What do you think the new update will be

• Drive overhaul would be great. Though I could always just turn up the gain knob :thumbup: Verbs would be nice but not totally necessary for my needs. Played it through my 2x12 last night at practice and I wasn't left wanting in any direction.

• well...the fact that there is a list says all or nothing at all. Just to mention one of them: Steve Vai. He says, not me, that is using the fractal for the fxs not for the tone.

Only fact here is that the kpa is the only one able to profile the tone one has on his amp. I'm not saying it is the best machine on earth but the only machine able to profile.

The list is meant to lend credibility to the device or company in question. You picked one to mention how he just uses the effects, as though it negates the rest. And yes, real amp is always preferred over Axe, Helix, KPA, Atomic, etc. Digital devices win for their consistency, flexibility, and portability.

As for profiling, you're right that it's the only device that does specifically what it does and relies on it, but "tone match" and "amp match" features in the Axe and BIAS, respectively, accomplishes pretty much the same ends. It's not black and white the difference, it's more like gray.

Ok he is Vai and a primadonna with several contracts in his pocket. He has to say this......

Not really. It's a common refrain on this forum that people who say nice things about Fractal or not nice things about the KPA are paid by Fractal. That despite Fractal's company policy since day 1 that everybody has to pay for their unit and the company refuses to pay anyone to endorse or use their products. Jim Marshall was the same way. No artist ever got their Marshall for free when he was running the show.

How quick we are to accept any time somebody says something nice about the KPA without questioning their motives or if they're paid to say it. They say what most on the forum either agree with or want to hear so it gets amplified and is used as credibility for the KPA. Meanwhile if someone on the "other side" says the same, then they are endorsed or paid to say or have to due to contracts that you've never seen or heard of before. I can say working in this industry the "paid endorsee" happens way less than people think it does. In fact, I've run several campaigns here which included giving away promotional products (not paying anyone) and was told we were one of very few companies willing to do this. Everyone else pays for their stuff. Sometimes guys just genuinely like or don't like something. And remember, the artist endorses the gear, which most often is gear they've already used and prefer, not the other way around.

• Man, I' am happy that I didn't have a real problem with the kpa. My points are just whishes and it doesen't matter if they come up with nothing new. I love this green beast and for me it plays in one league with a real amp.

There are many many examples for that by pros. The secret is to know what to do for getting the hell out of it.
    I will not say that I know everything about the unit but I can def. say that 3 to 4 years of experience has brought me near to a point where I can create a massive cool tone with he right profile, the right cab and this lovely monster in minutes. I never missed that I didn't profiled an amp. There are many gems outside, that's enough for me. Cheers think this is possible with the kpa and with other stuff too. I heard an AX 8 and the sound was also quite good.

I also have another point of view: When I go 4 years back I didn't really know kemper and I played line 6 stuff. I looked for cool sounds and the axe fx where too expensive imho ( with the floorboard). I bought a used kemper blind, never heard the unit in front of buying. I was very dissapointed what comes out of it but I have met Thomas Dill and other guys. These guys really know their stuff and for me it was awesome what guys like Guido Bungenstock and Thomas are doing with the unit and I was blown away with their sound.
    I was not searching for a profiler and when there where the AXE 8 floorboard unit at that time I think I had prefered that.

I am happy that only the AXE fx where on the market at this time and I am happy that I have chosen the kpa.

World peace

• @MementoMori I don’t get what this has to do with this thread?

Realistically no, tone match is not like profiling, it’s not a grey area either. EQ matching (which is what tone match and amp match are) is not some new concept that brings equivalence, heck was doing that trick as soon as Logic got eq match in 2004, it’s a great and useful tool and it would be cool if the Kemper had it too, but if you honestly think it’s the same thing as profiling then you obviously have not spent time trying to dial in any sim to match with this method. You might as well say “all sims are the same or as good as the Kemper because with enough work tweaking away you can get them to match an original amp”. It’s a statement that misses the point that of course this and avoiding all that tweaking is the exact purpose of the invention of the Kemper Profiling Amplifier by such a large margin that it’s not even in the same solar system.

Honestly it sounds like you have a major chip on your shoulder. What is it that you want from new Kemper Firmware?

• @MementoMori I don’t get what this has to do with this thread?

Realistically no, tone match is not like profiling, it’s not a grey area either. EQ matching (which is what tone match and amp match are) is not some new concept that brings equivalence, heck was doing that trick as soon as Logic got eq match in 2004, it’s a great and useful tool and it would be cool if the Kemper had it too, but if you honestly think it’s the same thing as profiling then you obviously have not spent time trying to dial in any sim to match with this method. You might as well say “all sims are the same or as good as the Kemper because with enough work tweaking away you can get them to match an original amp”. It’s a statement that misses the point that of course this and avoiding all that tweaking is the exact purpose of the invention of the Kemper Profiling Amplifier by such a large margin that it’s not even in the same solar system.

Honestly it sounds like you have a major chip on your shoulder. What is it that you want from new Kemper Firmware?

