Word clock issues

• Hey, new to the forum and new Kemper power rack owner here, wanted one for years, finally got one absolutely love it!! Just one issue (probably not the Kemper) but here goes (sorry if this is in the wrong section):

I’m getting clicking and popping every 10-30 seconds or so when playing through the Kemper and audio interface (works fine when using just my guitar cab). Running Kemper into a Focusrite 6i6 via S/PDIF and set of Yamaha HS7’s out of the 6i6 going into a 2015 iMac 27 running
    Logic Pro X. From what I’ve read the Kemper has to be the master clock in the setup so I have the 6i6 set up as slave at 44.1 (S/PDIF rather than internal clock) in Focusrite Control software but it still has the popping/clicking issue. If I record it picks it up as well. Updated the Kemper to the latest software version but the issue is still there. :(

Any ideas what the cause of the issue could be? Running out of ideas... I am upgrading the interface anyway I have a Focusrite Clarett 8PreX arriving on Friday so will see if it still does it with that, but would be nice to have it all working properly now, it shouldn’t be the issue. Bad phono cable maybe?

• I had spdif gremlins for a while and the nasty creatures left me alone one day and, cross fingers, they have chosen somebody else to bug! I thought it might be the Saphire or the cable but I sorted it out somehow. Good luck. Try another interface though.

Never too old for rock'n'roll

• Clicks and pops are almost always due to buffer settings. Check to see if your buffer is set too low. 128 or 64 samples is ideal. The smaller the buffer, the lower the latency, but it takes more CPU power.

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• Yeah it’s fixed! Didn’t try changing the buffer size but the new interface fixed the problem! No more issues :thumbup:

• What was the new interface that worked ? , I'm having latency issues with the focusrite solo but I have to try and figure out what buffer size will get me the lowest latency but won't start clipping and recording badly and I haven't experimented with it that much yet.

• Yes, I would like to know too! If I record via S/PDIF at 44.1 there are no problems, but at 88.2 I keep losing the lock with a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56. I'm recording now with an old MacBook Pro (2011) and Logic Pro X. My new laptop is in the shop (speaker problems), so I will be testing recording at 88.2 with that machine later. I'm thinking about upgrading the interface to a Focusrite Clarett 8Pre. Or does this interface have the same problems?

• A small update for those who use the search function. I just tested the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 with a 2017 MacBook Pro (usb-c to thunderbolt 2 and thunderbolt 2 to firewire 800 adapters), with an additional firewire 800 to 400 cable.

So, on the standard settings, with the Saffire as master, I get a firewire lock on all sample rates ranging from 44.1 to 192 kHz.

With the Kemper as master, I get a lock on 44.1 and 48 kHz. I couldn't get the word clock to lock at higher sample rates, so the output was crackling and everything. Then I discovered the "SPDIF as AES/EBU" function. I not sure what it does (please teach me, for I am ignorant), but it does the trick. I get a firewire lock on 88.2 and 96 kHz, with the firewire driver latency at short. Even the OctoPre syncs via ADAT!

So, all in all I'm a happy camper (Kemper) and I don't have to buy a new interface.