New approach for modelling guitars - next big thing?

• Seems that someone just worked on my vision

Quote from faraway

Nov 29th 2017+1
    i had a JTV 59 from 2014 - ... I used the acoustic models during rehearsals, I rated them inappropiate for shows. I think modelling guitar sounds needs another evolution that most probably must be to get rid of the piezzo pickup and use the impulse response technology. ...

Seems that an italian start up is going to launch my product of dreams... ;)
    http://www.musicradar.com/news…tar-with-sim1s-xt-1-pedal

I´m really curious...

• No you couldn't, Shawn.

EQ only allows you to add or subtract to or from what's already there (in this case, a given guitar tone), whereas impulses replace tones altogether with others.

IIRC, the L6 guitars have been using convolution (impulse) techniques for years.

• Very interesting indeed. I wonder if this might work best starting with a piezo source? My memory is a bit rusty but I'm pretty sure this is why the original L6 Variax guitars had no normal pickups. Might be wrong.

• It has.

I've said many times here that I think the acoustics on the JTV (haven't tried any of the newer models since Yamaha bought into it, but for now I assume the firmware is the same) are terrific.

Well, easily-good-enough at least for a bit of jangle-jangle in the mix, which is what I intend using them for.

• Newsletter received:

Configuration Manager 1.5

An easier way to profile your Guitars with XT-1!!

Thanks to the new version (1.5) of the Configuration Manager for PC/Mac, the user has now the opportunity to rapidly turn the profile of his Source Guitar to a Target Guitar Profile. This is a really important upgrade, that makes XT-1 even more unique! Until yesterday Guitar Players had to send their Guitar Timbers (IRs) to the Community, and download them in order to use them as Target Guitars. Now this procedures is much faster and the User now can even test his Guitar Target Sound before sharing it with the Community !!

New Folders to organize better your Guit Arsenal !!

You can add to "Preferred" the guitars that you like more, and cancel those you do not need. Your setup will be much well-ordered !!

• In the video: "now it sounds like a Stratocaster". No it didn't. I wouldn't waste my money on that gadget.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• In the video: "now it sounds like a Stratocaster". No it didn't. I wouldn't waste my money on that gadget.

As more videos turn up I find this gets more and more interesting. Please note this is not a guitar modeller but a profiler. There’s one video out there showing the calibration and profiling procedure.

This is definitely not a gadget.

Gianfranco aka viabcroce told me that one is on its way to him.

The Sim1 certainly will not giving you the haptic experience of playing a 335 over a Strat, but with playing a Strat you could have any Strat pickup combination at your fingertips, for example, and that’s where I see the greatest benefit of this unit.

Also, similar to Kemperland, the Sim1 analogy of Rig Exchange already gets more and more populated with guitar profiles of users that are provided FOR FREE.

Let’s acknowledge innovation when we see it.

This is clearly the case here.

• This is pretty convincing. This is an improvement over Variax I think.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I am all into modelling and now profiling guitars. I own the Boss GP-10 and the Antares ATG. I want to get a Variax eventually and definitely the Sim1. It is only a beet steep price for me and wish the I/O were more flexible.

• This is an improvement over Variax I think.

Sorry to disagree, CG, but that's nowhere near as realistic as the Variax JTV or the newer Yamaha models (same FW). The original Variax acoustic models left much to be desired, but the JTV series ushered in huge improvements of the electric, dobro, banjo, resonator, sitar and acoustic models.

That's just this particular Profile 'though; I'm sure there'll be better out there soon, if not already.

• Sorry to disagree, CG, but that's nowhere near as realistic as the Variax JTV or the newer Yamaha models (same FW). The original Variax acoustic models left much to be desired, but the JTV series ushered in huge improvements of the electric, dobro, banjo, resonator, sitar and acoustic models.

That's just this particular Profile 'though; I'm sure there'll be better out there soon, if not already.

I think the boss acoustic pedal sim is better.