audio interface headphone out - tone suck?

• Within the Focusrite software you can choose between external and internal clocking. Kemper always has to be master, so choose external when playing with the Kemper. For hearing internet and computer audio choose internal.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• I called Sweetwater tech support because I bought the Focusrite there and they logged into my computer and corrected the settings, so now I'm able to hear audio from everything.

But I still can't get Kemper Space to work through my headphones going into the interface.

Someone in this thread said to use a Stomp for Space, so when I went to Stomps and selected Space it's still not making any change... however I don't think it's working right because in the Stomps menu there's no way for me to set the level of the Space, when I turn the knob nothing happens, however in Output under Space this can be adjusted, so I don't know why it's not letting me adjust it in the Stomp section, maybe that's why I can't hear anything because maybe Space is set at 0, I don't know because I see nowhere in the Stomp menu to actually adjust any parameters of Space, I selected Space in the Stomp menu but there's nothing there to turn it up or down.

• Ok, my headphones are plugged into the Focusrite, on the Kemper Master OUtput Master Stereo is selected in the OUtput Source, and Headphone Link is not selected. Space headphone only is unchecked. pure cabinet is off. we are connected with spdif. under Stomps it says I have Space in "B", however I'm still not hearing any Space

• Ok, my headphones are plugged into the Focusrite, on the Kemper Master OUtput Master Stereo is selected in the OUtput Source, and Headphone Link is not selected. Space headphone only is unchecked. pure cabinet is off. we are connected with spdif. under Stomps it says I have Space in "B", however I'm still not hearing any Space

I feel for ya brother, the 18i20 with their software has a lot of routing options. Once you get different settings to work, save them in the Focusrite software so you can always revert to something that works. I have the same setup that you are working with right now. KPA into 18i20 via spdif.

I am connected Kemper <--- SPDIF ---> Focusrite 6i6. SPDIF is set to Master Stereo. When Spache -> HeadphOnly is unchecked I can hear changes in Space (parameter in Master/Output menu) on headphones connected to Focusrite 6i6.

On what kind of profile are you checking this? Maybe if on higher gain one, the difference would not be that evident, as it is on clean profile.

• I feel for ya brother, the 18i20 with their software has a lot of routing options. Once you get different settings to work, save them in the Focusrite software so you can always revert to something that works. I have the same setup that you are working with right now. KPA into 18i20 via spdif.

I had a Saffire Pro 40 that was great when everything was working, but if something got weird with the mixer software it was torture to figure out. I finally got so frustrated with it that I replaced it with a UAD Apollo Twin Duo, which is MUCH more user friendly. Unfortunately, it was also MUCH more expensive...

• You‘ve written that the main output is set to master stereo. Set SPDIF output to master stereo too. Also put the space stomp post stack, in X or Mod slot. Or maybe even in delay or reverb slot, don‘t know atm if it‘s possible.

Everything pre stack is mono!

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• I have spidif output set to master stereo and main output both set to to master stereo.

i'm using the Guido profile, Bognar XTC 02M.

I click on stomp and I tried to turn off all effects except for stomp, but i'm hearing what sounds like a long delay effect, a metallic sounding echo now, which is horrible. I hate how the Kemper has the 4 buttons above stomp, A, B, C, D, this is making it so confusing. Having to push Stomps once or push and hold down or push it twice to do multiple different things is making it even more confusing, the 4 knobs under the display and the 4 square buttons above the display and the type knob and the page left right buttons and the exit buttons and then the effects buttons, ALL of these things are making it so hard to navigate the menus on the screen and make it do what I want.

I may just have to videotape myself making a video of trying to navigate these controls so everyone can see how retarded the whole kemper layout is to me.

The more I try to do this, the more I realize Kemper needs a Editor like the Fractal Axe FX has where I can just use my mouse and move blocks about and see everything in one simple layout.

I've never owned a Eventide H3000 Rack, but I have watched lots of their tutorial videos, and even one of those seems simpler than the Kempers layout/menus.

And yes I will probably sell the Focusrite in a few months and get a Apollo Quad rack in hopes that it will be better quality all the way around.

