Comparison of TC Electronic Mimiq and Strymon Deco (Automatic Double Tracking)

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I did this video that I thought would help some of you guys. Both pedals are amazing imho. :thumbup:

Use headphones or monitors to hear the differences.

• Thanks Brother!!! will check it out, i already bought the mimiq like you suggested and its works great...
    maybe ill put Mimiq on one kemper and the other on my second kemper..
    hmmmm let me check the vid out thanks man!

Edit..interesting you have the EXACT settings on the mimiq as i do DRY/EFFECT
    EXACT...i have tightness different but thats exact otherwise.

A heads up, his Audio voice is LOW, but when he plays guitar its loud
    so dont adjust the volume to his VOICE..it nearly blew my monitors when his chops kicked in lol

@nightlight AJ you bastard you did it again , now i gotta buy another pedal LOL
    gonna put that on the second kemper (Strymon)

the Strymon blend stereo demo you did really did it for me.
    AJ every time you do this i am out of money LOL (luv ya man)
    I gotta get it because i am running TWO mission stereo FRFR's
    its gonna be FAT my brother, i really appreciate you posting this man
    Thank you AJ :) GOTO 10:12 in the vid WOW!!

What happens if you daisy chain the TC and Strymon together 8o
    Hopefully this can work on the kemper okay

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

Edited 8 times, last by ashtweth: BEER ().

• Hey guys,

Can you explain this double tracking thing a little deeper?
    Never heard about that. When I hear the demo, my first thougt was

ok, transpose some halfsteps down
    chorus or better pitch hamonizer

ready. I' ll try to get a similar sound out of the kpa with the onboard fx. Do you think it is possible?

Cheers
    Frank

• I had done something very similar with the Kemper a while ago, Frank. What you need to do is have a very short delay, some modulation like micro pitch and chorus and morph a few of their parameters simultaneously and continuously. It would be best if this is a random type of morph, much like a randomised LFO. Otherwise you will have to continuously move the pedal erratically and that won't be any fun at all.

Unfortunately, I found that even with a randomised LFO (using another midi device to feed the morph command to the Kemper continuously), there was a bit of phasing and other unwanted behaviour like flanging due to the small range of values that is in play.

We've been clamouring for an effect like this to be included in the Kemper, but no luck with Mothership as yet.

• Glad you liked it, Ash! But I wouldn't worry too much about your current setup. The Mimiq is damn good and you really don't need it in the loop. In the video, I am feeding both amps with one input each from the Mimiq. Sounds absolutely huge. Keep in mind, this is just one guitar being played, not double tracking.

Also, not too sure if there are any benefits from daisy chaining the two devices, but it is an interesting idea!

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• I had done something very similar with the Kemper a while ago, Frank. What you need to do is have a very short delay, some modulation like micro pitch and chorus and morph a few of their parameters simultaneously and continuously. It would be best if this is a random type of morph, much like a randomised LFO. Otherwise you will have to continuously move the pedal erratically and that won't be any fun at all.
    Unfortunately, I found that even with a randomised LFO (using another midi device to feed the morph command to the Kemper continuously), there was a bit of phasing and other unwanted behaviour like flanging due to the small range of values that is in play.

We've been clamouring for an effect like this to be included in the Kemper, but no luck with Mothership as yet.

Hi Aj,

I tried one sound.

Profile is an Bogner XTC from sinmix, cab 1960 AV fredman 1 from Lars & Frank (deadlight)

Fx are Gate in A
    TRP-4 in B
    Chrom in MOD ( no waveform)
    Delay

Just a quick shot, sorry for crappy playing. Just to demonstrate what happens with this fx.

What do you think? For me it's fun to play with this profile and the TRP fx with a normal 6 string.

External Content soundcloud.com

Cheers
    Frank

• Ah, there's no transpose in that clip I put up, Frank. It's an 8-string :)

It's a good sound, but double tracking needs modulation of some kind to be happening in terms of time. That's one of the reasons I asked Kemper to give us LFOs that could control FX parameters many moons ago. Then we wouldn't need ADT pedals, we could try and make our own.

