Can't believe this hasn't been discussed: Universal Audio OX box

• Ox sounds great.
    Speaker sounds great.
    Fryette sound great.

Kemper a bit flatter.

Suhr, yuck.

If you're gonna keep your amps AND take them with you, this looks like a great addition.

I'm impressed. I was thinking the cost was ridiculous, but listening to it, seems worth it for what it can do to tailor your space and make recording easier.

• Relatively new KPA owner, but I’m struggling with if the Kemper is “too much” for me. There are so many profiles but I’ve found I only really need / use a handful - clean and then edge of breakup. Seems like the Kemper is overkill in a sense since I don’t feel i need 100s or amps.

Been contemplating getting the OX and something like a Fender 65 DRRI instead. Clean tones, can get crunchy - and the OX handles both practice (attentuation) and recording (via the speaker modeling).

• The 65 RI is Fantastic!

It’s a 1 trick pony, Reverb set about 3 ish.

Doesn’t like certain guitars. Fender single coils sound famous through it.

As for the KPA, I have many hundreds of purchased profiles, mostly to find those few. Some are free exchange profiles. I like variety just in case, but end up using about a dozen or less mostly.

If I didn’t have a Kemper I’d have a few amps with various tube types (EL34 and 6L6 etc) and 5 different cabinets to ply them out of for variety. So the KPA was cheaper and a smaller footprint.

Try different things and stick with what meets your needs the best but it should be FUN FUN FUN!!!

• There are so many profiles but I’ve found I only really need / use a handful

You didn't sign an agreement that you NEED to use many profiles when you got your Profiler. ;)
    For my own guitar playing I've come down to maybe 5 profiles I regularly use. But interestingly in my case it's profiles I'm really addicted to and the corresponding amps would cost me a fortune. I'm in my 6th year now using the Profiler and from my own experience it took me about a year to find and KNOW my tone. Since then, 2 of my 5 main profiles are still the same, just 3 have changed either because I found a great tone that suited me better or because my taste has changed a little.

Nowadays I'm just as happy with my Profilers as I've been right from the start, it might have even got better. I've bought plenty of profiles and I'm glad I could travel through vast territories of sound (and feel). Nothing of it has been wasted, not time, not money. Today, I can exactly tell what I like and what I don't like. If someone drops in and asks for a specific kind of tone, then I know exactly what to come up with. An experience I don't want to miss.

Of course there's these 1, 2 or 3 real amps (and/or combos) that would look nice to have. But know what? I have them! Right inside my magic ladies handbag (or toaster) called Profiler. This box took me out of the buying/selling/buying hamster wheel. Well, maybe except this one guitar (or the other one) I could still add to my collection, haha. :)

• I think everyone should have experience with a Kemper.

It's amazing, this day and age with all the emulations and all, because you can figure out what you like.

This way IF you decide to get the actual hardware, you have a shorter GOTO list.

The difference I find is that hardware emulations are close, but not as exciting. Whereas the Kemper is the real thing.

I get into arguments all the time, well, not arguments, just differences of opinion. People who haven't tried the Kemper
    saying that things like the Kemper makes "all music today sound the same". I disagree. You have ENDLESS possibilities with the Kemper.

The reason stuff sounds the same is you have the same 10 professional middle-agedl writers writing hits for all the teeny-bopper stars.
    And when the old stars who write music, like the Chili Peppers or David Mathews, etc, they get professional "help" that turns their music making into the same sausage making formula instead of true inspiration.

People also seem to get locked into the same genre whereas music in the past that was great began as a synthesis of genre's.

That's where the KPA can come into focus. Mixing so many amp sounds that never or rarely would be possible for real people due to the costs!

• I’ve found I only really need / use a handful - clean and then edge of breakup

I forgot to mention one more thing that still amazes me every single day I play my Profiler. And that's something that might be big fun for you as well.

In my prior post I wrote that I mostly only use about 5 profiles. Since you're relatively new to the Profiler ... I wrote "profiles" instead of "rigs" on purpose. It's just a mindblowing experience how dynamic the Kemper can be (with the right profiles). It responds extremely well to your picking and to your guitar's volume and tone knobs. You can even make a profile respond more dynamic than the actual amp would. An ever so slightly crunchy sound cleans up so beautiful just by turning down the volume knob a bit. or how the amp responds to switching from picks to fingers. Even the position you pick the strings (e.g. close to the bridge or somewhere around 20th fret) ... what a difference this can make. and then just a few profile tweaks here and there make a totally different rig that still has all of the character you love from the profile it's based on.

I really wish you plenty of fun and good luck finding YOUR tone, It's a wonderful moment when you discover it. I wouldn't have ever found exactly that by buying and selling amps. For example: I don't doubt a second that the Fender Deluxe Reverb is a great amp. But how often do you get to compare it to either other Fenders like a Vibrolux or a Bassman? How often can you compare it to a Two Rock or Supro or one of these amazing vintage Silvertones? There's plenty to discover and while the Deluxe Reverb is kind of a "safe and easy bet" for some stuff, I'm sure that an extended period of curiosity will lead you to the tone that instantly bonds with you.

• I have a number of fender profiles that are every bit as good as my old 65.

If interested, I'll try and track down where they came from. I renamed them, but The RM should have their authors.
    (I put "FENDER - " in front of them so they all show up together) without having to use the AMP sort function.

• Good points! I was having fun browsing Rig Manager this afternoon - definitely a lot of variety! Maybe too much :) But the community ratings help! Have walked back from my ledge of getting an OX.

Would love your favorite deluxe reverb profile tips! Thanks!

• Good points! I was having fun browsing Rig Manager this afternoon - definitely a lot of variety! Maybe too much :) But the community ratings help! Have walked back from my ledge of getting an OX.

