How sturdy is the remote?

• Hi Guys,

after playing a Club Show (doors opened at 22:00 am and we played from 23:00 to 03:00 in the morning) where there were so many drunk folks dumping their drinks onto the stage I am seriously thinking of getting a remote so that my Kemper can sit in the back of the stage in future concerts. Right now I normally have my Kemper right beside my Behringer FCB1010, that I use to control it, so I can see the tuner and know what Profiles I'm on as I use a Performance for each Song that we play.
    After my Kemper mercifully survived the last gig smelling like Cuba Libré I know that I have to change something.
    Do any of you guys know if the Remote is water resistant? Have you guys had drinks spilled over it? Do you feel that it can take a beating better than the Profiler itself?
    I'm not saying that the Profiler is badly built or something. I'm really glad, that it survived the last gig and all other torment it had to go through. It is build like a tank but the connections on the back make me concerned that it wouldn't like to get drowned in something though.
    Any feedback is appreciated :)
    And happy holidays to everyone :)

• I wouldn't say it is water "proof"; however, I have had drinks spilled on it with no effect (other than pissing me off and making it smell bad). The LCD screen is covered with a Plexiglas cover which is tightly fitted to the metal so there doesn't seem like any leakage could get around it there. Each button has a slight key hole on the edge of it so that there is a small path for leakage past the nut that secures it to the metal base, but any liquid that is simply washing down the front will be deflected by the nut... so it is pretty safe IMO.

The KPA remote is WAY more robust than the kemper itself though. Mechanically, the remote is built like a tank and can take touring abuse without any problems.

It is also much smaller on stage (which really appeals to me).

• I agree,OneEng. the remote is much more durable and robust than the KPA, but it needs to be… After all, it’s on the floor… It was very well thought out and it feels very sturdy and will stand the test of time…
    Now, if possible, I would try not spilling drinks on it
    Keith

• If I were you, I'd leave the Kemper at home. If the clientele are that pissed that they're spilling beer all over the place, then I very much doubt that they are tone aficionados. Take a cheap amp and bugger 'em. They'll still be pissed and happy ;)

• Playing those gigs as you discribe, i never use the remote, but the fcb. So IF something bad is happening its not too expensive. Playing in front of stupid alcs is funny crazy but dangerous for the equipment...

• Playing those gigs as you discribe, i never use the remote, but the fcb. So IF something bad is happening its not too expensive. Playing in front of stupid alcs is funny crazy but dangerous for the equipment...

By FCB you mean the Behringer FCB1010?

• Don't think so, just a bit experience :D

Name one stage and incident where a guy got electrocuted by a FCB1010. It would be all over the web.

At any rate, it's either physical harm or harming your wallet. I know some folks who'd probably commit suicide if expensive gear was destroyed. Heck, dude, if I knew some place where patrons were flinging beer at expensive equipment, what's going to save you anyway if they start hurling that crap at the amps, at the electric sockets, at the lights?

Like I said, you worry way too much. When it's your time to go, it's your time to go.

PS: This isn't advocacy for playing in the rain and other suicidal behaviour.

• Can I pour two beers into the back of my powered Kemper through the vents?
    I think I read something in the manual that said it would only take one beer, and not to go above that…
    I just wondered if anyone has pushed to this level and the resulting tones?
    ;)

• I spilled beer on mine also (surprise) i was lucky as i had straws on hand :D
    i thought about using a Disposable waterproof clear plastic sheet as a protector..
    , mate of mine had a rain coat that was clear and plastic..
    So guess what i did? I bought it and cut it up....it worked ..
    now i dont have that prob so dont use it and thew it out.

If your at a gig with a risk factor like that consider making a cheap one like i did off a clear rain coat..
    or Disposable waterproof clear plastic sheet as a protector.
    Some times you gotta be Macgyver 8o

Remember how you automatically become Macgyver when you need to make a bong? :whistling::thumbup:
    i am just now going to try a Cuba Libré thanks for that :D

i would not risk it Bro!! try the clear plastic coating...its cheap and works!!

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• I think you're the one who is obsessed by electrocution. No one mentioned this before, so I think you worry too much.

Ever heard of short circuit? Let me explain: just drop a small glass of beer into a mains socket and see what will happen. No, not electrocution, but I think when you're playing live, you have a slight problem for a little while. And that's something I want to prevent at all times. So that's the one and only reason I don't want 230V in front of me and/ or close to the audience.