Terrible Buzz/Hum Problem with Suhr Classic Strat and Kemper Amp

• Hello,

I’m experiencing a loud buzz when using my Suhr Classic Strat guitar and my Kemper amp. The Kemper is going directly into the band’s PA monitors via two XLRs. I’m not using a guitar amp.

The severity of the buzz makes it [Suhr Classic Strat and Kemper] impossible to use. The severity of the buzz does not lesson or strengthen on different rigs, rather, the same intensity of the buzz happens on all rigs.

My Suhr Classic Strat pickups:

• Neck Pickup V60LP, SC, Neck, White
    • Middle Pickup V60LP, SC, Neck, White
    • Bridge Pickup V60LP, SC, Bridge, White

I asked Suhr tech support if my pickups were noise cancelling single-coil pickups. I got the following response:

"Your guitar does have our SSCII system which quiets the single coils to humbucker noise levels"

Other facts:

• The soft knob “Line Frequency” setting is set to 60 Hz. I tried 50 Hz with no change in buzz
    • The Kemper’s ground lift does not help

NO BUZZ

These combinations of my Suhr Classic Strat, or Fender Stratocaster with Lace Sensor pickups, work perfectly with NO BUZZ

BUZZ

Suhr Classic Strat and Kemper amp results in an enormous amount of buzz and renders my Suhr Classic Strat unusable.

Researching this issue has led me to the following possible solutions, although I’m unable to test because I have to wait until the next gig to do so:

Hum X - http://www.ebtechaudio.com/humxdes.html

Ebtech HE-2 XLR 2-channel Stereo Hum Eliminator with XLR

Any suggestions on the best way to solve the buzz would be most appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Tony Ventura

• Is Shur Classic the only guitar that cause noise with the Kemper?

This is the first step. I suspect that any guitar will have the same result, since the Suhr works with your regular amp. Have you tried a different cable from the KPA to your powered speakers? Is the hum in both speakers?

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• My Fender Stratocaster with Lace Sensor pickups works perfectly with the Kemper. No Buzz. My Suhr Classic Strat works perfectly (no buzz) with my Axe-Fx II XL+. Just doesn't work with the Kemper.

Yes the problem is only with the Suhr Classic Strat.

Yes, the hum is with both PA speakers.

I did open a support ticket, prior to submitting this post.

Regarding making a short recording, I'll have to wait until the band's next gig in February to do so, as I only get the buzz when playing through the 10-piece band's PA system. No buzz at all with my Suhr and XiTone 12" Active wedge.

No, we (sound engineer) have not tried different XLR( 2) cables.

Our sound engineer thinks "there is something about the Suhr pickups or wiring or shielding that is causing the problem". Next steps would be contact my trusted guitar repair person and get his opinion.

Very frustrating.

Thank you all for your thoughts,
    Tony Ventura

• Dean_R,

Earlier today, I took my Suhr to a guitar tech, great friend, great guitar player, and luthier to see if there is a loose wire, damaged shielding or anything else. I'm curious to hear what he has to say.

I'll provide an update once hear back from him.

Best
    Tony

• its very strange! seems like quality singlecoils is very sensitive to buzz/noice.. I got very much buzz when i play at home in my DXR. I ts dimable lights in my musicroom. i have made an on and off switch to the ligjts, but that did not help. I play Tom Anderson strat and Tele, and the strat is worst!! I think its a issu with fat sharp clean strat sounds! I think you cant have a complete buzzfree strat with magnetic single coils, but my Kemper is the worst i hav had regarding fiss and buzz!. It realy depends on the venue, but dont feel its a big deal troug our JBL PA. My tubeamp is not realy near the Kemper in buzzing. I can make a comparison!

• If the buzz would be caused be grounding problems you would have the buzz with any amp and not only with the Kemper. But who knows, things can happen in any direction...

• Since it's a Suhr I'm guessing there already is a foil faraday cage in the control cavity? If not, installing some aluminum foil etc. might help.

[Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/srPLF2w.jpg]

Also, does the space where you get the hum lit by fluorescent lights? Those can cause hum with single coils. One more cause can be bad quality power in the building, do you get the same hum regardless of venue?

Other causes could be dimmer switches, having lighting powered from the same sockets as the audio, badly grounded sockets etc.

• I'm getting the buzz regardless of venue.

I'm curious to try my Tom Anderson, "Classic", Strat type guitar with SC1 SC1 HC2 pickups. The Tom Anderson guitar is extremely quiet when plugged into a Fender Deluxe, however, I've not had the opportunity to plug the Tom Anderson guitar into the band's PA, which is where the buzz problem happens. Plugging the TA or the Suhr into my 12" Active XiTone FRFR cab is extremely quiet, no buzz at all.

My Suhr Classic which is the guitar in question is in the hands of the guitar tech. He'll be able to tell if there is a problem with the inside electronics.

Thanks,
    Tony Ventura

• No More Buzz

The buzz problem [using Kemper Profiler with Suhr Classic Strat], which was absolutely terrible has been solved. I've played three gigs over the past weekend, with no buzz. And, one of the gigs I played did have a terrible buzz the previous time we played at this particular venue (with Suhr Classic Strat and Kemper).

I've been taking all of my guitars throughout the years to a local guitar tech, luthier and great guitarist, who is the best around PA/Delaware area. He is does all major guitar work for the local music stores.

In his own words:
    All I did was remove the resistor from the input terminal of the volume control that was leading to ground (the casing of the control). I am not sure what function that serves, although I’m sure the techs would know. I have seen this used before, years ago on a Peavey guitar!

I can now use my Suhr Classic Strat with my Kemper. I guess the obvious question is, is there something in Suhr's electronics that demand the resistor? I'm waiting for response from Suhr regarding the importance of the "resistor".

Hope this is useful to anyone else using a Suhr with the Kemper.
    Tony