How do I export entire performances to save as backup?

• This is what I'm currently doing and well.. it's painfully slow. Really not a good solution.
    We have 4 different sets (45min, 1hr, 1.5hr & 2hr) with the songs arranged in order in performance mode, and with each set being saved as an individual COMPLETE kpa backup on a usb (as i need to be able to do this at a venue without a laptop or RM). I have to load the applicable backup before every show. if the set length is different. This takes 10+ minutes for it to load (checks all the rigs, cabinets etc etc etc) and I say a little prayer every time hoping someing doesnt lock up or fail. It seems to work, but damn, is a VERY clunky overkill solution to something that should be quick and easy as it's just a performance sequence/order change... not actually any sound/parameter changes of any patches.

I REALLY wish you could save performance lists/orders and select them in a similar way that you can save and quickly select different "Input" settings when changing guitars.

I have no idea why this isn't already a thing. Would save me about 50mins a week in waiting if lists could be saved and recalled onboard!!

This seems to be a different problem.

backup should be used as just that, to ensure if things get corrupted you can restore.

Why are you loading up each time? Why not store all performances onto the KPA and change performances for each set ???? There is plenty of memory...

Am I missing something??

• This seems to be a different problem.
    backup should be used as just that, to ensure if things get corrupted you can restore.

Why are you loading up each time? Why not store all performances onto the KPA and change performances for each set ???? There is plenty of memory...

Am I missing something??

You are correct. My gripe is a little different to the OP, but very related. There is a good chance I'm an idiot and not understanding a better solution. If so - any help would be massively appreciated! I'll try to explain. Apologies if it gets a little long winded - but I'm trying to explain clearly. :/

I have each song saved as a single performance (using 5 slots) and change to the next song in the set by changing banks. The order of these banks is what I'm using to follow the nights setlist (we have 4 different setlists/shows that we typically play). I'm doing it this way as we use many wildly different sounds from song to song as well as and lots song specific time based effects (band plays to a click), so a single song per performance bank is perfect and keeps things tidy and logical.

Re-arranging the order every night using the "arrange" feature with the KPA faceplate buttons is a very manual process takes way too much time on the night of the show (with the limited screen space, frustrating input lag when moving things, etc). Repeating this fully manual process almost every night seems crazy as i'd be doing the exact rearranging work over and over and over going between 4 lists.

As I understand it, the only way I can currently automate this process at shows (without using a laptop and RM) is to load an entire previously saved KPA backup that had the required setlist order setup as its "Performance" when the backup was made. 3 button presses and a lot of waiting (for the backup to load from a usb stick) is much better than the well over 100+ manual button presses (to arrange 30+ songs) that'd be needed every new show.

I really hope I'm daft and missing a better solution, but IMO being able to save unique re-callable Performance set orders onbaord seems like it should be a thing?

@"V8guitar" - Are you suggesting I just load all the different sets back to back (so the performance list is super long with duplicates), and manage them by starting at a certain bank? Eg:

- the 2hr setlist (28 songs) starts at Perfromance #1 thru #28,
    - the 1hr setlist (14 songs) starts at Performance #29 thru #42
    - the 45 min setlist (10 songs) starts at Performance #43 thru #53,
    - etc, etc..

Any advice appreciated! :)

• @"V8guitar" - Are you suggesting I just load all the different sets back to back (so the performance list is super long with duplicates), and manage them by starting at a certain bank? Eg:

- the 2hr setlist (28 songs) starts at Perfromance #1 thru #28,
    - the 1hr setlist (14 songs) starts at Performance #29 thru #42
    - the 45 min setlist (10 songs) starts at Performance #43 thru #53,
    - etc, etc..

This is exactly what I do. The difference for me is I am in 2 bands, 2 sets lists ect.

So I would advise doing one long list of songs + duplicates. This way there is no need to restore and reload a specific performance.... the only hassle would be pressing bank up 43 times for a short set :D

• Ahh I see...

Yes that was going to be my suggestion.

The issue you really have is that because you have dedicated rigs per song, its the movement of these rigs in an individual set is the bigger problem. That is always going to be easier in RM than direct on the KPA so I'm thinking yes preload all sets on there in a logical sequence as you suggest to rule out installing and uninstalling performances.

Then when you change a set, you can do this in advance on RM.

Also, can you save slot space by using morph and stomps if different songs just require a change in parameters ?? There must be some songs similar to at least reduce the number of performances. I assume you've been round that one..I know it would be a mapping headache but just an idea...

