• A TC M3000 is over $1800, not wanting to spend a lot lol...

They've come down quite a bit since the release of the very accurate plugin ($200) so I got mine for $400 (negotiated) but you see them listed for $500-700 before negotiations on Reverb.

Also I think the Reverb 4000 took it's price-point (running about $1700-1800 now used) and is a superior algorithm but that unit has some compatibility issues with Windows 10 (no updated driver) so I wanted just a standalone reverb. Even if some hi end plugins can out-do this M3000, I wanted outboard gear for tracking w/o latency. And hardware will always hold some value in that $400 range methinks.

• They've come down quite a bit since the release of the very accurate plugin ($200) so I got mine for $400 (negotiated) but you see them listed for $500-700 before negotiations on Reverb.
    Also I think the Reverb 4000 took it's price-point (running about $1700-1800 now used) and is a superior algorithm but that unit has some compatibility issues with Windows 10 (no updated driver) so I wanted just a standalone reverb. Even if some hi end plugins can out-do this M3000, I wanted outboard gear for tracking w/o latency. And hardware will always hold some value in that $400 range methinks.

That makes sense! Hardware does retain it's value, usually.

I almost bought the Lexicon 224, Manley voxbox and EP-24 today. It was close haha.

• That makes sense! Hardware does retain it's value, usually.
    I almost bought the Lexicon 224, Manley voxbox and EP-24 today. It was close haha.

Just Say NO to UAD! haha. I love their plugins, but really, it's like owning a boat: Money Pit. No long term equity. They'll come out with the 224 v2 and merge 224 vintage into it as a "Classic Series" and your equity just went to $0

• GFI Specular Tempus and UA OX were this weeks presents to me for being an awfully good boy!

PRS Custom 22's - Fender Strats - Diezel VH4 - Carol Ann OD2 - Toneking Imperial MK2 - Colin the Kemper - CLR Neo ii.

• UAD has another sale on. Buy 5 plugins for 50% off, 4 for 40%, 3 for 30%.

There are still a few I want to get. Some Manley stuff, maybe a reverb, a different compressor.

They're expensive, but I find even with my limited skills, the results are mind-blowing.

The BAE 1073 DMP -> WA2A beats the same combo in UAD plugins.

The plugins are good and steered me towards what hardware I liked with my vocals. But the Hardware is still tops, even clones (if you get the right ones) outdo plugins still.

The plugins did sound "as good" as my LA610, but I'm reading a lot that an LA610 is neither a 610 nor an LA2A, so maybe that's their equivalent of the TLM103. Their low end products are... low end.

I haven't found hardware or native that can beat the UAD Lexicon 224 yet, but I'm searching.

• The BAE 1073 DMP -> WA2A beats the same combo in UAD plugins.
    The plugins are good and steered me towards what hardware I liked with my vocals. But the Hardware is still tops, even clones (if you get the right ones) outdo plugins still.

The plugins did sound "as good" as my LA610, but I'm reading a lot that an LA610 is neither a 610 nor an LA2A, so maybe that's their equivalent of the TLM103. Their low end products are... low end.

I haven't found hardware or native that can beat the UAD Lexicon 224 yet, but I'm searching.

Do you mean the 1073 (not legacy), and the teletronix LA2A chain? I prefer a 1176 over LA2A. To me it sounds warmer and compliments the character of Neve.

Not much of a fan of 610's either lol, they work for bass nicely but for vox...meh! I see them for sale all the time used.

That Lexicon plug is super nice, I do want it

• Do you mean the 1073 (not legacy), and the teletronix LA2A chain? I prefer a 1176 over LA2A. To me it sounds warmer and compliments the character of Neve.
    Not much of a fan of 610's either lol, they work for bass nicely but for vox...meh! I see them for sale all the time used.

