Another Powered Kemper Thread!

• Hello,

My name is Jesse Luciani. I am a future Kemper owner (as soon as I can finish paying it off). I have a question with regards to the Powered Kemper, I have tried searching but can't for the life of me find an answer.

My plan was to use the Powered Kemper with my Hughes & Kettner cab, I am aware that this will add colour to the tone. I have a few questions if I can't get the right sound from my speaker....

1. With the Powered Kemper option could I still use a powered speaker if I choose? Is it possible to bypass the power amp on the Kemper?

2. Am I able to plug the Kemper directly into a PA instead? (PA is also Powered, the speakers are not).

3. Am I able to just plug the Kemper directly into one of my unpowered speakers?

4. Does the Powered Kemper have all the same options (in terms of speaker use) that the unpowered has, just with the added option of the power Amp?

Thank you to anyone who can help me out. I look forward to the learning curve ahead of me, and maybe one day I'll be good enough to help another noob out in the future!

-Jesse

• The only difference is an added output jack for the powered output. (speaker output)

All other uses (even use all at once simultaneously) just hook up the other gear to the other outputs.
    Example- Main output xlr to p.a.
    Main output 1/4" to powered speaker.
    There's a couple more outputs you could use at the same time to your soundcard to record or send to a monitor system.

1) No need to bypass, just unplug from the speaker output, use a different output.
    3) Yep

So many ways you can go....

• Hi Jesse

Welcome to the forum.

I have personally never tried it but people do get mixed results with the Kemper through a guitar cab. The Kemper is meant to produce the sound of the amp, cab and microphone (the sound an audience would hear through the Pa) . You can disable the cabs aims in the Kemper but from what I have read the Kemper then sounds very similar on most profiles due to the cab being 80% of the amps sound.

To answer your questions:
    1) yes you can still use a powered speaker. I own the powered Kemper but use a powered Pa speaker for sound. I just like the idea that if my Pa speaker broke I can use the power amp to a guitar cab for emergency monitoring.

2) yes and this is the preferred method of most users. The Kemper is very configurable for instance you can have multiple outs say mains to front of house PA whilst having an output to the powered monitor. You will have separate volume for both connections so you can send a good signal to the front of house and then never touch that volume. You can then use the volume to control your stage volume without effecting the front of house signal.

3) yes but if the speaker is unpowered you will either need the powered kemper or some sort of amplification.

4) the only difference is the power amp.

The Kemper does have a learning curve but straight off the bat you will find great tones. The learning curve is if you want to profile your amps and whilst the interface is extremely intuitive it still take a while to understand.

I purchased the powered Kemper with the foot pedal, 2 mission pedals and a DXR10 power speaker. If I was to purchase again I would not buy the powered version, I would have purchased a second DXR10 instead (I sing too so would have provided an independent speaker for vocals plus if one breaks I can just use one) and only a single mission pedal.

There are people who use the Kemper via a guitar cab but I would factor in needing a FRFR system too just in case it does not work out sound wise for you.

Mike

• As stated above:

1. With the Powered Kemper option could I still use a powered speaker if I
    choose? Is it possible to bypass the power amp on the Kemper? Yes although its a different output

2. Am I able to plug the Kemper directly into a PA instead? (PA is also Powered, the speakers are not). Yes and as well as...I often run a 4 x12 and also go direct into the desk

3. Am I able to just plug the Kemper directly into one of my unpowered speakers? Yes, I do this as stated

4. Does the Powered Kemper have all the same options (in terms of
    speaker use) that the unpowered has, just with the added option of the
    power Amp? Yes.

Guitar cabs will work pretty well with the Kemper but just a word of warning - profiles that sound good through a guitar cab can sound poor when going direct. Therefore if you want to go direct, check the profiles via a PA or FRFR/monitor first before investing too much time in them. When I moved from conventional cab to FRFR and direct, I ditched all my profiles...

Hope that makes sense

• Guitar cabs will work pretty well with the Kemper but just a word of warning - profiles that sound good through a guitar cab can sound poor when going direct. Therefore if you want to go direct, check the profiles via a PA or FRFR/monitor first before investing too much time in them. When I moved from conventional cab to FRFR and direct, I ditched all my profiles...

Hope that makes sense

That does make sense, thanks for bringing it up.