Using main outputs for FOH

• I switched from xlr to jack line in on the mixing desk. And now I used only one jack line out from the main outputs. As expected this prevents clipping but needs higher gain on the desk and higher fader volume with no extra for soloing.

When you did this did you try just bringing up the volume on the Kemper instead of just raising the mixer gain? No reason you should need to be sing the channel fader in what you describe here.

• I guess a few test to get closer to the problem couldn't hurt.

Do you use the speakers just for your Kemper only or does everything run through them? If you use them only with the Kemper: Test the mixer output to the loudspeaker. If you feed something else than the Kemper to the loudspeaker through the mixer, does it work? If so, there could be a line vs. mic issue or some weird problem with the Kempers outputs. If not, there is some problem the mixer -> loudspeaker.
    If you share the speaker and everything else is working fine, could you try using a line signal from a different source? This way we can rule out if it's the same problem with every line signal or just with the Kemper.
    Have you tried different cables? XLR, balanced and unbalanced jacks?
    Any other tests anyone can come up with? ;)

Best of luck with your problem! :)

• To all...I close this topic. I will go and look here to find me someone who can sort out the volume problems in the chain Kemper, mixing desk and powered speakers. If I have all the answers I let you know.
    Thank you for now!

• Back again...
    Today I went to one of the biggest shops (with also a big online product rang) in The Netherlands about the issue of to less volume to FOH using the main outs of the Kemper and go directly to the mixing desk.

Unfortunately this company is no longer dealer of Kemper since there 's a delivery waiting list of 3 months! But the guy advised me to use xlr cables from main outs to mixing desk (where did I hear that before?) When I do that the mixing desk inputs go insane in red, and this with not even touched the gain at pfl.

So back to jack cables. Now, gain settings can be set to a little more than 0 dB but with increasing volume with the faders they don't delliver enough...

This brings me to the question: Are my rig volume settings too low? Still I must prevent rig output volumes (the green led above Output) clipping in red. So, is there a general way of rig output volume (clean as well as overdrive) which is more than enough to go FOH , and still having much reserves for even louder when needed but without clipping?

• I used the kemper factory chrunch rig as a reference for the volume of all my rigs. You can find it in an empty performance in slot 1. Store it to pool and you have this reference rig in browser mode,

As written in my first post:
    Use xlr- xlr from kpa to your mixing desk. Use the -12 dB function in output menue if the signal is too hot.

• From what I've read so far in the ZED manual, you should be using the Stereo 1 input with 1/4" jacks from the L/R Main Outs of the KPA. You need to get off the Mic preamp and should be using the stereo inputs so stereo effects from the KPA will then work also.

[Blocked Image: http://www.zappatech.net/Kemper/AP7085_2_ZED12FX_16FX_22FXUG%2018.jpg]
    [Blocked Image: http://www.zappatech.net/Kemper/AP7085_2_ZED12FX_16FX_22FXUG%2019.jpg]

Edited once, last by Zapman ().

• Another option would be to call Allen & Heath tech support for the ZED. I'm sure they would walk you through hooking it up correctly in no time as it is a problem at the mixer.

• Zapman: This is truly the solution to my problem of the volume (and stereo!) coming from the main outs. You are brilliant. :P I couldn't have come up with that. Sorry for my lack of understanding routings.
    Now I really can compete in volume with the rest of the instruments.

And to Eltzejupp: Now -12dB in the Output works fine. So it has been a combination of options.

To Finally: the mixer works fine but it has all along been searching for a combination of the right routings, in- and outputs and settings.

Again, thanks guys for these contributions...! Really much appreciate! It's been a long way but with your help I got it done!

• Cool!! Happy that you solved the problem!

• Awesome news!! So glad that you got it straightened out and can now enjoy it again. Happy New Year to you!

• Okay, What output are you using for FOH and how have you set your output settings? :?:^^

• Nice to know that I can help someone else.

My Main Outputs are set at around -12 dB and that's for Master Stereo in the Output Menu. Further I set every mixing desk channel with the pfl's until a slight of yellow on the volume meters. That is 0 dB. Before that I balanced volumes of all rigs thus avoiding peaks or lows at rig changings. My Master volumes on the mixing desk are set to 0 dB