Mission Gemini 2 Studio review

• Here's my quick review of the Gemini 2 Studio.

Before I bought the Gemini, I had an RCF NX 12 sma wedge. I liked it a lot but always found it a bit boxy, especially for clean to slightly crunchy sounds.
    I sold the RCF and decided to buy the Mission Gemini 2 Studio, based on some user reviews, especially thanks to @michel poirier here in the Kemper community.

I contacted Paul from Mission. He was a real pleasure to deal with. Totally honest, accommodating and very patient with any question I threw at him. I received the amp exactly 7 days after I ordered it (that's fast considering I live down under). Amanda, Paul's partner, was amazing at communicating during the whole process.

Time to open the box. The amp was really well packaged.
    First thing, the gemini looks just like a real guitar cab, with the nice tolex and the front cloth grille in bronze and black.

The weight might be an issue for some, it's not light at 30kg or so.

Time to play... :)
    I turn it on, the pop noise is there, but not a deal breaker. This version is fanless, so no annoying fan noise.
    Volume at 2 or 3 on the Gemini, it's very loud already. I can't push it very hard in my house for now.
    The stereo effects sound glorious. That was really missing when I was using my RCF. The Kemper sounds best with a stereo setup in my opinion.

I set the empower knob at the back at around 70% flat response, meaning the tweeter gets less present. I A/B my old and trusty twin reverb with my own twin profile. Not the same obviously, but close and good enough to my ears. Much better than with the RCF. I guess the real size cab, the extra dampening, the empower all help in getting the amp in the room feel.

I try the bluetooth option real quick to play along a song from Spotify. I realise that the output from the phone/PC is quite weak. I have to lower the output from the Kemper to accomodate the difference in levels.
    I have to set the empower back to 100% flat response otherwise the music coming from Spotify is too bassy.

I haven't tried the usb function, don't think I will need it.

Last good thing is this amp will work anywhere in the world, unlike the RCF where I would have had to send it to an official RCF technician to change a fuse inside the amp.

Well, I think/hope my quest to find the perfect companion for my Kemper is over. Thank you Paul, thank you Mission Engineering!

• I've been using the Mission Engineering Gemini 2 for three years now and it sounds great because at low volumes you can blend in the EmPower™ active crossover with variable EQ. This sends more or less signal to the 1" high frequency compression drivers. At stage volume I turn down the EmPower™ knob to get more of the 12" speakers and less of the HF drivers. This allows me to precisely dial in a more realistic guitar cabinet sound at any volume. I wish they had the studio model without the fan when I bought mine.