I responded to what I felt was a bold assertion on this thread. There's no chip on my shoulder, it's just gear, but I do point out where I feel there is intellectual dishonesty.

I didn't say profiling and tone matching are equivalent, but that we are talking nuances. Kemper clearly does a few things different than just match an EQ curve, but you can tone match a Kemper profile with BIAS or Axe, so it's only that there aren't worlds of difference or something the KPA can accomplish that other devices can't without some work. KPA does simplify those ends, though.

As for the firmware, I'm always going to hope for improvements to the profiling algorithm that make the mids and low end presence more accurate, and an editor.

• I’m hoping for an effects revamp (especially reverbs) and an editor.

I’ll be delighted if either or both happen. If they don’t, I’ll live.

With some units, features are added which are putting lipstick on a pig.

Here, they would be putting a cherry on a really good cake. I like cherries and hope they manage this. If not, it’s still good cake :)

It’s because I am very happy with the fundamental tones. If effects are the most important then it’s not the best unit any more but other units still, I believe, do not beat the basic sound of a guitar through this thing. I think that it’s surprising to some of us who love this green beast that the effects are not the undisputed kings in the same way that the core tones are. Hopefully they’ll make that dream come true in the same way tang they’ve stopped the search for the core tone from digital gear at any volume as most people believe they have achieved this. That’s all :)

• As a long-ish time Axe user ..... I can assure everyone that comparing Kemper Profiling to Axe Tonematching is like comparing steak to spam ...... I've Profiled many an Axe tone = result was, as expected, virtually perfect/identical.

Ive also spent [way] too much time Tone Matching Kemper profiles = result was terrilbly lifeless and far-from "real" ... and yes, I know/knew what and how to do it correclty.

All I can say is, Kemper aside, now that the Helix FW has matured so much, my Axe XL is on the market for sale and the Helix is staying.

Kemper and Helix ... all bases covered :)

Ben

• I think you can get industry standard recorded /album tones with all three, kemper, Axe or helix.

Axe has a dedicated CPU for effects, so it may be able to get a quick version of VAI sounds down
    or do a few more effects, but this does not mean that its a better tone than the kemper :)
    Does that mean that the kemper cannot do VAI type of effects? NOPE.

The only reoccurring FAIR statement (to me any how) i have seen over and over again about the Axe vs kemper is...
    The AXE has more effects (and an editor dam it lol), but in fairness this does NOT mean thatt its going to get better tone than the kemper :)

In saying that we just got new delays..so it sounds like i am bitching :D
    Spring reverb maybe? (in answer to the OP)

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• I think the Helix Native phenomenon is worth noting. If that move - which is a big move for a company selling comparable hardware - pays off (ie big sales = big $) , other competitors may feel compelled to follow. Line 6 were doing software (amp farm) before they sold even the first Pod so they are no strangers to slinging guitar amp sims as software.

Potentially, Fractal and Kemper could port their code to modern in the box processing (Intel/ARM etc). They could use a hardware breakout box/interface to prevent piracy and allow controlled connectivity perhaps. It could be that some think these latter companies are not keen on the software biz but the Virus has been ported to plugin land in a comparable way.

• I forgot to Say Frank can Vai the F out of the kemper ;):thumbup:
    I love it how Frank says sorry for the wrong notes and he totally kills it :love:
    What? :D

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• I forgot to Say Frank can Vai the F out of the kemper ;):thumbup:
    I love it how Frank says sorry for the wrong notes and he totally kills it :love:
    What? :D

Ash

Sorry Ash, but I know where some wrong notes are when playing and I did not correct them because of time. I will only show what is possible with the profiles.
    About Vai: He stated that a kpa sounds too thin. Have you seen the vid of Hotel Carlifornia on youtube when he is play a part of the solo? This is what I call thin in comparison to the sound of the doubleneck. Search for Vai Hotel California on youtube.

• I think the Helix Native phenomenon is worth noting. If that move - which is a big move for a company selling comparable hardware - pays off (ie big sales = big $) , other competitors may feel compelled to follow. Line 6 were doing software (amp farm) before they sold even the first Pod so they are no strangers to slinging guitar amp sims as software.

Potentially, Fractal and Kemper could port their code to modern in the box processing (Intel/ARM etc). They could use a hardware breakout box/interface to prevent piracy and allow controlled connectivity perhaps. It could be that some think these latter companies are not keen on the software biz but the Virus has been ported to plugin land in a comparable way.

Yes if only a platform I actually liked would embrace the idea of going the VST route :thumbup: Tried Native twice and both times it was absolutely slaughtered by Mercuriall and SGear. If and when the HelixFX arrives; that is going to be my Kemper combination game changer. Add those verbs, drives, and even that synth block to the Kemper and it's going to be on. Providing the price is right and I can swing it. :?:

IME (and all the "but you weren't on 2.3 blah blah blah" responses aside); the Helix is awesome for functionality and the social media explosion effect. It does not hold a candle re: the types of amps I like and their equivalents on the Kemper. Fractal is obviously different tech and a different approach; but I love it as well. Kemper just fits my mindset and workflow much better.