I would seriously rethink your set up as this is really difficult to maintain regardless of your set up. Whilst I can imagine some big variations on certain songs, I struggle to believe you really need a different slot for every song for different shows...wow!!

You would never be able to replicate this with a regular set up( valve amp and pedals especially) and I doubt many musicians do this.

Im in 2 bands and both do different length shows ( mainly full set 30 songs, half set, and 1hr 30 set when short support band). I also have a performance for different guitars ( have a gretsch and les paul which have different gain levels to equalize them a bit - that's what comes from playing in Cult tribute!!), but I still get by with 5 slots, 3 stomps and morphing to give me boosts at certain points...

Can;t think of any other options, but I'd definitely rule out the backup approach, just too risky!

• I would seriously rethink your set up as this is really difficult to maintain regardless of your set up. Whilst I can imagine some big variations on certain songs, I struggle to believe you really need a different slot for every song for different shows...wow!!

You would never be able to replicate this with a regular set up( valve amp and pedals especially) and I doubt many musicians do this

I re-use a favorite overdriven amp profile for well over half our songs and use that as a base tone. Copy and pasted into most new song banks (imho It just sounds better if there is some underlying tone theme from song to song). It's the use of song specific pitch shifting settings, drastically different and extreme time dependent delays, odd ball synth type overlays/swells, section specific ducking settings etc, etc, that led me down the "arrange as setlist" path.

Many "regular set up" guys end up with a monstrous effects pedalboard to generate multiple pedal driven tones/layers, and are then forced to incorporate an extra and much fancier switching system to control it all if they want to get album like changes on the fly with complex effects layers (midi switching system or smart pedal loop arrays, etc.). Using the KPA and setting up your show as 1 bank per song you can achieve that level of control (and then some) with just the simple Remote.

I agree I could just strip everything down, and go for a simpler and common "live rock band" vibe, but we really try to keep our live songs as close to the recorded versions as possible (with all the studio candy). IMO the Kemper has been a game changer for the average Joe to be able to achieve that. Being the only guitarist in the band makes it a challenge for sure though. :S

Thanks for the advice. Performance mode is super powerful and can be used in some cool ways, but I wish there was a better way to back-up its list locally. I think I'll set up my performances in a "mega list" as you suggested and get away from doing repetitive and nerve-racking complete backup restores. :thumbup:

• Yeah know what you're saying, just wondering if there is some middle ground.

As you say many players have a monsterous pedal board. Just wondering if you could say cover 20% of your first set with one performance rather than 1 song one performance option.

In other words, each performance you have 5 slots each with morph so effectively 10 possible core sounds, 8 effects per slot that can be mixed in multiple combinations. I know you know this but just wondering if you can group the sounds together and get a better use of performances. That's all I can think of to help really.

Anything you do along these lines will drastically reduce the volume of performances and therefore management overhead.

Might have to come and see you play now, with such complex arrangements I'm intrigued!!! :)

Seriously hope you get it slicker...

• Just for your information from my point of view. I play 2 bands, total of approximately 90 songs between the 2 that we add and remove depending on the night of course.

I have 3 "regular" performances. Clean / Light Crunch / Crunch / Overdrive / Lead

Each of these performances have subtle differences in available stomp effects. PLUS, I use the morph on all as well to add to the flexibillity to each rig in the performance.

I then have around 8 - 10 separate performances dedicated to specific things / Songs. Some examples:

Living on a prayer - Talk box plus, plus step down transpose (so our singer cant cope with the key change lol)
    Half step down
    Full Step down
    Acoustic
    Guns & Roses (half step down with Slash amps ect... just because!! lol)
    Guitar 2 - I play in a different tuning for a couple of songs which requires specific sounds and effects

I find that while not "perfect", it pretty much services both bands and gets me 95% of the way there, while still being really simple.

Works for me.

• I do virtually the same...I use different guitars for the tunings but have copied the performances in case a guitar goes down and I have to use the "wrong" guitar.

Can't recommend the morph function enough, I use as a small boost for emphasising riffs...so touch more volume, gain and cut...

• @mat28 thanks I have searched the RE many times but it is pretty specific on the words to put in AND what boxes to check. Good stuff thanks for sharing hopefully this will work for the song Sweet emotion!

By the way you said it was triggered by the wah pedal, can I set it up for the talk box say on the rhythm slot and still have the Bypass@stop on the solo slot?