Superior Drummer 3 test!!!!

• I just bought Superior Drummer 3, so the last 30 minutes or so I have tried cooking up something 80s-ish heavy metal sounding kit!!!
    I used a Bob Rock preset as foundation and then added a couple of snare / kick samples and added more "classic reverb" on snare, kick and toms.

So far so good! :thumbup:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I still think recording acoustic hihat/rides would be a good idea to avoid the "drum plugin hihat/ride repetitive sound" but so far SD3 does a fairly good job at it.

• I don't know if you'd want to use them like that, plain vanilla I mean, Cedric. They sound a bit dated, like I've heard so many albums with that similar drum sound. This is definitely more hi-fi, but that may not be a good thing. Maybe experiment a bit. Tried and tested is good, but this sounds a bit too generic, it's not a perfect fit with the tasty guitars, even if it sounds good.

As far as getting stuff to sound organic, you're a good drummer. Use that talent to play through Superior Drummer. Just need to buy or rent a decent e-kit for a few days and you should be able to lay down most of the tracks. After that, just edit the midi and you'll have much better results than trying to programme, in a fraction of the time.

Here's a track I just did on the spur of the moment after getting back my Kemper. One shot, one take, with some minor fixes. I loved how the writing came together, and the drum parts are much better than if I programmed them, imho.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Some mistakes, but it's not at studio quality yet. Anyone could edit it, but I'm more interested in playing this stuff from end-to-end for all instruments. Nothing better to do, and it's not like metal is going anywhere. May as well veer of the well, beaten, path.

• Not bad at all! :)

I always adjust the hihat and ride hits meticulously to be more "organic" - both velocity, degree of opening (hihat) and where it is hit (shank/tip, edge/bow etc). If it's done tastefully, it makes a world of difference :)

I do the same. Many complain SD, or other drum plugins, sounds unrealistic, but no wonder when they don't spend time to edit everything to sound like a real drummer. Watching drummers play makes one to think more like a drummer and the better it will sound.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• I do the same. Many complain SD, or other drum plugins, sounds unrealistic, but no wonder when they don't spend time to edit everything to sound like a real drummer. Watching drummers play makes one to think more like a drummer and the better it will sound.

It's amazingly hard work to jump the fence at the lowest point (as we say here in Denmark) :)

Well, not hard, but it takes a lot of time. Luckily, it's a creative process for me at least, so it's also kind of fun

• "dated"??? Screw you man. :thumbup:

So what if my shit is generic? Thats what I wanna do.
    You apparently want to make generic grindcore, who cares? :thumbup: that stuff was "dated" 20 years ago too haha!!! What's the problem with that??

I always try to avoid ".....but you!!!!" arguments but when you complain about my stuff being "generic" or "dated", and post some stuff thats equally just as generic and dated but pretends it's something really special, I have to point it out.

Also I HAVE a e-kit!!! But that doesn't help. Look at the post below!

• I do the same. Many complain SD, or other drum plugins, sounds unrealistic, but no wonder when they don't spend time to edit everything to sound like a real drummer. Watching drummers play makes one to think more like a drummer and the better it will sound.

Please stop

I do play drums I know exactly how drumming dynamics works

But this song in the OP is not a good example of what I'm talking about

I'm talking about SUPER FAST speed metal stuff. Even with carefully dynamic hihat/ride it DOES NOT SOUND GOOD.

Stop implying I dont know drums... How annoying you all are

Look here...
    Fast forward to 0:45 and you'll see me playing the exact fast stuff I'm talking about is almost impossible to get right with E-drums

External Content www.youtube.com

• "dated"??? Screw you man. :thumbup:
    So what if my shit is generic? Thats what I wanna do.
    You apparently want to make generic grindcore, who cares? :thumbup: that stuff was "dated" 20 years ago too haha!!! What's the problem with that??

I always try to avoid ".....but you!!!!" arguments but when you complain about my stuff being "generic" or "dated", and post some stuff thats equally just as generic and dated but pretends it's something really special, I have to point it out.

Also I HAVE a e-kit!!! But that doesn't help. Look at the post below!

My post is not to say these are great drum sounds or anything. I was talking about how there is more dynamics if you play using your e-kit than programming the way you did on that track you demoed, based on the post about adjusting the velocity of the hits.

The generic comment was not geared at your playing or the music. It was specifically towards the sound of your drums. They are BORING.

Let me underline that. BORING.

If you like them, fair enough. As a listener, it didn't strike me as particularly expressive and nice sounding and I would not upgrade from SD2 to 3 if that is all they sounded like.

Have you heard any other bands or artists using electronic drums on their recordings? Check out some of the stuff by Periphery, for example. It may not be super fast to you, but it is quite dynamic. I like to think that you could definitely do the same thing with faster material.

At any rate, if you're capable of laying down your drum parts, go to a studio and record them if you're worried about how the dynamics of your playing might get affected.

• Fair enough 8)

Yeah I love the programmed drums on this album! Sounds absolutely fantastic

External Content www.youtube.com

I would like to have a sound like this on an album sometimes
    There's NO dynamics in this album whatsoever :thumbup:

I dont like Periphery and that kind of modern stuff at all

Also I only said I'm a drummer but I'm not a super skilled drummer.
    I prefer recording my drums in my rehearsal so I can do as many takes as I can.
    My 1st instrument is guitar and I never practice drums so going to a studio wouldn't be worth the time

I already have good recording equipment

• I wasn't even address you and doubt Michael did either and you go to attack and accuse. What this forum doesn't need is members with a bad attitude. There are other forums for that.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• IMHO the kick sounds out of place and can barely be heard. Normally with the 80's kick they were more bass driven thumps not clicky.