New guitar synth incoming

• So I'm back :D

Got my Roland GR33 in and 4 days later; the power cord X/

The 33 sounds are dated Roland for sure but much better than the other units in this thread. At least by my ears. Tracking with the FTP is great as well. I *think* I am going to use my GR as my midi controller for the Kemper. I will just have to do some creative Midi mapping on the GR to assign PCs in different GR patches to the same basic performance slot equivalent on the Kemper. Little tedious setup but not too bad in all actuality. I've got horns, flutes and 80s synth tones pretty much dialed in. I need to find a good saxaphone patch which is still elusive, even after all the guitar synth gear I've burned through.

Now to reorganize my board so all the stuff fits <X||

• Can you use the FTP to control the GR33? I thought most of the GR units could not accept midi to control instrument and you needed a 13-pin cable. That's amazing.

• I thought most of the GR units could not accept midi to control instrument and you needed a 13-pin cable.

The GR33 has MIDI In and MIDI Out connection. This will we sent by the Triple Play Software on the Computer via his new MIDI Hostbox.
    To connect the guitar direct to GR33 you need the 13-Pin Cable and a GK2(3) PU.

• The GR33 has MIDI In and MIDI Out connection. This will we sent by the Triple Play Software on the Computer via his new MIDI Hostbox.To connect the guitar direct to GR33 you need the 13-Pin Cable and a GK2(3) PU.

Ah that's not the same as the GR55 then.

"MIDI IN cannot access the GR55's sounds. (from a keyboard,Cubase etc) The only way the hear anything from the GR55 is by playing your axe. (at least that helps to keep yer chops up) Seems MIDI IN is only there to change sounds from an outside source. (computer,sequencer etc)"

• Can you use the FTP to control the GR33? I thought most of the GR units could not accept midi to control instrument and you needed a 13-pin cable. That's amazing.

I use a midiHost box shown in the first post to interface the FTP and the GR. The tracking and tones are really workable. I am going to deep dive a bit as time allows this weekend to see how much farther I get with it. Big bummer is I need external power (non pedal-power) for the GR and the hostbox. Which adds another notch of messiness to the situation. Ugh.

• The GR33 has MIDI In and MIDI Out connection. This will we sent by the Triple Play Software on the Computer via his new MIDI Hostbox.To connect the guitar direct to GR33 you need the 13-Pin Cable and a GK2(3) PU.

No PC required. Just FTP dongle into hostbox then midi out of it to the GR33.

• I use a midiHost box shown in the first post to interface the FTP and the GR. The tracking and tones are really workable. I am going to deep dive a bit as time allows this weekend to see how much farther I get with it. Big bummer is I need external power (non pedal-power) for the GR and the hostbox. Which adds another notch of messiness to the situation. Ugh.

Yeah, seems to be an exclusive feature to the GR-33. Then Roland got greedy (surprise) and nerfed the possibility with the GR-55. Quite a pity, I think the FTP tracks far better than the GK pickup.

• Yeah, seems to be an exclusive feature to the GR-33. Then Roland got greedy (surprise) and nerfed the possibility with the GR-55. Quite a pity, I think the FTP tracks far better than the GK pickup.

I wish I could give a thumbs down. As far as I loved the 55 tones but the inability to use it as a sound module just really sucks. I could always get the 13pin gear to track pretty good. The FTP pretty much splits the difference for me between GK and SY300 tracking. AKA good with definite playing technique caveats and flawless reproduction of your picking.

• I wish I could give a thumbs down. As far as I loved the 55 tones but the inability to use it as a sound module just really sucks. I could always get the 13pin gear to track pretty good. The FTP pretty much splits the difference for me between GK and SY300 tracking. AKA good with definite playing technique caveats and flawless reproduction of your picking.

:thumbdown: There is an icon for that :thumbdown:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbdown:

Yes, I think the best solution is the stuff that EHX and Boss are doing with that kind of technology. Eagerly waiting for what they come up with next.

• Where do you manage the sounds for the FTP ,if you have no computer?

The Triple Play just sends midi notes, Frank. Those are sent to his GR-33 or even any synth module he has, just like it would be sent to a computer, triggering the sounds. You can change patches using the controls on the Fishman, but you may as well do that with some kind of footcontroller, or even on the GR-33 in @JiveTurkey's situation.

• The Triple Play just sends midi notes,

My triple note PU per bluetooth to a receiver which works also as a dongle and is plugged in the computer.
    On the PC there run the softwere "Triple play 64 Bit."
    This Software wether it is controlling some software synthi wich are installed extra and send the sounds via the audio interface or send the midi-commands to a Hardware synth which has to be configured .
    To send the Midi command via USB I need a USB to MIDI cable adapter. (or a USB/MIDI Host)
    If you do not have the Fishman FC1 foot controller then this is the only way I know.

• I have a usb/midi host so that's how it interfaces with the GR. Practice is Wednesday. I will know for sure if I'm staying wireless or going back to GK land. Wireless is such a powerful draw.

• My triple note PU per bluetooth to a receiver which works also as a dongle and is plugged in the computer.On the PC there run the softwere "Triple play 64 Bit."
    This Software wether it is controlling some software synthi wich are installed extra and send the sounds via the audio interface or send the midi-commands to a Hardware synth which has to be configured .
    To send the Midi command via USB I need a USB to MIDI cable adapter. (or a USB/MIDI Host)
    If you do not have the Fishman FC1 foot controller then this is the only way I know.

I have a Triple Play too, Sharry. I use mine with the FC-1 foot controller, helps when I don't want to carry too much gear around.

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I use synth heavily in this project. Sadly, I lost my drummer, so now I'm thinking I'll use electronic drumbeats as well.

• I mounted my old GK3 on my backup guitar yesterday. I also went ahead and ordered a 13pin cable from Reverb as well. I found a brand new GK on Amazon for super cheap as well. I will be pitting the FTP and the GK against one another later this week. Both of my guitars are already GK ready as I have hacked them up a time or four throughout the years. Curious to see who "wins the battle" after the smoke has cleared.

• I mounted my old GK3 on my backup guitar yesterday. I also went ahead and ordered a 13pin cable from Reverb as well. I found a brand new GK on Amazon for super cheap as well. I will be pitting the FTP and the GK against one another later this week. Both of my guitars are already GK ready as I have hacked them up a time or four throughout the years. Curious to see who "wins the battle" after the smoke has cleared.

That should be interesting. Remember to try the Fishman in both mono and poly mode. I look forward to your results. It's important to note that with the GK, you will have to plug in to a GR system, or maybe even one of those crazy 13-pin effect pedals. With the Fishman, you can control any midi controllable device, even a drumkit.

• That should be interesting. Remember to try the Fishman in both mono and poly mode. I look forward to your results. It's important to note that with the GK, you will have to plug in to a GR system, or maybe even one of those crazy 13-pin effect pedals. With the Fishman, you can control any midi controllable device, even a drumkit.

Yeah I will drive the GR with the the GK pickup. Fishman is in mono mode as is the GR per Vguitarforum and Fishman. The slight misfires and need for yet another power outlet for the midi host is what is driving the thought process. Also; My the G string is slightly dead and needs some tweaking. It might be able to be fixed by raising the bridge a hair, not sure.