definition at 10?

• I've been doing some profiling of late and I noticed that seldom does the definition go up to 10 automatically when I profile.

I think of increasing definition as being akin to some kind of rectification... It can sound good, but at the same time, I don't think it automatically should be changed to 10 if that is not what the original amp sounds like though.

Edit: I've got tonnes of profiles where the definition was set to 10, most of them high gain profiles in particular.

And some of those profiles definitely sound better than they do with lower definition. But I can't help but think some of the definitions were tweaked after profile creation.

Discuss.

• As far as I have understood: the definition gives you the oppotunity to make a sound more vintage ( settings from 0 to prox. 5) or modern ( 5 to 10).

I have seen many many profiles which comes up with definition at 5 ( f.e. Andys from TAF) and I can go from 5 to whatever I want.

I dont really understand why a profiles comes up directly with 10. Enlighten me.

Cheers
    Frank

• I have no idea, Frank. I based this post on what I have read other users say about increasing definition to 10. IIRC, a lot of Sinmix's profiles were with definition at 10, for example. I also just checked the Keith Merrow factory profiles, a lot of them are set to 10. Lasse Lammert too.

There is definitely some merit to it. I've tried it and it sounds like the sound has been smoothened out somehow (like some kind of rectification perhaps).

• Maybe it depends on the the power of the profiked amp. Guido Bungenstock has written that he tried to profile a marshall rr and it was impossible to profile because it is too loud. I dont know why because I never profiled an amp. I am only a user...

Cheers
    Frank

• Definition is just tightening the low end of it. Very rare will an amp automatically output to 10 , very few have actually ended up as 10 from my experience. A tube screamer will certainly put it to 10 but most amps wont so if you see a Marshall with a definition of 7 or higher than you know its either been tweaked or is using a pedal.

Any Marshall should be able to be profiled. I got a nice vintage JMP here that profiles flawlessly and it's basically the same setup as that RR amp. If its too loud then that can be easily solved with an attenuator or a master volume mod. If you're ever in doubt of the legitimacy of an amps definition you can just pm me and i'll see if I've got experience with it.

• I have only profiled 2 Amps, one was my old 1969 Marshall super lead with the original cabinets - when I shared it with a friend he noticed the definition was on 10 - I did not put it there !!! What I'm wondering is when the manual tells you to start with a similar amp, before you profile, if it takes the definition that's on that similar amp, to the new profile.

• I've never heard anyone say the definition should be 10 - do you have a thread you can point us to where this discussion came up?

I recall seeing a couple of posts about raising it all the way up, but couldn't find them.

Anyway, after Don pointed out how click-baity my original thread title (and post no doubt) were, I've modified the post now.

• I have only profiled 2 Amps, one was my old 1969 Marshall super lead with the original cabinets - when I shared it with a friend he noticed the definition was on 10 - I did not put it there !!! What I'm wondering is when the manual tells you to start with a similar amp, before you profile, if it takes the definition that's on that similar amp, to the new profile.

the Definition setting is determined automagically during the Profiling process.
    the Profile active before switching to PROFILER has noting to do with the resulting Profile, it is only recommended to start with a similar Profile, so you have a guideline/reference while setting up your amp/mic. ;)

• the Definition setting is determined automagically during the Profiling process.the Profile active before switching to PROFILER has noting to do with the resulting Profile, it is only recommended to start with a similar Profile, so you have a guideline/reference while setting up your amp/mic. ;)

Does this mean that a hot amp goes nearly up to 10 and vintage ones are near 5? I wonder that I have so many profiles with a 5.0. I think a 5.0 is tweaked after profiling when a complete profile pack is @ 5.0.

• Does this mean that a hot amp goes nearly up to 10 and vintage ones are near 5? I wonder that I have so many profiles with a 5.0. I think a 5.0 is tweaked after profiling when a complete profile pack is @ 5.0.

from the Reference Manual - pages 75-76 "Definition":
    "Vintage amps distort the lower harmonics in the guitar signal which gives them their bluesy sound. These amps were originally designed to deliver a clean sound, so to achieve a creamy distortion, these amps need to be driven by a typical transistor-based device like a treble booster. Modern tube amps use a different approach, in which the higher overtones of the guitar strings are the driving force for the distorted sound. The expensive boutique amps take this concept one step further, by providing an extreme level of top-end frequencies and a large dynamic range. The distortion has a sparkling quality to it, and preserves every nuance of the strings and pickups."

so a tweedy, fuzzy amp would have a lower Definition value, while modern, bright sounding amps often have a much higher Definition value.
    It's pretty much about the pre-distortion shaping that happens in an amp.

hth

• When definition is at I find the sound too harsh , espescially when it’s been added unnaturally

At 10 you mean? I usually lower to about 8 on most high gain amps. With high gain pickups it sounds a little bit too much def on 10.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Does this mean that a hot amp goes nearly up to 10 and vintage ones are near 5? I wonder that I have so many profiles with a 5.0. I think a 5.0 is tweaked after profiling when a complete profile pack is @ 5.0.

I wonder if this is because you like the sound of profiles with definition around 5, and those are the ones you actually bother to tweak?

When a complete profile pack is around 5, it may be due to the preferences of the person doing the profiles, and/or the amp itself

• I wonder if this is because you like the sound of profiles with definition around 5, and those are the ones you actually bother to tweak?
    When a complete profile pack is around 5, it may be due to the preferences of the person doing the profiles, and/or the amp itself

Hi Michael,

My question was about how the definition of an amp profile appears when profiling.

I like profiles where I can set the definition up or down to my taste. If a profile comes up with a 10 I only have the chance to go down with the definition. But I don't care so much on it, because most of the profiles which come up with a 10 are too harsh for my ears and can say that a standard in my tweaking is to reduce it from 10 to prox. 8 or lower.

Cheers
    Frank

• At 10 you mean? I usually lower to about 8 on most high gain amps. With high gain pickups it sounds a little bit too much def on 10.

You can still retain the 10 but you may just need to lower the presence a bit , watch the mids and low end. Of course though its horses for courses.