Do You Find the Kemper Favors Certain Guitars Over Others?

• I dare say we've all had the experience of finding that certain tube amps do better with single coils, others with humbuckers--without even getting into more nuanced distinctions of style and genre. Because the KPA does such a wonderful job at capturing the nuances of a wide array of amps, it makes sense that some profiles would work better with some guitars and others with others. Having said that, I've been surprised to find that I nearly always reach for my strat--a Brondel and Thornton Nowcaster--when firing up the Kemper. Some of this may be explainable by the fact that, having liked the Nowcaster with the KPA from the start, I've tended to tweak profiles to suit it. But it does have me wondering: do those of you who have way more time with the Kemper than my three months find you prefer it with a certain guitar, or certain styles of guitar?
    Thanks!

• It's all profile dependent. The KPA doesn't care, but you have to match the profiles to the guitar you're using. I have my performances grouped for specific guitars, with a short, two or three letter prefix code to identify which guitar that particular performance was adjusted for.

• It's all profile dependent. The KPA doesn't care, but you have to match the profiles to the guitar you're using. I have my performances grouped for specific guitars, with a short, two or three letter prefix code to identify which guitar that particular performance was adjusted for.

This gybes almost entirely with my limited experience. Do you have different versions of the same profile set up for different guitars or, more likely, profiles set up for the guitars that match their style best? The one reason why I've gravitated toward single coils with the Kemper is that I find it easier to ride the edge-of-breakup margin, where I like to live. That said, I've mostly been playing through headphones at home or through monitors at the studio and have not yet had occasion to crank the thing through an FRFR live.

• This gybes almost entirely with my limited experience. Do you have different versions of the same profile set up for different guitars or, more likely, profiles set up for the guitars that match their style best? The one reason why I've gravitated toward single coils with the Kemper is that I find it easier to ride the edge-of-breakup margin, where I like to live. That said, I've mostly been playing through headphones at home or through monitors at the studio and have not yet had occasion to crank the thing through an FRFR live.

It's a mix of the same profiles tweaked for different guitars and different profiles. Whichever works best!

• The Profiler has no signature sound, how a certain guitar will perform with a Profile depends on the Profile alone.

I have all kinds of pickups in my guitars: low and high output single coils, active and passive humbuckers, minihumbuckers, P90s, SC sized humbuckers, lipstick pickups, goldfoil pickups...

it's all good.

• I'am with Don.

I use jem, evh, gibson les paul and strat and my input sense are locked at zero. I took care about my pickup hights, that's it.

The god sound ( imho) depends on the profile and a very underrated thing, the cab.

I posted it several times, don't care if it is a studio profile. Try to change the cabs if you find cabs which work fine for you.

If it sounds good, it is good.

Hth

Frank

• EQ is very important too. I believe that graphic Eq, placed after the stack, can improve the quality of the profiles.

• EQ is very important too. I believe that graphic Eq, placed after the stack, can improve the quality of the profiles.

Yes, that's true. The important thing for me is, when needed, to set the low and highpass there. I use it, when the profile needs it and when I use it, I have setting from 80-100 lowpass and 5500 up to 7000 for highpass. Very helpfull.

• I am with Frank and Don.

I got a 9 string, actives, single coil and humbuckers. I get the same consistent quality on all, BUT it does depends on the rigs and the knowledge one has to understand and tweak the machine, but we all knew that right?

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• Some of this may be explainable by the fact that, having liked the Nowcaster with the KPA from the start, I've tended to tweak profiles to suit it.

I started with EMG's and found some great sounds. When I started using other guitars, even looking for similar sounds, I had to retweak significantly and/or look for other profiles. Making guitar specific presets for distortion sense also made it easier to use multiple guitars.

• Yup thats why i wont buy from vendors unless i know the pick up used for refining now.
    I know you can make rigs that sound good be it single coil , humbucker or actives BUT.

You can make a BETTER rig when the refining(amps settings etc) has this application in mind, for example singe coil etc.
    Berts Rigs sound good on both BTW (but he tests them on both)

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

Edited once, last by ashtweth ().

• @ashtweth I don't think it has anything to do with the refining process, which tries to match even more accurately the profil to the source. It has more to do with the settings on the amp for a particular pickup and the EQing used if any. It can also help to play with definition and clarity settings and once proper EQ, definition setting and clarity is tweaked for the pickup, I think any overall good sounding profil will sound great with any pickup, but that's just my opinion!

• It has nothing to do with the Kemper itself and everything to do with how the original rig (that a profile is based on) was dialed in prior to profiling. The same rig dialed in to sound good using a Les Paul with Humbuckers may very well sound too bright using a Fender with single coils.

• Yes thats what i mean sorry guys rigs made to suit single coils/HB's based on the amp settings :)

Ash

• I find with my own profiles that if I use the exact guitar the profile was made with, then, that profile seems to have a bit extra mojo, even if the profile isn't very good sounding. YMMV.