need external reverb help

• Hi guys I’ve had my Kemper for only a few months and it has blown me away after being an Axe FX user for quite a few years. I have one problem and that’s the reverbs....I’m not a big effects user so the Chorus and phasers etc I can live with as I’m only a light user, but I love my reverb and I’m really struggling with it. I keep reading about posable updates but then again I can see posts going back to 2014 where people are speculating about this. So, I’m tempted to get a reverb pedal and maybe the Srymon Big Sky.....well, if ya gonna do it, do it right hey! Has anyone had experience of using it or indeed any reverb with their Kemper. I guess in the loop, can you assign it from the loop into the reverb or would it have to go in A to D or X. I guess the only snag with that is the delayed will be after the reverbs ? Last question, can you then programme different presets on the pedal and via midi trigger them for different rigs ? Thanks For any help guys. Matthew.

• Personally, I am very happy with the reverb in the Kemper. What problem are you having with the reverb?

Also, Have you tried any of the MAB reverbs? Lots of cool stuff there. Here's the link to one of the threads:

MAB Advanced Reverb Release 3 + 4 - Rigs

I do however, have a Eventide H9 in the Kemper loop. That pretty much covers anything that I can'f find in the KPA. I highly recommend the H9.

One additional suggestion that I would make. Pull up one of your favorite rigs on the KPA, then lock just the "Stack" section (Amp, EQ and Cabinet) section. Open up rig manager, and just start click random rigs on the exchange. I do this sometimes, when I'm bored. Often, I will find another users effects setup, that works perfectly with my rig. Save and repeat.

• It’s just simply the quality of the reverbs I don’t like, they are not great. I’ve not tried the MAB reverbs, I don’t even know what that is but I will take a look now thanks. I like your suggestion Dave of locking the amp and going through profiles that’s a neat trick.

808illest it’s not spring I’m after it’s mainly lush large wide halls etc I’m missing the quality on.

I find the reverbs on the Kemper for in the room feel, almost dry with a tickle of verb......that’s fine and does the good just great but then on bigger stuff it kinda fails on the verb front.

Matt

• It’s just simply the quality of the reverbs I don’t like, they are not great

It's an opinion that some other user here also are sharing.
    Kemper knows about and gave once the information that an improvement is on the to do list but not with the highest priority.
    Personal I think that one day they come with a great solution. Till then it is better to use a good stomp box if reverb is so important.

• I dont miss any reverb. When i compare to the old pod times the kpa reverb is great. After they released the new delays there are hughe more options to get cool reverbs in combination with the delays.
    The ducking parameter is an awesome tool. I had also the thought to buy an h9 and put it in the loop but after the release of the delays i dont care for it. A cool reverb tutorial would be very cool. Maybe Thomas Dill can do a tutorial vid.........

• Hi, please forgive me if I won't comment much on the (current) internal reverbs of the Kemper. I've decided to just wait what the future will bring. In the meantime I do have the Strymon Big Sky (and the Mobius & Timeline). So let me comment on that part:

The Strymon effects are GREAT, love them a lot and use them all the time (in the studio). Can highly recommend it but will go into a bit of detail.

1. I have never made use of the "effects loop" options on the Kemper because I don't like the fact that the analog inputs on the backside of the profiler are considerably more noisy than the front input. This might not matter much in a live situation but for me in the studio it's an annoyance. That's the reason I do the routing and mixing outside of the Kemper ... basically routing the Master Stereo output to the Strymons and then mix them.

2. General remarks on the Strymons

2.a. While I seriously love them, there is one small downside I want to mention ... none of these Strymons have a proper built-in EQ. I've had situations where I had to add an EQ in the chain because the combination of all 3 "big" Strymons started to loose a bit of clarity / presence.

2.b. When I decide to use my Strymons for a bit "more" wet effects (e.g. lush ambient stuff), I always miss the GREAT Ducking feature(s) we have on the Profiler. The Strymons just don't have Ducking, neither positive nor negative one. This alone is a HUGE pro for the Kemper and given the options we now have in Delays on the Profiler, the Timeline gets way less use these days. I'm sure that ... if and when ... we get a reverb upgrade, the same will happen to my Big Sky. In the meantime, I use it a lot and couldn't live without it. :)

Hope that helps. Cheers,
    Martin

• Yes the reverbs' can use a little help,, But if they do for the reverbs',, what they did for the delays,, we will all be very happy,,
    it was a long wait,,, but worth it, after being here now for a few years, I see they do get to things, but only when they have it right,
    To sell the best tone machine on earth,, to get what a $50-$100 pedal will do,, makes no sense, get a pedal, until the mother-ship update,, lands ,,
    My 2-cents,, BTW the Friedman butterslax is a monster profile, thanks,,( spelled wrong?)

• It's an opinion that some other user here also are sharing.Kemper knows about and gave once the information that an improvement is on the to do list but not with the highest priority.
    Personal I think that one day they come with a great solution. Till then it is better to use a good stomp box if reverb is so important.

I have played with T.C Electronics delay and reverb for 15 years, and Kemper does not reach up right there! I realy miss the dynamic delay and the best digital reverb ever, but My G-Force is still in my rack! On the other hand i like to have as few things in my chain, so I have learned to live with the Kmper reverb and delay! i have sat for hours and tweaked and tweaked to get as close as i can the "thing" that i like! The blend function between reverb and delay is a nice thing!

• I'm running a Blue Sky in the MOD slot in stereo leaving the X slot open for another stereo effect.
    If I could just move the MOD slot to the end where the reverb slot is that would be copacetic. 8)
    Would changing the slot orders be possible?

The loop is mono send/stereo return, so anything you place in the X slot will be summed to mono for the loop in the mod slot. That's the one real limitation for me with the KPA hardware-the mono loop send. If it was stereo send and return, it would offer much more flexibility with external effects. Not a deal breaker, though, as the only thing that I'm not totally happy with in the KPA is the reverbs. I solved this by running a Lexicon MX300 that I've had sitting around for years after the Kemper. The reverbs are all great, and the spring reverb is incredible-it even allows you to dial in the amount of "sproing" you want.

• Yes, but if you have a stereo effect in the X slot, and the loop in the Mod slot, whatever is in the X slot is going to be summed to mono at the loop send in the mod slot. You cannot pass a stereo signal through the single (mono) loop send jack.

• I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying. The stereo loop can be inserted in the X, mod, or delay slot, and it will return in stereo, but anything that comes before the loop is going to be summed to mono. Note in your pictures that you have one cable feeding your pedal. That signal is mono. The return is stereo, yes.

• You can plug a guitar into a pedal and send it to 2 amps right?
    That's the best I can explain it.
    Here's a track with a stereo Rotary in the X slot at 70 percent and a Blue Sky Reverb in the Mod slot.
    Listen with phones or monitors.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• it’s mainly lush large wide halls etc I’m missing the quality on.

If that's what you're after, try the DLY Main Station preset. While it's a delay preset, it sounds like a lush reverb. I'm using a bit of it here:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.