How do you cure writers block?

• My biggest help. Don't write songs in the studio. Too many distractions. Mind you, this used to be the general rule, when studio time cost hundreds of dollars an hour. Now days, everyone has a studio in their bedroom, and the concept has been lost.

I try to get to the basics of the song during the writing process. Makes it much easier to tell if you have a good product.

When I write in the studio, its on the rare occasion that I'll end up with a complete finished tune. Generally, I'll end up with a song fragment, which I swear I will get back to later, and that rarely ever happens.

Or, the other thing happens, and 5 minutes into the new song, something stops working as it should, (computer, instrument, Daw software, ect.) and I spend the rest of the evening chasing ghosts around the studio, with the song only a faded memory.

Nope, not any more. Now, I write songs on guitar or keyboard, away from the studio. Only when I have a complete song on paper, do I take it in the studio. This way, if the studio ghosts do appear, they only get my time, not my song.

• 4 other suggestions:

1) try to play a song you know but have never learnt ...You will get it wrong but the riff and chord progression will give you new ideas, best ideas come from mistakes..
    2) Try to find a writing partner - often difficult to both write from scratch or judge if an idea is any good. You can bounce of another point of view
    3) Force yourself to write in another key or using a specific scale. Biggest problem is usually you fall back to the same riffs and chords and rhythms, so anything you can do to change it should help.
    4) look for outside notes or chords that will change the flavour totally..

As the original post was Nov I assume you've got past it now :)

• I set up my percussion and live tracked with my drummer. We just jammed. I then reacted with guitar and bass to the track. 8)

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.