Setting output level for recording

• Hey guys,
    Now that I have the rack version hooked up I deal with some trouble in the sense of setting the output level.
    Right now I use the xlr Main out, briefly I will switch to s/pdif.
    The Main out is at 12.6db and I dial in the level of my interface so that red lightning almost doesn't appear,ok?
    Sometimes I want to have a rig a tad louder while noodling to a YouTube video for instance. When I turn up the rig volume I get clipping which is quite obvious since I drive my interface harder.
    Any ideas how to set the levels so that I can adjust them without causing clipping?

stay tuned... :thumbup:

• If you increase the volume of what goes into the interface as the way to "hear" it louder then of course eventually it will clip. I don't think you can avoid that.

Better would be to have a small 4 channel mixer that kemper goes into and monitors are driven off the mixer. Then you can independently increase volume of the kemper sound without touching your rig volume - just turn it up at the mixer. Hope that makes sense?

• All I do is reduce the volume of the YouTube video, and then turn up the speakers.

That way the volume of the Kemper in relation to the YouTube video is louder. There is probably a better way to do it like the mixer method above, but this works for me.

• All I do is reduce the volume of the YouTube video, and then turn up the speakers.

That way the volume of the Kemper in relation to the YouTube video is louder. There is probably a better way to do it like the mixer method above, but this works for me.

That´s how I do it!
    I just thought there´d be some kind of a magic trick... ^^

stay tuned... :thumbup:

• The Main out is at 12.6db and I dial in the level of my interface so that red lightning almost doesn't appear,ok?

if the inputs of your interface have a "Clip" or "OVL" LED, these should never blink.

Setting the level so hot that you are in danger of overdriving the inputs of your interface isn't necessary at all, at 24Bits you have a very low noise floor anyway - recording with 'hot' levels was only somewhat desirable when working with analog and very early digital gear.

• My main output is locked @ 18,5

• The input knobs ( stereo) on my interface ( Steinberg ur 242) are up to 12 o clock. No ovl led is blinking and I can see a good input level in cubase . Maximum headroom without overflow. This settings give me good results when recording. I used the kemper chrunch rig as a reference and I must say that most of my bought commercial profiles fit directly to this level. Some of sinmixes profiles are over this level ( some free ones from users too), I dont care about that. A little correction and it works perfectly.