My attempt at writing and recording my first instrumental album - Spirits

• Hey guys,

since I got my Kemper half a year ago I always wanted to record my own music. I am an absolute beginner when it comes to recording and mixing but I gave it a try. And thats the result of two months of recording and writing, my first instrumental "Album" Spirits.
    Its instrumental metal with orchestral and symphonic influences, because i always liked messing around with an orchestra in metal tracks. Some of them are pure metal, some of them pure orchestral scores, and some are mixed :D I recorded with my kemper and several different guitars (unfortunately i dont own a bass, so there might be some missing low end haha), ez drummer and some cheap orchestral libraries.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I'd like to hear your constructed feedback on it! I know i still have to improve a lot haha, but any tips and hints for the next project are very welcome :)

Thanks for your time guys!

• Well done & good efforts, very cool for your first production, I think the mix is done is a fine way as you can hear most of the parts. I really dig spirit's writing and arrangements for instance, horns , strings & brass very cool.

Having done all my basses with a stratocaster and octaver in the past, it's largely enough for this purpose. I just bought my 1st bass after 4 years of mixing and it's pretty cool to play real bass, but not mandatory at all.

You'll surely upgrade your mixing and recording skill in the long run, so go on and on trying and changing a single factor at a time. experience is your best friend as it will form your ear.

There sure lot's of possible improvements in the guitar tones , but I'm no metal expert , I'd just say it would help to add your own reverb and delay and try to stick to it to build your own tone & signature. I'd record the double tracking naturally ( two takes) and choose two different CAB or profiles to add more thickness and differentiation, but it's up to you.

• Hey Marc, cool stuff! It's a real pleasure listening - I really dig the serious epicness that shines through!
    So when I say something "critical" please don't take it the wrong way. I am just saying, cause I believe, one day you'll make a masterpiece! Please stick to it!

First thing: I hate the sound of EZ-drummer :whistling:
    I struggled with many options too. Get rid of EZ-drummer - no don't upgrade, get rid of it ( :saint: just my opinion sorry :saint: ).

Many will disagree, but I think the best sounding solution (if you don't habe a drummer at hand): Buy really good drum samples (or pay a drummer to do them for you), than you take that pleasing drum sample library and meticulously put the samples together bit by bit, edit, edit, bit by bit... It's a pain, I know. But that is my old-school way of doing drums (that sound like REAL drums), when no drummer is there to do what you want exactly.

I really dig the slower "doom" parts and the slower melodies - just awesome! Some faster riffs got an almost swedish melodious black metal undertone - you should expand that parts. I really like it, how you combine some "Dissection", "Sacramentum" riffing, than some doomy "Katatonia" part, than some viking mosh part - if you can further melt that styles: Just too cool, really, man!

But the whole thing sounds a bit like a (great) collection of ideas - I really don't mean that in a bad way. I enjoy listening through and through. But some parts really stand out and gave a hint, what you are really able to do.
    Maybe you should considering to rework and restructure the songs and add vocals - everything: Reverberated screams, growls, cleans, choirs :thumbup: You gave us that epic stuff - so I think it's legal to express some wishes :D

If you considering using a midi bass - try IK Multimedia Modo Bass, the best!

I like the sound of the guitars and the mix is o.k. But to be honest, the more important things are: Melodies, Epicness, Arrangements. You did a great job on the first two! Further improve your arrangements, more homogeneously assimilate all the different influences, include vocals and be careful not to sound to "happy" with some parts. (What I mean: Some bands (like "Skogen" - do you know of them?) manage to write great melodies AND stay dark. I like that.) Then you have it - a real masterpiece :thumbup:

I don't write often, when people present their music. I do here, cause I see the chance that you are able to create not only "some more music", but real ART!

All the best - have fun and keep us informed about your future ART!

• Wow, thank you a lot!

Yeah you are absolutely right about the drums, I myself can feel that the drums are sounding too steril and miss some real breath in the sound.. This whole "Album" was a big learning experience for me, cause I never touched on drums before. As you noticed, the way I think about melodies and music is influenced by band such as Fleshgod Apocalypse, Dissection, Dimmu Borgir or Thulcandra (you should definitely check them out - they are the "new" dissection haha) - I generally love the combination of epic instrumentations and dark metal. That being said I can totally get behind the point, that some of the music sounds a bit like a collection of ideas! The lack of vocals really made it challenging for me to keep the music entertaining, because you always have to deliver emotions and melodies with the instruments and cant tone back to let the vocals do their work. I will definitely improve on that, and try to get some vocals on my next stuff. I also want to think more about the whole arrangement!:-)

Again, a thousand thanks for your kind words, this really helps me a lot! :)
    greetings from Germany

• Great stuff, Marc! Very enjoyable! I like the mix, it's top notch and the songwriting is great!