Creating a profile

• Quick question about Profiling. When you profile an amp, does the volume of the amp being profiled need to be loud, such as stage volume loud or can you have the volume low and still get the same profile?
    Thank you

• The profile will match the sound of the amp at whatever volume it is set at. For amps with good master volumes that rely more on the preamp for the sounds, you can get good results at just about any volume level. However, if you want to capture a profile of a screaming non-master volume Marshall, you're going to have to profile it at that volume level to get that sound.

Attenuators are another option as you can push the amp hard without blowing out the windows, but again the profile will capture the sound of the amp with the attenuator in the chain. Some attenuators do a really good job of not interfering with the sound and dynamics, but the older, resistive load units (Hot Plate, Marshall Power Soak) are going to start changing things once you go beyond about 8dB of attenuation.

Another option is direct profiles with a load box. This will give you totally silent profiling, but you'll need to add a cab block to the profile afterward to complete it.

• be aware that if you're profiling a 100w plexi on 10 you need to have ear defenders on or not be in the same room as the profiling noises get LOUD....seriously LOUD. And Make sure your speakers can actually take what the amp is going to push out when it's being profiled.

Be careful with your hearing. :D

M

• The profile will match the sound of the amp at whatever volume it is set at. For amps with good master volumes that rely more on the preamp for the sounds, you can get good results at just about any volume level. However, if you want to capture a profile of a screaming non-master volume Marshall, you're going to have to profile it at that volume level to get that sound.

Attenuators are another option as you can push the amp hard without blowing out the windows, but again the profile will capture the sound of the amp with the attenuator in the chain. Some attenuators do a really good job of not interfering with the sound and dynamics, but the older, resistive load units (Hot Plate, Marshall Power Soak) are going to start changing things once you go beyond about 8dB of attenuation.

Another option is direct profiles with a load box. This will give you totally silent profiling, but you'll need to add a cab block to the profile afterward to complete it.

Dual distorting stages = problems.

So amp volume can matter.

If you are getting preamp distortion plus power amp distortion, even quite little power amp distortion, much of the time, chances are you will have problems.

The profiles most often comes out weird in these cases. So super loud volume may not be desirable.

Much of the time, profiling amps, my struggle is finding the spot where kemper gets confused, and profiling at a slightly lower volume.

Of course it is possible to just profile the amp at a way lower volume, if you don't want power amp distortion, or even power amp slightly compressing, and not bother with the above at all.

Have you actually tried this? the sound coming out of the powerstation reactive load was nothing like the reference amp sound...a lot of people said they had the same issue, just wondering if there was maybe something different you were doing?

• Quick question about Profiling. When you profile an amp, does the volume of the amp being profiled need to be loud, such as stage volume loud or can you have the volume low and still get the same profile?
    Thank you

A tube amp sounds different on different volumes and the microphone gets hit with different levels as well.
    I bought my KPA today and profiled my Dual Rectifier right away and while profiling it, I got the message that the KPA is clipping and I have to reduce the amp‘s level. The amp was not very loud. That said, the range of volumes seems to be very limited anyway. So I‘d turn it up as loud as it gets without showing the error message.

• A tube amp sounds different on different volumes and the microphone gets hit with different levels as well.I bought my KPA today and profiled my Dual Rectifier right away and while profiling it, I got the message that the KPA is clipping and I have to reduce the amp‘s level. The amp was not very loud. That said, the range of volumes seems to be very limited anyway. So I‘d turn it up as loud as it gets without showing the error message.

You need to plug your microphone(s) into a mixer of some sort so you can reduce the level coming back into the kemper. Otherwise you're NOT getting the true sound of the amp if you're turning it down. You'll need to put the pad on the mic's if using a condenser and also probably need to use the pad on the desk. Most mic's can handle very high SPL, be careful with ribbons, use a pop shield if it's really loud.

M