Friedman Butterslax profiles

• Nice job on these. They sound good.

I don't think anyone has asked this yet, but are these studio profiles or are they DI profiles with 3rd party IR's? In Rig Manager it looks like a couple cabs are from the Celestion packs and one from Ownhammer. Did you mic a cab when capturing the profiles?

Yes, my question also…
    Were these recorded originally as DI profiles?

• I’m still wondering the same thing. I asked 6 months ago and never got a response. My thought is the OP doesn’t want to acknowledge it since the profiles are using 3rd party commercial IR’s.

Yep, agreed... my guess is that these were originally studio profiles and the cabinet has been changed… They sound great through a PA, but ch 2 profile (with cab Sim off) through various 4X12 cabinets, does not sound believable… And feels very sluggish.
    But that’s just my opinion and that’s with my powered K PA through a 4×12 cabinet

• Hey guys, I think a few posts back that he said he used a Suhr (or some other) Reactive Load into an IR.

In that sense, they may not be "authentic" profiles.

But I'll tell you what: if they sound good, don't worry. It's the sound we are after. Not the freaking signal chain.

After all, most profilers use a preamp to capture "authentic" amp tone.

No different from using an impulse response, imho. Focus on the sound, not our pre-conceived notions of what is the witch's tits ;)

• I think you're missing the point. The profiles sound good and I'm all for sharing, but including 3rd party commercial IR's (Ownhammer and Celestion) in profiles that are freely shared is not cool, IMO. I'm not here to debate the ethics of it but if I spent time creating and selling IR's, I wouldn't be too happy if someone is posting them online for free. That's all I'm saying.

• I think you're missing the point. The profiles sound good and I'm all for sharing, but including 3rd party commercial IR's (Ownhammer and Celestion) in profiles that are freely shared is not cool, IMO. I'm not here to debate the ethics of it but if I spent time creating and selling IR's, I wouldn't be too happy if someone is posting them online for free. That's all I'm saying.

woahh!! Seriously? Someone else's work? In this case, a commercial profiler's seriously? I'll delete these profiles. Can anyone confirm that the cabs are not the OP's (I think he's disappeared)?

• CH2 is a commercial Celestion IR
    (V30 212 C R-121 Balanced)

CH 1++ is also a commercial Celestion IR...
    (G12M Greenbk 212 C R-121 Balanced)

The Butterslax Djent profile cab is Ownhammer cab
    (OH 212 MAR-66 DJENT)

• I think you're missing the point. The profiles sound good and I'm all for sharing, but including 3rd party commercial IR's (Ownhammer and Celestion) in profiles that are freely shared is not cool, IMO.

"Illegal" is the word you're looking for.

• This could be hyperbole. Just because the cabinet tags says one thing doesn't make it what it is. I've started on a profile of someone or something else ,before I made a profile ,and all the tags I didn't edit carried over.

• Good point, Elvis, but if this was the case they would all show the same cabinet / they would not be different, as he did these profiles all on the same day… these are in fact commercial cabinets/ IR’s - absolutely no doubt in my mind… I compared them to my Celestion IR’s and they match.
    Plus the fact that he did channel one with the green back cabinet and the ‘DJENT profile’ with the matching DJENT cab from OwnHammer
    ;)
    I personally couldn’t care less… But I guess you are supposed to let people know when you do this and not call it your own profile? I don’t think it’s breaking the law, I think it’s just common courtesy… I don’t know…

• ur2funky
    You were on here nine hours ago and ‘liked’ a post in this thread… and obviously read our questions regarding the profiles.
    Can you verify the cabinet situation with these profiles?

• I saw this on my iPhone between sets at a gig...sorry for my delay.
    And sorry for my delay on this forum, I haven't turned on the Kemper in awhile (I go thru stages of using tube amps or a Fender GT200 for gigs or the Kemper).

It's been awhile since I made these profiles, I know I used a ribbon mike with 4 different speakers and also used a direct box. I have since sold this great amp, and the rest of my Friedmans. (I've had 11 Friedmans I owned and profiled.)

I just turned on "Rig Manager" (for the first time in months) and it shows I have 50,325 Rigs!!!
    I have over two hundred files in the folder I made these, from three different amps. And I have no notes on anything I did. I haven't updated this software in quite awhile, do they have a "Cabinet Manager" yet? I can't remember how I see my huge cabinet collection. I guess I need to set up my Kemper and try on there.

But yes, I made these using my Butterslax amp, vibrating my house with the outer space washing machine sounds of profiling. Apparently from the posts above, these may have been uploaded with other cabs, I can't remember. I'd be glad to remove these. I paid Friedman a lot of money for that amp, I would guess he wouldn't mind it being removed.

Edited once, last by ur2funky ().

• I would argue against this idea that using an IR in a profile is wrong. If it's being processed into a Kemper profile, how is that any more sacred than the amp itself? Too bad for future users, this was a real nice set.

• I can absolutely confirm that the cab in channel 2 is from commercial Celestion IR package,

Just out of curiosity how can you tell? Not arguing just have no clue how to extract(?) the IR from a profile.

Also, just looked at the EULA on Celestion's site: https://www.celestionplus.com/eula/

I am a software guy by trade and if I am reading it right, these IRs are basically no-go for any commercial purpose. It basically says that you agree to not make any derivative work from their IRs. So no Kemper profiles or anything similar. Not for money, not even for free.

Pretty much the only thing you could do with these is use them to record music on your own. I think that the music recorded would not be considered derivative work.

I with they had an 'LGPL'-like licensing scheme for people who want to use these "libraries".

• I never profiled enough to really learn the in and outs of the Kemper, and one of the issues I remember is whatever Rig you're on when you switch to make the new Profiler, the names, effects, settings, stomps etc., pretty much everything gets transferred to the new Profile. I never spent the time to learn the work around this.