Auditioning lots of profiles

• Hi,

So you've downloaded your new pack with gazillions of profiles and now you've got to go through the process of auditioning to select those that are going to be your keepers.

If you're a Kemper Remote user then the looper is your friend!

Set the looper position to pre and record some stuff, go to browse mode and then select away remembering to mark rigs as 'favourite' for any rigs you want to come back to later!

Hope this helps.

Si

• Connected to a DAW, with a riff player in a loop. I go through the pack with the Rig Manager, tag my favorites. I often make a second pass though my favorites to try to keep profiles that really sound different.

• Its a good tip although I think it has been suggested before. I personally find I get tone fatigue pretty quickly listening to the same riff over and over, and its hard to capture on loop something that encompasses all types of playing. But, don't let that discourage you!

• I agree but it helped me as when I'm playing I find it a little hard to be impartial and objective :)

Once I hit something killer the hours disappear and I never get to the end of the profiles list!

Si

• I agree but it helped me as when I'm playing I find it a little hard to be impartial and objective :)

good tone is highly subjective. always.

Once I hit something killer the hours disappear and I never get to the end of the profiles list

if you struck gold, why keep digging? ;)

also in my experiences pretty much any Profile can sound great if the user is able to work with it. And I don't mean tweak the Profile - simply by selecting the right guitar (pickup) and playing style you can make any Profile breathe - just like an amp.

A pre recorded loop won't do this.

• good tone is highly subjective. always.
    if you struck gold, why keep digging? ;)
    also in my experiences pretty much any Profile can sound great if the user is able to work with it. And I don't mean tweak the Profile - simply by selecting the right guitar (pickup) and playing style you can make any Profile breathe - just like an amp.

A pre recorded loop won't do this.

Agreed.
    Selecting a profile and playing a few chords usually sparks a few classic riffs which used similar gear and I know pretty quickly if the profile is a keeper.
    Sometimes I'll switch guitars with different pups just to make sure.
    For me, trying out new amps is a big part of the fun of owning a Kemper....love it. :thumbup:

• Brother, anything that leads to conversation involving different perspectives is a good post IMHO. Don't feel like your effort is unappreciated - because it is appreciated.

• I am selecting profiles just like you said, looper on pre position, riff playing, can be a riff and a small solo, i am not using rig manager by now, but i am using the headphone, after selecting the desired rigs, i hear then again throught the PA and real speakers, can sound very different. The profiles that sounds good on both drivers (headphone and speakers) i will create a snapshot of then to check then later after resting my ears!

Edited once, last by szykman ().

• Play a backing track at the same time unless you are just searching for fiddle along profiles.

Manny „great“ sounding profiles do not sound great in a band context.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Is it possible to use the Looper for dialing a profile without the kemper remote?? :rolleyes:

You can hear the very detail of the sound when you're not playing guitar at the same time!!

• Is it possible to use the Looper for dialing a profile without the kemper remote?? :rolleyes:

You can hear the very detail of the sound when you're not playing guitar at the same time!!

yes, you can use a two stomp switch (or two regular switchs) to start record / overdub and to stop

also you can choose the position of the looper to pre or post rig

there is a parameter over system menu, you must go to the correct page and even if you do not have the remote and the parameters will shown as greyed options, even then you can switch the position of the loop

the default position is pre i guess, so you can change the rig and the loop will change and you can use it to hear the profiles without having the strum chords like a crazy fool...

• yes, you can use a two stomp switch (or two regular switchs) to start record / overdub and to stop

So i will have to free slot A and B from the effects slot?

Place a Looper effect on both A(start record) and B(stop) slot?

What if i don't have free slots?

• Hi

you do not need to place a looper in the slot A or B, i think this loop in the slot is the effect loop (the position of a third part effect such as a pedal attached to your send return loop)

in fact is just assign a switch to loop start loop stop over system menu

and you are ready to go, simple like that ^^

• Is it possiible to record with the looper if you don't have the remote foot switch?

• I record a few tracks in my DAW of the dry guitar signal. I record some clean arpeggiated chords, for clean profiles, some rock rhythm tracks, and a couple of lead tracks.

I then set the loop points in the DAW, and open Rig Manager. I set the Kemper input to reamping. Hit play in the DAW, and can check a ton of profiles on the computer in no time. If any profiles hit me, I put them into a "check again" folder in RM. Depending on the type of profile, I solo the track in the DAW.

Using this method, I can go through a large amount of profiles in no time.

• I record a few tracks in my DAW of the dry guitar signal. I record some clean arpeggiated chords, for clean profiles, some rock rhythm tracks, and a couple of lead tracks.

I then set the loop points in the DAW, and open Rig Manager. I set the Kemper input to reamping. Hit play in the DAW, and can check a ton of profiles on the computer in no time. If any profiles hit me, I put them into a "check again" folder in RM. Depending on the type of profile, I solo the track in the DAW.

Using this method, I can go through a large amount of profiles in no time.

What are you using for your interface for the pc? When you say you set the KPA to reamp, are you running an out from the pc interface to the KPA to be able to do this? Hey i was checking out your website, very cool man! Do you still have that '84 Baretta? I have an '84 Pacer with an JBJ pickup in it, amazing tone. I'm about to strip it and redo everything on it. It had a rough life but the neck is straight as an arrow.

Edited once, last by IronWord ().

• What are you using for your interface for the pc? When you say you set the KPA to reamp, are you running an out from the pc interface to the KPA to be able to do this? Hey i was checking out your website, very cool man! Do you still have that '84 Baretta? I have an '84 Pacer with an JBJ pickup in it, amazing tone. I'm about to strip it and redo everything on it. It had a rough life but the neck is straight as an arrow.

Kemper into Focusrite 18i20, reamping via spdif. Not only do I still have the Baretta, it has become my "go to" guitar. I have 2. Black/white bullseye, and a red/white bullseye.