Noob interface problems

• Hey,

I'm a novice when it comes to recording. When I plug my headphones into the jack in the front of the kemper, it sounds incredible. Right now, I am going from monitoring out in the kemper into line inputs in my Line 6 UX2 and analog out into my monitor speakers and it does not sound nearly as good as it does when plugged in the headphone jack on the kemper. Even when recording onto my DAW, it sounds a bit dull and low.

I am tempted on buying a better interface (which I probably will, UX2 always has problems) but first I want to figure out if I need to change some settings etc.

If anyone could throw some pointers out to a newbie (small words please lol) or even recommend me an interface that works well with the Kemper, it would be much appreciated.

thanks!

• Check output settings of the KPA. Page 3/6, make sure that the Monitor Cab off isn't checked. Any reason that your using Monitor out instead of the Main Outs into the Line 6?

• Check output settings of the KPA. Page 3/6, make sure that the Monitor Cab off isn't checked. Any reason that your using Monitor out instead of the Main Outs into the Line 6?

The Monitor cab off is not checked. I had it plugged into the main outs and it sounds exactly the same.

• What kind of monitors and headphones are you using? There will be a considerable difference in sound to your ears with closed headphones and monitors into the room atmosphere. Plug your headphones into the Line 6 and see if it sounds as good as the KPA headphone out. Do you have headphone space on?

• What kind of monitors and headphones are you using? There will be a considerable difference in sound to your ears with closed headphones and monitors into the room atmosphere. Plug your headphones into the Line 6 and see if it sounds as good as the KPA headphone out. Do you have headphone space on?

I have Sony MDR-7506 studio headphones and M-Audio BX5 monitors. When I plug the headphones into the line 6 it does not sound the same as when I plug into the headphone jack on the kemper.

Not sure how to activate headphone space. I'll look into that.

• In my past dealings with AI's, they're only as good as their drivers/control software. Having no personal experience with the UX2: how is the control software that was included with the UX2? Does it display sample rate and buffer settings? Any latency values represented?

If you just want to buy something new and updated, the Focusrite products are a good value for the sub-$500 market. I'd avoid the 2i2 and the 2i4 models, as they are USB power only, and the headphone volume is said to be weaker as a result. The 6i6 2nd Gen would allow you to use SPDIF and has a separate power adapter, for better headphone volume.

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• In my past dealings with AI's, they're only as good as their drivers/control software. Having no personal experience with the UX2: how is the control software that was included with the UX2? Does it display sample rate and buffer settings? Any latency values represented?

If you just want to buy something new and updated, the Focusrite products are a good value for the sub-$500 market. I'd avoid the 2i2 and the 2i4 models, as they are USB power only, and the headphone volume is said to be weaker as a result. The 6i6 2nd Gen would allow you to use SPDIF and has a separate power adapter, for better headphone volume.

I made sure the drivers were updated and I have to run "Podfarm" to get sound. After reading through the forums, it seems like quite a few people have issues with the UX2 and kemper. I think i'll pick up the Focusrite 6i6 on payday.

Thanks for the help

• When you listen using headphones plugged into the Kemper, you are probably hearing the sound with "Headphone Space" applied as it's on by default. Press the Output button and you should find it on page 5 of the output settings (labelled "Space"). ThIs isn't applied by default through the Main Outs, which is why you are hearing it differently when using the interface headphone outputs. You can set the "Space" setting to be applied to the Main Outs as well by unchecking the "Space->HeadphOnly" option on that same Output settings page on the Kemper; you probably wouldn't want it on when using monitors though. It may be easier to save 2 different output settings as presets to easily switch between them...
    Hope that helps!
    -Durwin