Better octaver..

• The current octaver is good but I would like to have something more "vintage" & "organic"..like the Boss OC-2.I have the feeling that the current octaver does change the ampsound to much,making it sounding unnatural,no matter how much I try to tweak it.

• I tried it in the Kemper, and agree. It's not as good as something like a POG. I love the sound of a POG set one octave low with just the right mix.

I'm not that familiar with the POG, but it is probably not a flip-flop octaver (like a Blue Box or OC-2, or the Analog Octaver stomp emulates).

For a 'cleaner' sound then the Analog Octaver stomp creates on purpose, use the Chromatic Pitch pitch shifter. Try the 'Smooth Chords' and 'Formant Shift' settings.

It's too easy to dismiss the pitch shifters in the Profiler which broad statements like this - some of the best ears in the industry are finding the pitch shifters rather spectacular.

Use the right tools for the job.

• I'm not that familiar with the POG, but it is probably not a flip-flop octaver (like a Blue Box or OC-2, or the Analog Octaver stomp emulates).
    For a 'cleaner' sound then the Analog Octaver stomp creates on purpose, use the Chromatic Pitch pitch shifter. Try the 'Smooth Chords' and 'Formant Shift' settings.

It's too easy to dismiss the pitch shifters in the Profiler which broad statements like this - some of the best ears in the industry are finding the pitch shifters rather spectacular.

Use the right tools for the job.

I actually think the Transpose, and especially Whammy, effects are great! Much better than my Digitech DSP 1101, which is funny as they make Whammy. But that POG is very smooth...smoother than what I heard out of the Kemper. That's all I was saying. And yes, I did try the Chord Smooth and Format Shift settings. It added latency.

• I wouldn't buy an analog octaver , so a digital version or one that worked better would be fine with me, so
    two versions in the kemper analog and one that worked well [ digital ] sounds like a reasonable compromise , user choose!

• Kemper is best in class as far as pitch shifting goes. Gotta be something in there to work with!

Agree completely..actually I do everything with the pitch shifting and almost nothing with the ocatver in the kpa..

But this is not my issue at all.I just wanted to comment on the fact that the current octaver does lack some sort of "character"..better said "vintage flair"..

The current one in the kpa is much to "clean" for my taste as is the OC-3 compared to the older OC-2.

• Did a comparison of my EHX Hog 2's octaver versus the transpose, chromatic pitch and analog octaver effects in the Kemper.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

If you want a simple octaver, I'd recommend the chromatic pitch! Heck, I'd use it over the transpose and even the analog octaver anyway!

In fact, I'm wondering whether Kemper wants to just port the chromatic pitch code to replace the functions served by transpose and the analog octaver. Much, much better!

• @nightlight

I'm afraid you're not getting the Analog Octaver. It sounds different than pitch-shifting and is it's own classic effect.

It's like analog vs. digital delay - the digital delay will sound much cleaner and true to the source, but the 'warm' (=low pass filtered to avoid excessive noise) sound of the analog devices still is desirable.

• @nightlight

I'm afraid you're not getting the Analog Octaver. It sounds different than pitch-shifting and is it's own classic effect.

It's like analog vs. digital delay - the digital delay will sound much cleaner and true to the source, but the 'warm' (=low pass filtered to avoid excessive noise) sound of the analog devices still is desirable.

Thanks for the tip, @DonPetersen! I'll experiment with it some more and see if I can put it into some kind of musical context.

• Replace the Transpose by what?

• i have a Hog2, it has the freeze and gliss effect using the expression pedal, it is amazing

i am still learning how to use it, it is very complex as the ravish sitar... the envelope section composed by decay and attack and the filter with resonance and frequency can reproduce realistic violins and other beautiful sounds..

Yesterday i was wondering how kemper could simulate part of the hog2 sounds, for instance, if kemper could feed the 4 initial stomps with the dry signal without one reacting to the other, you could reproduce a chain of Analog Octavers and get a sound full of different octaves and still having the dry sound...

I will spend some time with kemper octaver and to be honest i barely used it...

• Hi @szykman

Actually I am trying the same.I use 3 different oct/pitch-effects (right now one harmonic,the chromatic and the octaver) to create more "flubby"/"chaotic" but not to "atonal" sounding effects..something you get from many ethnic-music sounding double string instruments where the different dynamics of the right hand attack create this very nice and "wild" and "woody" sounding thing you get from an Oud or Lute etc..I am still working on it but one thing is for sure:The whole idea of this is working much better with any sort of "acoustic profile" like the Acoustic A/E in the rig exchange (profiles made by Baldringer)..with electric/tube amp stuff this is all very atonal and most of the times it just sounds like a bass on crack(what I am looking for is an Oud on drugs.. :D ).

There is a lot of work to be done there and I appreciate any good idea how to create "double string sounds" which sound..well not "natural" (this should be to difficult without any "modelling") but at least somehow "musical" in a strange way.With other fx (compressor,OD-pedals etc) you can create very raw & "basic" sounding stuff like an "overdriven Oud" or at least something in this direction(even Lute or Sitar or whatever one can imagine).

As I said..this is not work for one person but any ideas and experience is very welcomed.Lets stay "in touch".. ;)

• Replace the Transpose by what?

Probably too gung-ho a statement Mr CK. What I was driving at was how much better the chromatic pitch seems to track than the transpose when you use a setting like +7. The transpose sounds glitchy and a bit synthetic. The chromatic pitch on the other hand seems to have a slightly more "rounded" sound to it, even without the smooth chords and other settings.

So while the transpose works for some simple transposition, up to say +/-5 by my reckoning, as well as the octave, it does not compare to the chromatic pitch. In fact, chromatic pitch has a slightly different character from transpose, even when at the same setting, and sometimes that may be what a user is driving for. At other times, there is no other option: the transpose sounds really artificial, whereas the chromatic pitch sounds pretty good.

In that respect, it would be good to have the transpose pick up the best from the chromatic pitch algorithm as well. It sounds great in some settings, but a lot of them are unusable for any serious purpose. The chromatic pitch, on the other hand, seems more usable with various settings.

• my favorite octaver ever is the one in the kemepr honestly :/ ... hmmm have you tried all modes ?