Wireless guitar system

• I use the G50 as well. Before I’ve had the G90.Both are great units.
    Just be aware of the fact that the 2.4GHz band is getting fuller and fuller.
    As far as I know there are no 2.4GHz IEM systems.

The G50 and G90 both use the same transmitter which radio can operate in two different modes. In mode one it is probably the most powerful 2.4GHz system on the market. It completely kills WiFi (everything on 2.4G) within its range. I have never to date experienced any dropouts with my G90, but other people in the neighbourhood may not be as happy about it :) That said,I will probably choose a unit that operate outside the WiFi-ranges for my next wireless to avoid the clashes with WiFi. With everything going wireless I suspect we will soon see multi-channel bi-directional UHF-systems that combine instrument transmitter and IEM receiver in a single body-pack. Maybe even add in a 3rd connection for a wearable microphone.

• @heldal So what do you recommend?

I have not examined all the most recent gadgets in detail so my recommendations are general. First you need to check what frequency-ranges you are permitted to use in your country/area, and if a license is required to operate radio gear other than the most common consumer gear. Next I would look for a kit that offer a digital link. Digital adds a little latency, but it is unnoticeable with the most recent circuit designs. Digital also has the benefit of improves scrambling (over analog) and even digital signatures in case you are concerned about security (someone/something messing with your performance). Shure ULX-series are units that meet these requirements, but I haven't had the opportunity to test any of them yet.

As a G90 user I have no problem recommending that if you and everyone else nearby can live with its limitations in terms of 2.4G interference. I've seen 2nd-hand units being sold for very reasonable prices.

• I have not examined all the most recent gadgets in detail so my recommendations are general. First you need to check what frequency-ranges you are permitted to use in your country/area, and if a license is required to operate radio gear other than the most common consumer gear. Next I would look for a kit that offer a digital link. Digital adds a little latency, but it is unnoticeable with the most recent circuit designs. Digital also has the benefit of improves scrambling (over analog) and even digital signatures in case you are concerned about security (someone/something messing with your performance). Shure ULX-series are units that meet these requirements, but I haven't had the opportunity to test any of them yet.
    As a G90 user I have no problem recommending that if you and everyone else nearby can live with its limitations in terms of 2.4G interference. I've seen 2nd-hand units being sold for very reasonable prices.

I have extensively used both the line 6 and Shure digital wireless products and can say emphatically that the Shure system plays much nicer with nearby 2.4Ghz radios like WiFi, in fact since switching to the Shure I have had 0 interference issues and I had many in both directions with the Line 6 radio.

• WiFi at venues and such were becoming a frequent issue.

With G30 there I did not face any issue till now.
    The chance that the 2.4 Ghz band will soon be full is naturally given

Our Headless Mic's works now at 1,8 Ghz and the WIFI-Router we use for the XR18 Digital Mixer has 2,4 and 5 Ghz.

• All I can say is that I went for a Line 6 G50 specifically because it has a stronger signal than the G30. I didn't try the G30 though, so it might be okay. The G50 does have a much more convincing build though if you play quite a few shows.

Originally I had the Smooth Hound that was brilliant because it is so portable and the owner was very helpful with correspondence. However, as soon as I tried to use it with in ear monitors, there were issues and a very limited range. There were even issues without the second transmitter when playing at summer festivals, because there are loads of mobile signals and wireless networks all around stages.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• As I had bad experiences with 2,4 GHz systems (WiFi trouble) I switched to a 620 MHz Beyerdynamic Opus 900 (TS910M & NE-911): no interferences at all and outstanding audio quality.
    It's not the cheapest wireless-system, but IMHO worth the price.

• As I had bad experiences with 2,4 GHz systems (WiFi trouble) I switched to a 620 MHz Beyerdynamic Opus 900 (TS910M & NE-911): no interferences at all and outstanding audio quality.
    It's not the cheapest wireless-system, but IMHO worth the price.

Same. I have a rather expensive Shure GLXD guitar wireless unit that sits unused in a drawer as it proved too unreliable infront of an audience. The cheaper Line 6 G50 i got to replace it has been flawless.

• As far I've heard know in Austria no common Mhz Band is free anymore without permission. But typical almost nobody really here take care for that. ;)

But as a good citizen I decided for the (free) 1,8 , 2,4 or 5 Ghz band. ^^

• I have been stopped from using a Wireless system in Germany at festivals before. The festival didn't pay for a license, so it was up to individuals on MHz to either pay for themselves or use a lead.

I have no idea where I can legally use the old system, so got the G50 in the end.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• I borrowed a G30 from a friend of mine - works great at home but ... I don't know why they do not offer a more rack-friendly format and secondly I do not know how to make a "worst case" test. Possibly position it in between all WiFi devices one got at home?

Why not shrink the G10 / G30 to one product series?

A G10 "table" version like it is and a G10 "rack" version where you can slide the sender in from up front? I do not like the proprietary batteries anyways, I think they should switch to AA so that one can use any battery or rechargable one likes ... the typical 9V block battery is great for swapping and so on, but it is more difficult to find these in a live scenario and even the chargers and batteries are more expensive than regular AA ones. Plus the AA ones are used in mics and other wireless units as well, so someone always has a replacement with him / her.

I think lots of manufacturers did a lot of things right, but the last bit to a really *great* and versatile product is missing.

• Same. I have a rather expensive Shure GLXD guitar wireless unit that sits unused in a drawer as it proved too unreliable infront of an audience. The cheaper Line 6 G50 i got to replace it has been flawless.

Interesting as I had 100% the exact opposite experience! Go figure!

• Interesting as I had 100% the exact opposite experience! Go figure!

Yeah. I've read lots of people have had great success with the Shure GLXD stuff, and I tried everything to get it reliable (FW updates, many channels, re-scan before every use, re-positioning body pack and receiver, removing all local sources of wi-fi & interference, etc, etc..), but it kept dropping for about 1 sec a few times and hour. It is possible my unit has a fault of some kind. The Line 6 G50 has been a winner for me, but I do miss the Shure GLXD's body pack battery charger that's inbuilt to the receiver. Thats a pretty slick feature.

I guess the best advice is get one of the well reviewed options (there are many) and give it a go?

• it kept dropping for about 1 sec a few times and hour. It is possible my unit has a fault of some kind.

I was curious and checked the specs. It operates in the 2.4 GHz frequency band, which is the same as microwave ovens. It may be a stretch but I wonder if proximity to microwaves (perhaps the bar's kitchen) was a factor.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• That's my point, I think there is a real gap in the market. Line 6 seems to have come closest with G50 as a generally semi pro reliable unit but I hate the belt pack and battery door issue. I've heard various things about the G10....

I really like my Samson, never had an issue. When I pair with Li-ion AA's ( Ni-Cad's fade too quickly for this type of application) its brilliant, just wish it was uncompressed digital...Also I can;t seem to find a replacement so I'm panicking that it might break!!

I want a guitar bug, run on AA batteries or built in Li-Ion, linked to a rack unit that is digital...I can;t find one anywhere!

• V8guitar I have been looking at the stageclix as well but it’s pricey and I don’t like the fact that you have to keep your system on to load the transmitter. I often don’t fire the Kemper up between gigs. I’m about to pull the trigger for the smooth hound innovation classic, they are a uk company and the system has great reviews. Check them on google they have direct sales and through amazon.