Right now, I finally have all effects off, and the only stomp I have on is Space in letter C, the only control I see for it is called Intensity, however I can turn intensity all the way up or down and I am hearing no change either way, both headphones in Kemper, and Headphones in Focusrite, I hear no change regardless of where I set the intensity of the Space C Stomp.

That's where I am so far.... between yesterday and today I've invested about 8 hours of my time in just trying to solve this problem.

OK, "now" I am hearing a difference when I move the intensity of space while my headphones are plugged in to the Focusrite... (I write a post over the course of a hour sometimes, as at the moment I am trying things and as I try these things I update my post here, just letting you know so you don't think well 3 sentences ago you were at this point or that point, that's because I've been writing this post for probably a hour before I submit it)

I also hate how I have to keep adjusting the volume on the Focusrite to try and get it to be exactly the same volume level as the Kemper, because if the Kemper is a little louder than that's probably playing tricks on my mind making me think its better.

I think I may actually have the Space on and working correctly now, I'm not 100% sure though, I am going to need to spend a few more minutes or hour on trying to get the Focusrite headphone level the same as the Kemper...

I keep unplugging the headphones out of the Focusrite, putting them in the Kemper, back and forth over and over again every 5 seconds, trying to notice the differences in sound, I still think the Kemper may sound a little more Full and Larger, more exciting, than what I hear on the Focusrite, but I'm not sure yet if that's just my imagination or maybe there's there's a difference in volume levels that's causing deception...

• I also think if Kemper would just build these with high quality interfaces built in to it (like Fracatal does with axefx2) none of my problems here would exist.

And also make a editor like Fractal.

Sometimes it's better for a company to stand on the shoulders of a giant, than to try an reinvent the wheel.

The only thing that makes Kemper better than Fractal is the PROFILES. That's all.

Fractal sucks because yeah some people get them to sound good BUT they have to know how to TWEAK it to make it sound like a amp.

With Kemper Profiles there's not much tweaking, a profile provides us with a snapshot of a real amps sweetspot.

Some will argue that Fractal is better because all Kemper does is the sweet spot, where a Fractal you can take a amp and dial it any way you want.... But, I'd rather just get a different profile if I don't like the one profile I'm using. And more important, when I used to own REAL Fender and Marshall amps, I NEVER tweaked the real amps, NEVER... I'd set the controls up for the best possible tone of the given amp and leave them there forever. If I wanted a different tone, I'd buy another amp and then dial it in and leave it alone after that as well. I don't believe in getting multiple tones from a single amp by dialing it in, I believe the best real amps are one trick ponys, they do ONE thing exceptionally well and that's what I used to buy them for.

And that's how I treat Kemper Profiles, and why I like Profiles better than Tweaking a hundred parameters in the Fractal.

• A,B,C and D are mono.
    Trying to run a stereo effect like Space in a mono location will not produce the desired results.
    Try placing Space in the X,MOD or Delay location instead.

If you have the headphone space option unchecked and the SPDIF output source set to Master Stereo you should hear the Space effect when you turn it up.
    From your description it sounds as if you have some problems understanding the user interface of the Profiler.
    Please try to get more familiar with it by reading the reference manual and watching the turorial videos that are provided on the Kemper homepage.
    This will help you to get the most out of your investment.

• I hate how the Kemper has the 4 buttons above stomp, A, B, C, D, this is making it so confusing. Having to push Stomps once or push and hold down or push it twice to do multiple different things is making it even more confusing, the 4 knobs under the display and the 4 square buttons above the display and the type knob and the page left right buttons and the exit buttons and then the effects buttons, ALL of these things are making it so hard to navigate the menus on the screen and make it do what I want.

It's actually pretty easy to navigate the top row buttons if you think of them like a regular pedal chain. Your signal "starts" at the far left, with the input button. From there it moves to the right through each button in order: Stomp A, stomp B, stomp C, stomp D. Then into the amp button, then EQ, then Cab, then X, Mod, Delay, Reverb, and finally Output. Pushing any of these buttons just once turns that slot on or off, and pressing and holding the button opens the menu in the display.