What do you think the new update will be

• I'm genuinely suspecting that we're done with anything major. I appreciate that announcing that they're finished is as good as suicide but I'm just not convinced that there's something major around the corner.

totally agree...but for the benefit of this thread I hope I'm wrong :)

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• FWIW .. as astonishing as the KPA can be made to sound with the right profile ..... it is ... imo ... no longer the only-best-unit-in-town ...... equally sonically brilliant tones can also be had out of the Axe or Helix ....... so other than its core "tone" .... in every other respect the KPA has fallen waaaayyyyy behind the other 2 key players in the market ..... 7 / 8 years old with no hardware changes of any kind.

I think a KPA MK 2 - rack and floor - is not far off .... whether thats this NAMM I dont know ... but for it not to have *any* official editor after 7 years .... and after years and years of users screaming for one .... is bordering on ... well .... frankly .... corporate arrogance and disdain for user convenience and utility .... I guess well see soon enough.

Ben

• FWIW .. as astonishing as the KPA can be made to sound with the right profile ..... it is ... imo ... no longer the only-best-unit-in-town ...... equally sonically brilliant tones can also be had out of the Axe or Helix ....... so other than its core "tone" .... in every other respect the KPA has fallen waaaayyyyy behind the other 2 key players in the market ..... 7 / 8 years old with no hardware changes of any kind.

don't want to start a debate...just sharing my opinion here.

But if achieving a 'brilliant tone' is a way to compare things, than even an vox amplug can do the job!

What I'm saying here is that there is no doubt that a good tone can be found else where. But this doesn't mean the kpa is behind, to use your word.

Just for reference, as far as I know the kpa is the only one used by the pros (real ones!) who has their signature tone when they need it in particular situation. It is the only one who can profile. So, really there is no choice here...nor comparison with other machines. and for this reason it is still the 'only-best-machine-in-town'

Obviously, if I look for a good tone, every machine, as said above, is ok...but this is only one side of the coin, and maybe even less than this!

just my two cents...

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

I think a KPA MK 2 - rack and floor - is not far off .... whether thats this NAMM I dont know ... but for it not to have *any* official editor after 7 years .... and after years and years of users screaming for one .... is bordering on ... well .... frankly .... corporate arrogance and disdain for user convenience and utility .... I guess well see soon enough.

Ben

Yup. My previous point was essentially the same. They could stop all forward progress on the KPA and keep selling it for years to come. They don't HAVE to make improvements or release new products... they can just grease the marketing a little bit now and then and make a pretty good living the less people you have on staff.

It's neither right or wrong. It just depends on what their goals are.

• It's neither right or wrong. It just depends on what their goals are.

This. :!:

We don't need to worry about what Kemper should or shouldn't do.
    Ultimately, we have benefited a lot from what Kemper has done so far and I can well imagine that they are watching the market closely and trying to realize what is in demand and what is as economical as possible.

• Just for reference, as far as I know the kpa is the only one used by the pros (real ones!) who has their signature tone when they need it in particular situation. It is the only one who can profile. So, really there is no choice here...nor comparison with other machines. and for this reason it is still the 'only-best-machine-in-town'

Yeah, not a real pro in the bunch:
    http://www.fractalaudio.com/artists.php
    http://atomicamps.com/artists/
    https://www.positivegrid.com/artist_page/

There’s also been an influx of former Fractal and Kemper artists going to Helix, though many of those reasons are political and behind the scenes. Regardless, they’re real touring acts and “heroes” and don’t seem to have an issue with using a different device.

Kemper is great, but let’s not behave as though it’s the only serious piece of digital gear out there. If the Kemper sometimes does something superior to other devices it’s more in small nuances (which are important) than some kind of absolute dominance. In fact, you can tone match using BIAS or the Axe-FX and basically create a “profile” so long as the tone is in the ballpark before matching the EQ curve. Results are just as impressive.

• well...the fact that there is a list says all or nothing at all. Just to mention one of them: Steve Vai. He says, not me, that is using the fractal for the fxs not for the tone.

Only fact here is that the kpa is the only one able to profile the tone one has on his amp. I'm not saying it is the best machine on earth but the only machine able to profile.

