TC Mimiq in X Slot

• I finally pulled the trigger and decided to buy a TC Electronics Mimiq pedal after hearing good things about it. I tried to connect it in the X effects slot using the stereo loop, and I was disappointed to say the least. I sounded like a weird/bad chorus. It didn't sound like the samples on Youtube at all. Then, I tried connecting it after the Kemper, using the 1/4" main out L/R, and connecting my FRFR speakers directly in the Mimiq's L/R output. WHOA! Now it came alive, it sounds SOOOO good. It really thickens the tone. The problem with this setup is two-fold though:

1 - I usually use balanced XLR hookups to the FOH when I'm not using my Kemper at home, and the Mimiq has unbalanced 1/4 outputs
    2 - Even at home, I practice a lot using headphones (yeah, sometimes it sucks to have young kids ;) ...). I then lose the ability to use the headphones output of the Kemper

My question is, how do you connect it in the loop? Here's what I tried:

Direct out (send) -> Mimiq Input 1 (marked mono)
    Mimiq output L -> Kemper return
    Mimiq output R -> Kemper alternate input

Then, I used the Loop Stereo effect in the X slot, but it results in the weird chorus. Am I missing something? I also notice that even my I turn the pedal off, turning ON/OFF the X slot results in a change in volume that seems to stabilize after a second. What's going on?

Thanks!

Edited 2 times, last by MattWylde: Fixed typos ().

• @MattWylde Hi Matt, if you go to the top of page 2 here you can see how i have it connected directly into the kempers input
    Comparison of TC Electronic Mimiq and Strymon Deco (Automatic Double Tracking)

I get less of the coloring with the tightness and wet/Dry settings shown, i really wish i could picture how you have it set up brother, if you ever upload a photo(as i cant picture how you have it set up) please let me know :).

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• I have 2 kempers i had to prostitute my ass to get them :D:P^^
    Name me ONE artist that uses one amp :rolleyes::)

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• Alright, it turns out it was a stupid mistake. I changed my mixer configuration recently, and my L/R channels were not panned. I was hearing summed mono, which resulted in the weird chorus. It also confirms that you can't really layer the tracks in a recording, but it's close enough for my live gigs. It sounds good now, thanks!

One more thing, is there a difference between the X and MOD effect slots?

• Alright, it turns out it was a stupid mistake. I changed my mixer configuration recently, and my L/R channels were not panned. I was hearing summed mono, which resulted in the weird chorus. It also confirms that you can't really layer the tracks in a recording, but it's close enough for my live gigs. It sounds good now, thanks!

One more thing, is there a difference between the X and MOD effect slots?

Use the mod slot, man. I believe the X slot is mono, which means the stereo signal from the stereo loop is summed to a single signal. If you try this out in the mod slot, you should get better results... But...

I firmly believe that the best use from these kinds of pedals is in stereo setups. You get a sense of separation and a stereo image that sounds just like two guitarists playing.

• I firmly believe that the best use from these kinds of pedals is in stereo setups. You get a sense of separation and a stereo image that sounds just like two guitarists playing.

Yes, I have a semi-stereo setup. I only have 1 Kemper, but I use two FRFR speakers far enough from each other (at home). The effect of the Mimiq is very noticeable, I like it! Of course, it would be awesome if we could split the Kemper and use 2 amps (or cabs) at the same time, 1 for left and 1 for right. I don't know if the Kemper has enough CPU headroom for that...

• I also feel that the sound is a little better with the Mimiq out of the loop, but it's less convenient. I'm not sure why what is so. Even with the mix as 100% and 0dB ducking, it seems the Kemper still messes with the sound returning from the pedal. I also notice a volume jump when turning ON/OFF the X effect, and it returns to normal after a small delay (less than 0.5s). It might come from the additional A/D digital conversions required to operate the loop.

• Matt i run 2 mission Gemini 2 stereo cabs, just trying to find out how you connected these man
    "connecting my FRFR speakers directly in the Mimiq's L/R output."

What FRFR"s do you have is there any chance you can upload a photo?

Ash

• What FRFR"s do you have is there any chance you can upload a photo?

I use cheap Behringer B112D but they sound pretty good for the price. They have both 1/4 and XLR inputs. I simply used a 1/4 guitar cable and connected one speaker in each of the Mimiq's output. One speaker for L, and another for R. The speakers themselves are mono. I can upload a photo later if you want.

• Thanks Matt clears it up, all good on the photo brother. Have you tried it the way i have it set up?
    (Stereo out mimiq -> the input of the kemper ), i still think your set up may be better and less coloring
    however i run 2 mission stereo cabs so have to have it set up that way.

Ash

• Thanks Matt clears it up, all good on the photo brother. Have you tried it the way i have it set up?
    (Stereo out mimiq -> the input of the kemper ), i still think your set up may be better and less coloring
    however i run 2 mission stereo cabs so have to have it set up that way.

No, I'm not sure how I could without 2 Kempers. Your setup is very logical with a true stereo setup though. It must sound really good, especially with the Mission cabs!