Profile for the true Carlos Santana tone

• For me, the most elusive tone has been Santana's (Supernatural era), probably because it is extremely amp dependant. I've seen many get a bit close, but in reality they are coming up with a variant of the woman tone that is more Clapton and less Carlos.

I'm looking for something in the same ballpark as this (interestingly, he's not using a PRS):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8H8e0T79Fc

Are there any profiles out that are able to get you there?

• A PRS isn't the key to his tone - he has it with Les Pauls, SGs, even Strats. And the amp really doesn't matter either - a random solid state amp at Woodstock, Fenders, Mesas, whatever.

His physical approach to the instrument, the ever changing volume/tone settings on the guitar he uses, and his style of phrasing are where that sound come from.

If you are getting Woman tone, try turning down the guitar and/or the gain of the Rig. And, his vibrato is different than Clapton's, and so is his touch. Not quite as bluesy - a bit more lyrical.

You can do it with available profiles - use the closest one you have found so far, and coax those sounds out of your guitar :)

• My brother wrote, recorded and toured with Carlos (flagrant name drop), but I think he was using a Two Rock during the Supernatural era. I always prefered his mid-late 70s sound though. Anyways, he's one of those guys that can nail his signature tone using any guitar/amp combo.

• Santanas biggest influence (he said so in an interview) is Coltrane.Indeed his phrasing and the "squeezing" for the baritone of his mahogany guitars reminds me of an Jazz-Saxophone player.Specially the way he plays some melodic lines on the high strings only to end up with a fast and then suddenly stopping phrase on the deeper strings.

No matter what Mesa or Dumble we might use..it is all in his fingers and soul..and a little bit in his mahogany guitars.

• I've seen a documentation on the french and german TV channel Arte a documentation, that Santana uses 3 different amps in common. A Mesa, a Dumble and another white one. These amps were standing on the backside of the stage. On stage were standing the support partners, I think Mesa. ;)^^

• Yeah, agree with the above, fat mahogany guitars like yamaha SG or PRS, fast vibrato, good phrasing !

regarding profiles, I'd sure go boogie, mark I II IIC+ & mark III

here is my take on Carlos 70's tone , my favorite era

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Hi Renaud,
    (hope I did get it right)

thank you for this entertaining an Santana like piece of music. It seems to me that besides all that was said about "fingers", which I hold to be true, the organ and the doings of the percussions play a certain role in expierencing the tone of guitars: You only hear them together, the rhythm gets to you and the sound is a melting pot. In short: You came as close as one could get without beeing the man himself.

Greetings
    Joachim