Would love your favorite deluxe reverb profile tips! Thanks!

Free Exchange that I like:
    1) FENDER 68 Deluxe reissue 2015-04-28 by Nick58
    2) FD Bandmaster 3 2014-05-12 by Jochen Gedicke
    3) Fender BluesDeVille2 2015-05-01 by Roberto
    4) Fender Champ 1967 2012-12-10 17:48:32 by HAYS (he has 3 so I put the timestamp)
    5) Fender CLAPTON Twino 2012-06-25 17:16:20 by JAN S (he has 2, look to timestamp)
    6) DC-Blues Deville Cin 2016-02-14 by Dave Chamberlin
    7) Fender Hot Rod Devil 2013-12-19 by Peter W
    8).LW Deluxe Rev ST Cru 2012-02-14 by Gondwana
    9) TLSUPERSONIC FENDER 2014-03-20 12:56:00 by LERNOULD THierry the "vibro circuit" in the comment

Commercial that I like:
    1) Bassman 59 Twang 2015-11-26 Andy44 (TAF)
    2) SS - 57 MO3 Deluxe by Soundside.de (armin)
    3) 65 Bassman Tim - M Britt
    4) Suberverb c4 Andy44 or TAF
    5) Supersonic CRK2 or Supersonic PSH by And44 or TAF
    6) Tonemaster BLUES by And44 or TAF
    7) 64 BF Twin Crank by And44 or TAF

Not a Fender profile but.. one of my FAVORITE profiles is the AC 15 Boost HW by AGUS or his Handwired B one that sounds very Beatle's Revolver. Its highly compressed and notes just jangle on it. I like using a P90 guitar on this one. But it sounds just so 'in the room' if you will.

• Great post :thumbup: @db9091

• Hi,

I have had The OX for a bit now, and thought I would do a different preset with each video - rather than just my edited ones - just so you can see what it comes with :)

Sound in the room, then some bollocks, then a bounce from ProTools to get the sound that went in. That's the plan.

They will be on my YT channel - first one today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBG6WAbjyNY&feature=youtu.be

Don't worry...I still LOVE Colin the Kemper :)

Greg

PRS Custom 22's - Fender Strats - Diezel VH4 - Carol Ann OD2 - Toneking Imperial MK2 - Colin the Kemper - CLR Neo ii.

• I sold my Kemper Power Rack ... so, apologies for hijacking a Kemper forum whereby everyone is in love with their Kempers, but we are all here to help each other right?

The Kemper, turned out to be a big surprise from what I imagined prior to purchase. I thought it would shine in the studio and maybe not deliver in a live situation.
    How wrong was I... it turned out to be the other way round, this beast was awesome live but I never got a satisfactory tone in the studio!

So, I have gone back to real valve amps ( 5150, Victory and Boogie ) and go thru the UA OX Box and thats it... happy days!
    After 30+ years of trying almost every solution available, more recently the Two-Notes Torpedo and wanting to get the best possible guitar sound at home without mic'ing up cabs and not losing the feel and expression of an amp in a room during recording, I have hit the jackpot.

I am not an employee or endorsee of UA, in fact the latest OX firmware has screwed up my system so I am pissed off with them, I just wanted to share.

Cheers
    PauL ;)

• Saw this one, ironically (or obviously maybe)...i thought the real speaker sounded best. Then it was hard to guage in the mix...on a quick listen i kind of preferred the PS2 after that and the ox wasn't too high in the list. Would like to hear more and of course try the rest myself :)

A bit amusing to me is comparing the Profiler to the other solutions without making profiles using the other solutions and comparing this. It‘s been a long time that the Profiler is treated like modeling amp (without IRs) in a comparison

CK

• I checked out the Ox a few days - but it sounds like a speaker simulator with some effects - and thats all it is.
    Nothing compares to the accuracy of Kemper Studio profiles yet.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• A bit amusing to me is comparing the Profiler to the other solutions without making profiles using the other solutions and comparing this. It‘s been a long time that the Profiler is treated like modeling amp (without IRs) in a comparison

CK

Actually, having owned the Kemper and comparing it to the OX myself, there is one thing that hasn't been discussed, the FEEL & EXPRESSION of the units. I found the Kemper to be lacking in dynamics and low end grunt. Yes, I tried several settings within the Kemper, even mixing in the raw signal and dialing in pick attack, lag etc. By using a real valve amp you bring the characteristics of the design of each amp used - the output tubes and so forth, which as anyone remotely experienced will know is a major part of how it actually plays. Personally, I find the minutiae of whether each amp & cab profile sounds exactly like the real thing of no use in a recording situation, its as much about playability as sound when working at home. I must reiterate, I am not here to attack Kemper, I loved my one in a live situation I only wish to share my thoughts on an issue that has plagued me for over 20 years of producing and mixing at home ;) x

• Having owned the Kemper and comparing it to the OX myself, there is one thing that hasn't been discussed, the FEEL & EXPRESSION of the units. I found the Kemper to be lacking in dynamics and low end grunt. Yes, I tried several settings within the Kemper, even mixing in the raw signal and dialing in pick attack, lag etc. [/font][/size]
    [font='Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif']
    By using a real valve amp you bring the characteristics of the design of each amp used - the output tubes and so forth, which as anyone remotely experienced will know is a major part of how it actually plays.

Personally, I find the minutiae of whether each amp & cab profile sounds exactly like the real thing of no use in a recording situation, its as much about playability as sound when working at home.

I must reiterate, I am not here to attack Kemper, I loved my one in a live situation I only wish to share my thoughts on an issue that has plagued me for over 20 years of producing and mixing at home x