That said, the pedals sound far better than something just cobbled together due to the dedicated algorithms for the purpose. Like two guitarists playing.

• Yes, I thought you played it with your 8 string AJ.
    I haven't one, that's why i used the transpose fx and I think it's a cool result for a six string (-:

I missunderstood the modulation thing. I thought modulation is a no go.
    So i will search again how to get a discret modulation into it.

Btw: The recording is done with a bogner xtc and after that I tried some other profiles from sinmix di pack.
    The sound is much better with a dual recty. More punch and clearness for the deep tones.

It's fun to check this out.

• Happy experimenting, Frank! I had posted about this some time ago.

Video is long gone, I have a whole platoon of people following me around like what happened to Dimi, but that poor b@stard was weak haha

• You are right AJ,

Without a second independent time parameter no way.
    Got some cool sounding clean and distorted results when trying, but nothing in the ballpark of the deco.

BTW: On youtube I saw a another stompbox which is (imho) more cool than the mimic and the deco.
    Called Keeley 30 ms.

• You are right AJ,

Without a second independent time parameter no way.
    Got some cool sounding clean and distorted results when trying, but nothing in the ballpark of the deco.

BTW: On youtube I saw a another stompbox which is (imho) more cool than the mimic and the deco.
    Called Keeley 30 ms.

I tried the Mimiq with the Kemper.
    Goal was to double the guitar.
    But I was not satisfied. There was a little phasing effect
    and it did not sound like a real doubling.

• How were you runnig it and with what rigs? I have found that the phasing/chorus effect can be taken down to a Min depending on the amount of guitars and the rigs your using it with. Of cause i use it not in the effects loop, i use it as an out put into the kemper input.(running 2 kempers)

here is the best video i have found showing the Strymon settings (this one is really good for me)
    i just want more boost like most, so i think maybe after all my BS the mimiq may still be enough for me(as AJ said)
    I like the one Frank posted tho....

External Content www.youtube.com

Ash

• Well, I used the Mimiq in the insert (stereo) of the Kemper to double the guitar.
    And the sound was not the same as if two guitars are playing.
    That‘s one thing I really miss in the Kemper:
    guitar hard left with rig1 and another rig (different amp) panned hard right.
    But this will not come.

• Well, I used the Mimiq in the insert (stereo) of the Kemper to double the guitar.And the sound was not the same as if two guitars are playing.
    That‘s one thing I really miss in the Kemper:
    guitar hard left with rig1 and another rig (different amp) panned hard right.
    But this will not come.

I tried to do the same thing yesterday with the Deco and was quite underwhelmed with the limited range of settings I could use to get a crushing twin guitar sound. Seriously, I would recommend using these pedals with stereo rigs and not mono. But some users have reported good results. It was definitely better running stereo than mono in the Kemper loop though.

PS: Which slot did you put the effect it? Use the mod slot.

• I tried to do the same thing yesterday with the Deco and was quite underwhelmed with the limited range of settings I could use to get a crushing twin guitar sound. Seriously, I would recommend using these pedals with stereo rigs and not mono. But some users have reported good results. It was definitely better running stereo than mono in the Kemper loop though.

PS: Which slot did you put the effect it? Use the mod slot.

I tried slot D and Slot X.
    But I was not satisfied with one of them.

• I tried slot D and Slot X.But I was not satisfied with one of them.

Try the mod slot. That one is stereo. Both D and X are mono slots, so the stereo signal you are returning gets summed to mono. That would cause phasing.

EDIT: I'm spreading misinformation! The X slot is also stereo. Apologies.

• Well I tried to use it after the stereo loop effect in a slot before.

It has to be in the stereo loop effect, but place it in either the mod or delay slots. Otherwise, the stereo signal gets summed to mono, because all the slots before mod are mono.

EDIT: blah blah, more misinformation. All post-amp slots are stereo, including X.

• It has to be in the stereo loop effect, but place it in either the mod or delay slots. Otherwise, the stereo signal gets summed to mono, because all the slots before mod are mono.

I,had a stereo signal, one hard panned left, one hard panned right.