was best when there was no attenuation.

The DI profiles I have recently uploaded have been made with no cab attached to the attenuator.

Vintage amp obsessive

• I prefer the ones Ive done with the palmer in line between the amp and cab (i.e. with the cab still attached). There is no attenuation whatsoever here as the palmers load box is disconnected when you plug the cab into it. Direct out bypasses the cab sims too, in effect just using the unit like a DI only.
    Im no expert but maybe its because the amp 'sees' the cab and reacts to it as it usually would.
    Actually, the ones Ive uploaded so far are the ones I did with the load box activated. Will change them to the 'no load box - cab attached' ones later.

• 'Im no expert but maybe its because the amp 'sees' the cab and reacts to it as it usually would.'

I think that must be it. When I get some time to go to a studio to get mic'd amp profiles I'll also get some DI profiles done with no attenuation with a D1-1000 between amp and speaker.

Vintage amp obsessive