Best way to efficiently switch KPA performances and Strymon Timeline setting during gigs?

• I could really use your help! I play in a dance band that pretty much goes from song-to-song with no breaks in between. I have a Kemper rack mount and the Kemper Remote, but I struggle to keep up with the switching between songs, especially in terms of having different delays when, where, and how I'd like them to be expressed. I Iike the delays in the KPA fine (I have the latest firmware versions), but in terms of controlling repeats and mix, it isn't working well for me live. I'm thinking of using an outboard delay such as the Timeline.

I use performance mode live. I tend to use six banks (is it seven?), each featuring one amp in various stages between clean (Bank X, preset one) to lead/full OD (Bank X, preset five). Then I have a few specialty banks with weirdness on 'em. I have never been able to figure out how to have all of the effects I'd like to have at my disposal so that they are in the same effect slot (even though I know how to populate these slots and even lock them in). Ideally, I'd have effects slots 1) comp, 2) chorus, 3) flange, and 4) tremolo. I think I'd then like to use the Strymon Timeline for a variety of delays.

We play three sets of 18 songs per. The set list changes a lot. It strikes me that an ideal solution would be to set up a program/spreadsheet on a laptop (or other platform?)by which I can assign Kemper performances and delay settings to individual songs, then populate a set list from the master list of songs and settings before each gig. During the gig, I'd push some kind of magic button on the laptop (or KPA remote?) to advance from one song (with one performance bank for each song) to the next--withoout having to scroll through the remote to get to different banks/performances. The computer would do this automatically in this scenario (right?). I don't mind tap dancing a bit during songs, and I am not looking to have any automated changes occur within songs; this would strictly be about easily getting me my starting sound for each song and having the performance bank be set up with the other sounds and performances all within that one bank that I'd need for the duration of the song. Could be that I'd want up to two different delays going at different times in a song? Not sure about that.

Anyway, where would I start? How do I think about tackling this? What advice or questions pertain that would get me here? Thanks!

• 54 songs? That sounds familiar - we have a similar number of songs, with an ever-changing fast paced set list.

If you Lock your Delay, you will only have one Delay setting. But, if you don't, you may not need to use an external effect pedal. You can store multiple delays in the Rig/Slot if necessary. I mostly use Tap Tempo to change Delay Time, and Morph to change the repeats and/or mix.

I also use seven banks with my main gig (with a few oddball sounds in addtional banks for the odd casual gig) - You may be happier in the long run if you memorize which sound is in what bank/slot. If a song comes up unexpectedly, I press the bank up or down switch as many times as needed during the current song (or, as soon as I find out what song is next) , and then press the slot switch at the downbeat of the next song.

Or, just write Bank/Slot onto the song list at the beginning of the night (this will also be much simpler if you have the Rigs memorized)

• i'm curious about the delay issue. paults has some great ideas for you.

Yes, locking would make that always be the same delay in the delay slot, not useful for different songs and timings. But couldn't you save an effect preset, say Song 1 delay and then apply it to the 5 versions of the amp (clean through dirty?) in the song performance? you could even have 2 different delays set to the same effect foot controller button to alternate with one tap. However, changing from clean to dirty (across the performance) would reset the current repeats (unless continue spill, spillover, whatever its called is enabled) and might sound abrupt.

i'm sure someone smarter knows a kemper based way to fix this but alternatively you could bypass this issue with an external pedal - timeline/H9 etc. By having only the first patch in a performance trigger a patch change on the external device through midi, you could keep progressing to dirty without effecting it. You'd just lock a mono or stereo loop send in the on position so the pedal always gives you delays. So if the song didn't actually need a delay you could have a pedal preset that was bypass.

Hell you could have your iPhone next to you and have the H9 app open with the list of delays for all your songs and be able to press the button to do anything... hmmm actually I'm tired, this might not be a good idea.

As for song ordering I used the Voodoo labs GCP as my main controller and the software let you reorder songs ahead of time (with a computer) which I'm sure you could also do with rig manager.... ok I don't actually think any of this helps...

pretend i was never here!!!

• i have the timeline
    Performance mode:
    -Connect kemper midi out-> timeline midi in
    -make a stéréo or mono fx loop in the fx stomps
    -connect the timeline into the loop of the kemper.
    -lock the stéréo/mono loop fx (if you don't do it there are volume bugs when you ll change the rig)

But you must configure the timeline for each rig (thanks for the nexus tool) and also your midi controler in your computer

If you don't use the timeline in one rig, you must done a timeline patch with 0% for the mix.