Profile volume

• I wonder if someone can explain why some profiles ar very loud and other are not. I checked if there is a volume boost in the amp settings or eq settings. I it something to do with the profiling process that can be adjusted when profiling??
    I thought that the volume on the amp when profiling will not effect the volume on the profile.

I also wonder why some profiles get muddy. Is it because of bad micking, cliping, ampdistortion or some are making profiles with reverb or other kind of modulation that Kemper can not profile.

And last is there anything I can do beside adjusting cleancense/distortioncense clerarity and definition to fix profile that sounds a bit muddy?

Regards Paul :)

• Well i can't answer why some profiles are louder than others. But muddy profiles? It can depend on what pickups you're using. With another guitar it might sound fine. Have you checked that it's not the pickup that's the problem? If so check this out.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Otherwise EQ is your best friend. Load EQ in the X slot Where to raise or dip it is just a matter of taste and depends on the profiles you use, your pickups, tuning, your playing style etc. Just sweep until it sounds right for you.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

Edited 2 times, last by GearJocke ().

• I have never profiled my own amp, but I downloaded lots of amps from the free profiles in the forum. Many grate profiles there.
    I play 99% with Lespaul and RG with good pickups so I dont think its the guitar or pickups. Maybe some of the profiles was made for singlecoils and thats why it can be muddy with humbuckers.
    Thanks for the tips about ajusting humbuckers.
    The Kemper sounds amazing with good profiles and cranked :)
    Still wonder why the volume is so different from profile to profile...
    Regards :)

• The profiles that come with the Kemper are generally balanced to the same volumes. But Kemper doesn't have any control over how 3rd party companies or individuals profile and balance their levels. So that's why it seems like the volumes can be very different between profiles. All you can do is match them yourself by using your ear and then storing them at the new level.

• Thanks for reply.
    So it means I can profile an amp and get different volume in the profile itself not by using the volume setting on the am...
    I hope you understand what I meant...

• I'm using profiles from a number of vendors and they all vary a bit from each.

Depends on your workflow but I always have Studio EQ in the X slot and use the level on this to get things more consistent. For your info you can also use the the amp volume, cab volume or adjust the rig volume itself - there is no impact on the tone (assuming flat EQ) so whatever works for you.

I always use the EQ as I'm often tweaking the settings and it just makes sense for me to use this for balancing volume across rigs. It also means that I always go to the same place so things are more consistent from an editing perspective.

Hope this helps.

Si

• I understand I can adjust volume on profiles to even them out. On my profiler I dont have any volume control in the cab settings. I have volume control in amp settings and the volume control left of the guitar input. Maybe thats what you meant with cab volume?

• Hi,

Extract from the manual;

If you can’t pin it on an effect, then it might be the Profile itself differing from unity gain. In this case, adjust the parameter “Volume” available in both Amplifier as well as Cabinet Module until the Rig sounds at the correct level. Be sure to store the Rig afterwards, if you want the volume change to be permanent for that specific Rig.

If I recall correctly you have to press the right selector button to get the cabinet volume.. Not at my KPA at the mo so can't confirm.

Regards,

Simon

• On the amp section I have volume if I click the right page button. I have no volume in the cab section or Eq section.
    I always felt there is some clarity problems on most profiles. Specially at low volume.
    When I raise clarity in amp section it seams to get less clear...
    The Definition parameter helps a bit.

Is there anything I can do to get the volume in cab mode...

I am running os 5.3.1 13085

Thanks for good feedback :)

• I dig this tread up. Is there a way to adjust the volumes off rigs at the same level (Rig manager or directly on the profiler)? I have plenty of them, set at very different levels, and I would like them to be homogenized.

• I dig this tread up. Is there a way to adjust the volumes off rigs at the same level (Rig manager or directly on the profiler)? I have plenty of them, set at very different levels, and I would like them to be homogenized.

There is no automated way to do it. The only way to do it is manually. I'd suggest using one of the rigs that come stock on the Kemper as your baseline, and then manually adjust all of your other rig volumes to that one by ear. Once you get them all matched, what I usually do is build my new rigs off of one that has already been volume matched. If you're using a completely new rig, you'll want to volume match against one that has already been done. And I wouldn't totally rely on volume meters as a sole reference point. Just because something is the same volume in terms of a volume meter, doesn't mean it'll cut through in a mix as well or seem as loud in a mix. Using your ear is the best way to go unfortunately.

..and you don't want it done automatically because different sounds "cut" differently.

Its rarely about volume but about cut.

A clean sound with generally cut so much better than a high gain sound.