That Lexicon plug is super nice, I do want it

Yes. I have been told that folks like to chain a Mic->1073->76->2A because the 76 takes out the really fast spiky parts and the 2A handles the rest nicely. I see it too because with my U87 I sometimes even through the screen hit a P plosive and it spikes a bit and the 2A doesn't catch that well. (no setting, it's just a slow compression) So maybe down the road I'll grab a Warm Audio 76. They're not that much. $400 ish used? I can lurk and negotiate.

I think in the box is awesome, but truly a rack mount full of neat lights and switches is FRIGGIN COOL MAN, haha

• I agree, did you use your $100 coupon yet from when you registered your satellite? The Manley voxbox is next for me! I have killer waves plugs too so don't need all the UA :thumbup:

I actually got two $100 coupons, plus some other smaller coupons along with the free Helios 69 plugin.

Next on my list is this interesting room simulator that models the Ocean Way studio room. I can see that as being really beneficial, I often tend to overdo some of the more zany reverbs. This one seemed like it could be dialled in very subtly.

• Ocean Way is the only UA plug that has ever made me want to go the external DSP route..I have a lot of outboard and none of it can properly replicate what I heard OW do the last time I was in a pro studio. It was VERY real! I think it gets overlooked a lot because it doesn't have a shimmer setting! But for a serious studio - without a huge live room it is pretty much perfect!

PRS Custom 22's - Fender Strats - Diezel VH4 - Carol Ann OD2 - Toneking Imperial MK2 - Colin the Kemper - CLR Neo ii.

• Ocean Way is the only UA plug that has ever made me want to go the external DSP route..I have a lot of outboard and none of it can properly replicate what I heard OW do the last time I was in a pro studio. It was VERY real! I think it gets overlooked a lot because it doesn't have a shimmer setting! But for a serious studio - without a huge live room it is pretty much perfect!

Yup, great plugin.

Although, I must say, so far, I've USED the Lex 224 and Slates VerbSuite and NOT the Oceans yet. It sounds fantastic, but I seem drawn towards others when I actually do mixing.
    Not to knock Ocean Way, just strange I haven't used it yet considering how great it sounds.

Maybe that's the problem? Maybe it sounds too real, haha!

• I had always heard of it but never really looked into it.

db, would you say money better spent elsewhere and just get one or the other re: Lex & OW?

Definitely TRIAL them, tracking with them on what you feel you need the reverb for (i.e. Vocal?)

For vocals, the 224 is the bomb for me. You have to tame the wetness of the preset. Do this by turning OFF the "SOLO" button which is on by default and very wet and use the DRY and WET buttons to toggle the % down to about 25 or so and adjust to suit.

Also trial VerbSuite by Slate. It's probably the most versatile reverb plugin going. (It emulates the 224, not as good as the UA,but pretty good, but it also emulates the Bricastic M7 which for VOX is fantastic)

I think Ocean is better for Instruments, so that may be what you're looking for in guitars?

My preference is 224 first tho. It just doesn't destroy your take like some reverbs can with fakeness if you use it sparingly. (i.e. adjust it solo, then listen in the mix and turn it down until you barely can hear the effect UNLESS the effect of reverb is what you want for the part)

• Ocean Way wouldn't be my first choice as an effect - its more to stop your instruments sounding small!

Slate Verb is excellent, and would be my first choice for a plug-in!

• Ocean Way wouldn't be my first choice as an effect - its more to stop your instruments sounding small!

Slate Verb is excellent, and would be my first choice for a plug-in!

What I've been toying with is the Wet/Dry issue. I know you can record both ways, so I'm setting up my hardware reverb to do that in the apollo (dry in case the wet track doesn't work in the mix)

But the issue is, singing wet sometimes makes for a different performance, better that is, because you sing different based on the reverb you hear while tracking.
    Decisions you make on vocalizations differ. You get more "in the mood".

And you can't really do this in the box easily, because plugins have latency. UAD isn't so bad because it's "in the box" due to the DSP.
    But other reverbs not on UAD DSP (VerbSuite) induce latency that can be noticed.

But if you don't track with reverb, it's ALL good, haha.