Clarity and Definition adjustments -use them?

• My main pre sets I use don't really need this but I have come across a few profiles that are 'wooly' in the low end. Normally I would just pass up the profile but this seems to be a good way to take a minimally good tone to the next level! Jesse Fildes has a bunch of greta videos on YT and in one he covers taking a slightly darker pre set with out much definition then using these features to clean em up.

Top of my list tip to try! Just wonder if others use this?

• I’m not a big fan of turning up definition, it seems to take away from that nice fat warm bottom end and if it’s set to high tones can become plunky and lose some of that fatness, But I guess it all depends on what type of music you play, if you’re a metal player you probably want it set very high… and of course, some profiles actually need higher settings of definition…
    I love high gain tones but in more of the early Van Halen or even John Sykes style, with that big fat vintage feel…
    Wolfie... definition, clarity and cabinet choice are my first go to when I need to adjust a profile. The cabinet has a huge affect on the tone of a profile, In my opinion, much more than anything else…

• When making profiles and optimizing them for multiple types of guitars and pickups, I've found the "Definition" parameter incredibly valuable. I use the "Clarity" parameter at times, but definitely not as much as Definition.

• i find Def usually set too high for my tastes, and the tone sounds overly boosted with too thin low end. I like usually to turn it down until the low end really thickens up and even starts to break up. Then ill use an eq in one of the stomp slots to really dial it in for the exact sweet spots for my guitar. Maybe shave some of the deeper bass and boost some mids to treble. You get the tightness and clarity with a richer, more natural sound.

Clarity is cool but i find using less gain to be just shy of saturated, and reducing some higher frequencies can help get a similar result, and you have more control than just using the Clarity control.

My methods are more involved and may consume fx slots, so they dont work for everyone. Definition, Clarity, and Comp are very useful parameters on the amp block if this is the case. Just dont go too extreme - its easy to get things to be a little weird

• I messed with them last night and it's definitely profile contingent. TAF 1987X profiles with full gain have wooly low end and it helped a lot. Some other profiles def became thin and I aborted.

Good tool to have when needed. It made the 1987x a very useful pre set where I needed that tone on my Strat, otherwise I would have passed on it.

• The Definition Parameter is the perfect tool to shape a Profile towards your pickups. Since it is an absolute value determined during the profiling process, you will soon see/hear a pattern emerge. My SH-4 AlNiCo II for example really likes a Definition setting of just below 5, while even lower values give me delightful vintage-y/often tweed-y tones.

• In my mind the definition-parameter is my main tool to see if I can free & clean up a high gain profile "from the dirt" to see "the real tube-rig behind the profile".

Actually it is a very interesting tool because it can turn a modern trashy high gain profile into a more..well I would not say "vintage" but very good sounding "classic hard-rock/metal" kind of thing.Not all the time but often enough.

• Agree with Nikos! almost all profiles i have downloaded are muddy and wooly for my singlecoils, and both clairity and defination can make a dull profile sound good and make saturation more natural. Its an instructional video on youtube who realy show this! dont remember what the name on the video was! think it was a linke here!!?

• Agree with Nikos! almost all profiles i have downloaded are muddy and wooly for my singlecoils, and both clairity and defination can make a dull profile sound good and make saturation more natural. Its an instructional video on youtube who realy show this! dont remember what the name on the video was! think it was a linke here!!?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The Definition Parameter is the perfect tool to shape a Profile towards your pickups. Since it is an absolute value determined during the profiling process, you will soon see/hear a pattern emerge. My SH-4 AlNiCo II for example really likes a Definition setting of just below 5, while even lower values give me delightful vintage-y/often tweed-y tones.

Hey Don…Almost every guitar I own has a JB in the bridge… I have always wanted to try the A2 magnet in the JB, Does it warm up that mid spike a bit? How would you explain in comparison with the stock A5?

• I've had great results by just changing the cab,, the ownhammer stuff, and others,, made a huge diff, without any tweaks, also I grabed the EQ settings from The rmpacheco Morgan profile and used it everywhere,,adds tight low end and a little sparkle
    hope something fun, is waiting for us next year,
    thanks all for all the great help and advice here,,