If you read my previous statement it says what you're saying: if I look for a great tone, everything can be used as long as it serves the needs.
    My 'compalin', if I may call it this way, is towards the comparing of similar machines regarding tones.

a great machine is what brings us the tone we look for. This can be called in many different names: marshall, fender, fractal, helix, chair, table, you name it.

But it is wise to say one of the mentioned is better than the other? to me it is not but of course everyone has the right to rank what he/she wants.

• Just my 2 cents:

I played a bunch off different stuff over the years and I was always searching ( as many others here) for the holy grail. My old jcm 800 gives me one kind of good tone and some seperate fx completed it. Racktime in the nineties has given more cool tones because of different preamps and a bunch of fx units. Hours of tweaking and working with midi.....

I can say that the kpa was the first unit for me that nail tones in minutes. I am happy that one unit can handle profiles and the free fx in the unit make it complete for me. I have never done a profile, so normally a playerunit would be enough for me. Playerunit as a floorunit like the axe ax8. What I see is that the market comes up with this style of units like ax8 , helix and the other floorunits.

Dont know if kemper will see this as a market for them because the train is already running and axe, helix and the others have sold a bunch of such units. So a kemper floor unit will be one under others and most guitarist's already have one.

Otherwise my kemper is a floor unit. I use the remote :D and if a floorunit arrives I stay with my kpa because it works fine. Fingers crossed.

My only whishes are:

An editor like the axe have, because I am tired of endless scrolling and I'd like to save livetime of the hardware

New reverbs

A cab manager integrated in rig manager

@ Michael: You are right. I have read it too. Vai uses the axe only for fx and he also stated that the kpa is a nice tool, he has one in his studio, but he will never use it live because he stated that the sound is too thin compared to his carvin machines. Ok he is Vai and a primadonna with several contracts in his pocket. He has to say this......

Cheers
    Frank

• Ok he is Vai and a primadonna with several contracts in his pocket. He has to say this......

I would also pay less attention to what the big stars with their endorsment spread in public.
    I think a Steve Ray will be also able to sound sensationel with my old Roland Cube. (and a good sound engineer for recording)

For my decision to go with Kemper, it was good session players that occasionally can be seen at big shows and events and that aren't exactly the center of these events were rather important.
    E. g. Benny Young with Helene Fischer, or Severin Trogbacher with Konstantin Wecker to name only two of them which just came to my mind and which finally made my decision easier.

I think these people who have to travel with their equipment and earn their money playing guitar in different styles motivated me to spend the money for this investment.
    Finally it was my will and really not a necessity.

• In contrary of a lot of users, i think there will be more major updates, I may be wrong but i can see few things that can be way better in the same way that they did for delays with:

-Reverbs (better and more different type and great ambient strymon style etc)
    -Overdrive/distortion, same better and way more stomp in each type (fuzz, overdrive etc) The kemper i'm sure can do way better.
    - other type of modulation effects, weird things, synth like things I also think the kemper can do that (and i wish he will)
    -An editor, it's not the thing i want more and can live without (until i will touch it probably) but even after a log time i'm sure it will come.

I'd like the latency of the expression pedal through the remote can be improved, i'm not satisfied of that for the moment (especially considering the price...)

I don't want/need the 2 panned different profiles at the same time and that i think it would probably need a hardware update (may be wrong).

• I'm almost sure the next update will be about verbs, like we had last year with the delays. Almost one year of development was necessary, and the resulting delay upgrade was really something huge.

I Expect a rig pack with 50+ reverb presets and other dedicated FXes , and maybe new drives & fuzzes. Maybe some new modulation presets.

The lack of an editor is really annoying because of poor cab , FX , and FX preset management , but I think it will come later.

• For me the editor was an absolute essential in the first 6 months of setting up my sounds for live use. Later it would have very limited use, so in honesty I would prefer updates to features that make the Kemper sound better. I do understand why some studio users and people with visual problems would make good use of it though.

1 EQ on the direct or headphone outs
    2 A TC Mimiq type effect
    3 Reverbs, although I never really thought the quality was lacking so much.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• For this features, must be Dual amp or at least Dual Cab.

I am not sure that is necessary. You don't need dual amp for a stereo chorus and it would be the same for the double tracking effect if it comes after the amp stack. I often double track with the same amp and cab when recording.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7